Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to move to Sydney, should we?

Wikiposts

Opportunity to move to Sydney, should we?

Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:52 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opportunity to move to Sydney, should we?

Which Uni? Sydney is great, pricey and geographically varied. UNSW and Sydney are in good areas, Macquarie is OK and UWS is out west.

The higher education bit of the Australian maybe of help
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/highereducation

Originally Posted by Tharn
Hello all;

My partner and I have the opportunity to both move to Sydney to take up academic posts there. We have an 18 month old child and both in our mid - thirties.

Question is, should we up-sticks from London and move south?

We do not own a property, only things holding us back might be our family (our parents are getting on), finances (we have some debt, and new positions might not pay the riches we need).

London is a grind and has worn us both down over the last 5 years, and so prospect of warm weather all year round, beaches and out doors life very appealing.

How does sydney compare to London, I have lived in San Francisco before and familiar with the friendly / out going nature of people in that part of the US, would Sydney-ians be similar?

Any way, just pontificating right now in a meandering way, opinions and thoughts welcome/needed in order to help us decide.

cheers

T
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by thorn
So...is it feasible to live an hour out of Sydney by train, paying around £1200 per month (pref less) in rent for a decent place?

Thanks again, for all your responses so far, they're been incredibly helpful and honest
I used to live in Western Sydney, St Clair/Erskine Park area, and the train trip was 1 hour to Central and I worked there for a few years.
This is an example of a 3 bed house in that location St Clair Rental $320pw

Based on that, I am sure you will find something suitable for $550 pw (£1200 per month), somewhat closer to the City and the beaches.

If I was moving back there, I would look around the Rose Bay area. It was an area that I looked at once, but it was way out of my price range.

Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:11 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

My limited take is this. I've hung out in london for a fair bit of time over the years. And I've lived in sydney for a while one year. You couldn't pay me to live in that melting pot of hatred called sydney. It was many years ago and most I've talked to said it's only gotten worse.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:40 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Your budget won't get you much space close to the city but if you are working close to Central you will have lots of choice further out.

Have a look at www.cityhobo.com.au for the lowdown on Sydney suburbs. Yes, a tad in cheek, but also some truth in there and also some good info.

Also see if you can get hold of the SMH Good Suburb Guide and take a good look on www.domain.com.au.

Sydney's not a cheap place to live but if you're used to London, you will probably find it comparable. Just be aware that we do have a winter!

"Melting pot of hatred"? Depends who you mix with, I guess. We work and play with Brits, Aussies, Americans, Canadians, French, Austrians, Germans, Thais, Chinese, Singaporeans, Indonesians, Kenyans - we even tolerate Kiwis.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:47 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose it depends on where you get a job doesn't it - if you don't mind working out near say Windsor or somewhere around an hour away from Sydney CBD then you may get less pay but more house for your money, possibly a pool and nice garden with some great views.

If you're going to say you want to work in SYDNEY itself then your looking at huge expense in renting etc.

Also even if you're both? going to be earning a good wage you might want to live further out where houses can be bigger and cheaper to rent and buy and afford to have some lovely exploring holidays round Australia with your little one and put money to one side for a house of your own or private schooling - whatever ?

Good luck in what you do
Old Aug 29th 2009, 5:53 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I am Tharn's partner and have been reading through the replies. You all have been really helpful with your responses, so thanks for that. Personally, I think London is a very grinding city. We pay a huge amount of money for very little space (£1200 per month in GBP), that gives us 2 bedrooms, a patio and we're quite a way out of London. We have a lot of outgoings each month: council tax + all the usual bills... We both travel to our jobs, Tharn travels 2 hours each way some days of the week, I drive 45 mins to work for 8 mile journey. By the time we both get home each night, we are so truly knackered we can hardly muster the strength to pour a glass of wine.
We can't get in and out to Central London with a child on the train, as there are very few elevators (for buggies) so we are used to real hassle.

It's time for a change, and the Sydney opportunity sounds very enticing. But I am also aware that will be huge pitfalls, as with any month abroad.
OUr jobs in Sydney would be located on Broadway, very close to Central Station (it seems, according to Google maps), so we are keen to find suburbs that are well connected to the trainline that gets into the Central station. We are also looking for a bigger home with a better quality of life, and since we are used to commuting to work at the mo, we are willing to spend an hour getting into our jobs each day. So...is it feasible to live an hour out of Sydney by train, paying around £1200 per month (pref less) in rent for a decent place?

Thanks again, for all your responses so far, they're been incredibly helpful and honest
I feel your pain and I'm living now, go for it, how can it be any worse?? And if it is just come back, alright it might end up costing you a few grand if it all goes tit's up but you could get screwed by a pension scheme knocked over by a bus etc etc.

I can't wait to get over now and give it a go, it's been a while since I was there but unless it has nose dived then it's got to worth a try!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:02 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

It's a big decision to move to another city in another country with which you may be unfamiliar. From the original post, it does sound like you have had enough and want a change. I've never lived in Sydney so I can't say if it is great or not but from what I do know having lived in a few other cities in Australia, it's likely to be a more laid back lifestyle than London. More wide open spaces and proximity to beaches is a bonus, and would suit a young family. I'm not going to lie and say the weather is great all year round, it's not, but goodness knows it's better than the UK. You and you alone know your circumstances and the decision is by no means an easy one, but if you can do it, why not. Worst case, you go back to the UK after a year or two, and maybe with a bit of a tan.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:20 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mecheng
It's a big decision to move to another city in another country with which you may be unfamiliar. From the original post, it does sound like you have had enough and want a change. I've never lived in Sydney so I can't say if it is great or not but from what I do know having lived in a few other cities in Australia, it's likely to be a more laid back lifestyle than London. More wide open spaces and proximity to beaches is a bonus, and would suit a young family. I'm not going to lie and say the weather is great all year round, it's not, but goodness knows it's better than the UK. You and you alone know your circumstances and the decision is by no means an easy one, but if you can do it, why not. Worst case, you go back to the UK after a year or two, and maybe with a bit of a tan.
All I wanted to say and very well put!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
As far as friendliness goes - I reckon you've got it made if you have a child. Best possible way to meet people - at playgroup, pre-school, kindergarten, schools, sports groups etc. Wouldn't say that it's like Ramsey St but most people are friendly enough - especially if they know you're new to the country.
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Sydney is similar to London in the respect that youre going to pay more to live where the action is. I find it hard to believe that anyone would live a cheaper lifestyle in Australia after all the sums are done.

There are lots of people like yourselves in Sydney that are looking for the same lifestyle, so there is a community. You can also have a great life in cities, working and travelling without all the cost if youre willing to live by the same wits that you did in London..... if you did.
Hi all,
We have a lot of outgoings each month: council tax + all the usual bills... We both travel to our jobs, Tharn travels 2 hours each way some days of the week, I drive 45 mins to work for 8 mile journey. By the time we both get home each night, we are so truly knackered we can hardly muster the strength to pour a glass of wine.
We can't get in and out to Central London with a child on the train, as there are very few elevators (for buggies) so we are used to real hassle.
Sydney is expensive and you may have to live on your wits. DO NOT approximate the cost on the FX rate - you need to work out the cost of living AS A PROPORTION OF YOUR TAKE-HOME SALARY. Sorry to shout! My view is that even if things are not cheaper, doors will open that may not have in the UK.

The thing is, take away the huge West and there is no reason you need to live there, (I have no idea where your work is) and it's not a huge city by London standards. I based myself there for a year and I felt it seemed a lot slower by London's standards. Even if you do it cheap and rent a few burbs back from the beach you are still closer to the city than in London or across the harbour on a train. Depending on where the job is there is no need as such to travel 2 hrs each way and you may be pleasantly surprised. As renters, you may find life quite manageable if you haven't a huge mortgage. There will be people struggling with huge mortgages and you won't.

Australia is very community-minded and you'll find there is a lot of structure in place for pre-schooler and schoolers - it can almost be overwelming but a safety net. We have no comparison with the UK, but we know there is a fair bit of effort in this regard and it must compare very favourably.

As for how friendly people are, that's down to you really and the myriad of factors that different people report.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:27 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

.OUr jobs in Sydney would be located on Broadway, very close to Central Station (it seems, according to Google maps), so we are keen to find suburbs that are well connected to the trainline that gets into the Central station.
Just quoting this as it seems to have been overlooked by a few.

It's smack bang in the city centre, with good transport links.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Tharn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone, thanks for all the links, support and views. Seems the general consensus is 'just do it', think we are erring in that direction.

Interested to know why Sydney has been described as a 'melting pot of hatred' by one person, I recognise it is quite 'remote' from the rest of the world but still believed it to be quite a multicultural city. Are outsiders not welcome?

We will be studying/teaching at UTS, which I believe is quite central. Our supervisor who is also an ex-pat lives on the north shore (I think he said), near a beach and takes an hour by train to get into the city. Does this sound about right?

Thanks for the links seasider. So, when Sydney has a winter, just exactly how cold does it get? Thick coat or warm jumper?

thanks again everyone

T+T
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:32 am
Auntie Fa

I'm not sure which trainlines go near the beach but yes, an hour's commute sounds about right depending on the beach. Added bonus being, if you are on the early part of the trainline you should get a seat - I'm only ten minutes from Town Hall and invariably stand.

Google maps is invaluable, and you should also look up the cityrail map. www.131500.com.au is good for planning a journey and checking travel times.

I work very close to UTS (although office will be relocating in Autumn ) and I love it. I'm right on the edge of Chinatown - loads of good food!

It's a very multi-cultural city. I'm a white Brit, moved here from Asia, and some days I think I am back there. Having my medical done the other day for the PR app was one of them. Loved the sign saying, "Please do not spit in the rubbish bin".

Thick coat AND warm jumper. And vest/singlet, and jeans, and boots, and scarf, and gloves...for a few weeks, anyway. (And that's only INSIDE my office.)
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:36 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Thick coat AND warm jumper. And vest/singlet, and jeans, and boots, and scarf, and gloves...for a few weeks, anyway. (And that's only INSIDE my office.)

Ah for sure you have been here too long already seasider. Or do you mean that some days you can just wear your vest and nothing else?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:45 am
Auntie Fa

I wouldn't inflict that on the world, ponyrama.

(I moved here last year after 6 years in sweaty Singapore - still acclimatising.)
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:00 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I wouldn't inflict that on the world, ponyrama.

(I moved here last year after 6 years in sweaty Singapore - still acclimatising.)
Well that explains it then! Sydney would be cold in winter for you.

For me.......nothing more than a cool breeze and the odd shower. All a bit of a non event really....and I'm in Orange - where they told me it was freezing. When I get to the coast - I'm back in thongs and t-shirt! And the occasional wooly jumper.

Give me a year or so - then I'll be saying its freezing too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.