Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Options re dental/orthodontic insurance?

Options re dental/orthodontic insurance?

Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:09 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options re dental/orthodontic insurance?

Originally Posted by ukecadet
That seems pretty good price to me.The top 2 will be a straight forward extraction but the bottom pair will probably require surgery.

Just paid more than that...
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
Just paid more than that...
God grief. Hello stranger. How's you and the family?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:18 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

The teeth are just starting to show now.He finished his treatment about 2 years ago so not sure I'd be able to ask for money back.Teeth were spotted on last check up by dentist.
I mean in the plan, that their growth should have been accounted for in the first place... that they weren't is a gross omission.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:37 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Currently in the throes of two kids having major orthodontic work and holy cow is it pricey. Initial treatment for eldest is just under $3000 with only $600 coming back via our health care fund. Still to find out costs for child number two
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:00 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain - three kids with dogdy teeth.

Eldest needed a Herbst (ridiculous - kept falling out and 'locking open' and had to be removed) and then fixed braces.

Middle child needed an extraction under GA, then an expander for her top jaw that we had to maniulate every day for a month with a little spanner (that was fun!) and youngest son has just had the same expander treatment - only having it removed last month and a plate in place now to retain the good work.

Wave goodbye to the best part of $10k

On the plus side.........

Oh wait - there isn't one

Jules x
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
I feel your pain - three kids with dogdy teeth.

Eldest needed a Herbst (ridiculous - kept falling out and 'locking open' and had to be removed) and then fixed braces.

Middle child needed an extraction under GA, then an expander for her top jaw that we had to maniulate every day for a month with a little spanner (that was fun!) and youngest son has just had the same expander treatment - only having it removed last month and a plate in place now to retain the good work.

Wave goodbye to the best part of $10k

On the plus side.........

Oh wait - there isn't one

Jules x
Have they got nice big smiles??
Old Feb 7th 2013, 11:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How did they meet the criteria/what treatment was needed ?
I'm interested as I have just finished paying around 20,000 for my 2 boys. And now discovered one of them has to have 4 wisdom teeth removed else his orthodontist work will be back to square one.
Sorry it's been a while but I've only just got my hands on my laptop after lending it to my youngest

Anyway both girls had to have major jaw surgery and the Orthodontist and Surgeon determined both were required not just cosmetic. First Born had upper jaw moved forward and Tiddler had upper moved forward and lower moved back. Because it was deemed required they got it all under Medicare. Both had to have their wisdoms out to make room for the surgeon to saw through the jaws so he managed to get that covered as part of the required surgery. We should have paid for the wisdom surgery but he wrangled it, don't know how.

Had we had to pay they wouldn't have had it done as for both of them it would have added to about 50 grand all up.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:06 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Sorry it's been a while but I've only just got my hands on my laptop after lending it to my youngest

Anyway both girls had to have major jaw surgery and the Orthodontist and Surgeon determined both were required not just cosmetic. First Born had upper jaw moved forward and Tiddler had upper moved forward and lower moved back. Because it was deemed required they got it all under Medicare. Both had to have their wisdoms out to make room for the surgeon to saw through the jaws so he managed to get that covered as part of the required surgery. We should have paid for the wisdom surgery but he wrangled it, don't know how.

Had we had to pay they wouldn't have had it done as for both of them it would have added to about 50 grand all up.
That sounds like a couple of painful procedures. A brave call on your part.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:44 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

My friend (An Australian Citizen) went to Indonesia last year and had his 4 front top teeth removed and had a false set made there, cost him 4 grand instead of the 20k+ he was quoted here.

The false plate never fitted properly and caused him immense discomfort and pain, now the teeth either side of the 4 he had removed have flared up with infections and complications and he has to have them removed and a new plate made so he is off back to Jakarta to have all that work done, another 3 or 4 grand + flights and accommodation and time off work.

No guarantee that it will be anymore successful than the last time but he is still insisting on going there to have it done rather than pay Australian dental fees.

Hard to see the sense in doing it the way he is but when I mention the risks he just grumbles and changes the subject.