Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to move to Sydney, should we?

Wikiposts

Opportunity to move to Sydney, should we?

Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:15 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunity to move to Sydney, should we?

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Well that explains it then! Sydney would be cold in winter for you.

For me.......nothing more than a cool breeze and the odd shower. All a bit of a non event really....and I'm in Orange - where they told me it was freezing. When I get to the coast - I'm back in thongs and t-shirt! And the occasional wooly jumper.

Give me a year or so - then I'll be saying its freezing too!
Rah....

I'm in SE QLD at the moment - end of the school year we'll be moving down to join Himself in NSW.

All he does at the moment is moan about how cold it is, but he is a gertsoftsuvverner (from Kent, lived for 4 years in York and moaned about the cold all the time there too, the soft jessie) - he's working in the CBD and commutes in from Penrith on the train - 50 minutes from Penrith to Centralon the express, so all good. We'll be looking at living just over the river from Penrith, in the very low foothills of the Blue Mountains - anyone know just how cold it will actually get in the winter? How hot will it actually get in the summer? I'm presuming the humidity will be a lot less than here, but am I just kidding myself?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We'll be looking at living just over the river from Penrith, in the very low foothills of the Blue Mountains - anyone know just how cold it will actually get in the winter? How hot will it actually get in the summer? I'm presuming the humidity will be a lot less than here, but am I just kidding myself?
You can get frost in the Penrith area in the winter - so you should expect below-zero temperatures occasionally at night. Summers will be quite - er - warm. Penrith is one of the hottest parts of Sydney in the summer. Because it's so far from the sea so you feel the extremes of the weather.

If you're living a bit higher up in the lower Blue Mountains, then it will be cooler - both in the winter and the summer.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:55 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Penrith gets steaming, esp in the middle of the city/town during the day in the summer. I don't know why it's so hot but it's surrounded essentially by flood plain... It is HOT.
Penrith does get humid but not too bad I would say. Air con is your friend.
In winter, it can drop to -1 or so.

I like to pop into Penrith for some biking by the lakes if it's too cold up in the mts. :-)

Living in the Blue Mountains is like living in the UK for the most part. It's bloody cold and frosty in the winter. We can get -5 if it's very cold. Summer is gorgeous. Hotter than a British summer but nice and temperate.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:22 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Tharn
So, when Sydney has a winter, just exactly how cold does it get? Thick coat or warm jumper?
It depends on your cold tolerance, and how you react to people looking at you in a funny way....

In my first winter in Sydney, I was standing on the railway platform in a short sleeve shirt, while everyone else had jumpers and jackets.
I did the same the next day, not because I felt cold, but because everyone made me feel odd !!

Some years later, I began to know what they thought, after I too began to feel cold in winter. So I moved to QLD

Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:50 pm

And you still get cold in Winter, don't you!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:51 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
You can get frost in the Penrith area in the winter - so you should expect below-zero temperatures occasionally at night. Summers will be quite - er - warm. Penrith is one of the hottest parts of Sydney in the summer. Because it's so far from the sea so you feel the extremes of the weather.
Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Penrith gets steaming, esp in the middle of the city/town during the day in the summer. I don't know why it's so hot but it's surrounded essentially by flood plain... It is HOT.
Penrith does get humid but not too bad I would say. Air con is your friend.
In winter, it can drop to -1 or so.
Thanks guys - sounds like I'll cope

Unlike Himself, I'm a Northern Hillchild (and spent the last winter before we emigrated with no central heating) so I'm used to cold, in the summer I'll just have to park my derriere under the air con unit like I do now!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:53 pm

Thanks guys - sounds like I'll cope

Unlike Himself, I'm a Northern Hillchild (and spent the last winter before we emigrated with no central heating) so I'm used to cold, in the summer I'll just have to park my derriere under the air con unit like I do now!
Hope your move goes ok.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:00 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Hope your move goes ok.
Thanks TP.

Its weird, I'm more worried about moving interstate than I ever was about emigrating in the first place!

Hey ho.

Sorry Mr OP for hijacking your thread
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:03 pm

Thanks TP.

Its weird, I'm more worried about moving interstate than I ever was about emigrating in the first place!

Hey ho.

Sorry Mr OP for hijacking your thread
You'll be fine.
Gis a call for a coffee.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:51 pm
ABCDiamond

We'll be looking at living just over the river from Penrith, in the very low foothills of the Blue Mountains - anyone know just how cold it will actually get in the winter? How hot will it actually get in the summer? I'm presuming the humidity will be a lot less than here, but am I just kidding myself?
You will be living not far from where I used to live.

It does get HOT, 40+ is not uncommon. Railway lines sometime buckle under the heat, not very often though.

In winter, the car windscreen froze "once" in about 6 years. I think my wife used to own a pair of gloves down there, and I actually ended up wearing jackets.

I can only compare between just East of Penrith and where I am in the Bayside, and I don't need the Air con anywhere near as much up here.

Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tharn
Hello all;

My partner and I have the opportunity to both move to Sydney to take up academic posts there. We have an 18 month old child and both in our mid - thirties.

Question is, should we up-sticks from London and move south?

We do not own a property, only things holding us back might be our family (our parents are getting on), finances (we have some debt, and new positions might not pay the riches we need).

London is a grind and has worn us both down over the last 5 years, and so prospect of warm weather all year round, beaches and out doors life very appealing.

How does sydney compare to London, I have lived in San Francisco before and familiar with the friendly / out going nature of people in that part of the US, would Sydney-ians be similar?

Any way, just pontificating right now in a meandering way, opinions and thoughts welcome/needed in order to help us decide.

cheers

T
Yes you should, although this is probably the most ridiculous question you could ask on an internet forum.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:40 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You will be living not far from where I used to live.

It does get HOT, 40+ is not uncommon. Railway lines sometime buckle under the heat, not very often though.

In winter, the car windscreen froze "once" in about 6 years. I think my wife used to own a pair of gloves down there, and I actually ended up wearing jackets.

I can only compare between just East of Penrith and where I am in the Bayside, and I don't need the Air con anywhere near as much up here.
Thanks ABC - railway lines buckling is good as it'll keep Himself in work (he's a planner)
40+ on a regular basis is scary, but I'm sure we'll adjust.
I've got rellies asking what the best time of year will be to visit - how the hell they think I'll know that I have no idea. I think I'll have to tell them all to wait a year so I can give them an honest appraisal