Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:20 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

We need a window where both sides of the world can post together. The forum must shutdown after that.

Is Gerry online yet?
Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Can you please therefore advertise your forum trading hours? I'm sick of rocking up on this forum and having to wait to press that submit reply button until I can see you are online. If you were a store trader, I'd put you down as Gerry Harvey
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... Back to the matter in hand....

Having a member of parliament be the family spokesperson..... Is this usual?

Were they friends? Are they card carrying members? Or is this a political opportunity?

I wouldn't want Julia Gillard jumping on my bandwagon if anything happened to me....
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Not like me to reference the DM but...

Tragic suicide note to DJs written by nurse after royal hoax call: I hold you responsible

The nurse who committed suicide after the royal hoax phone call left a note telling the two DJs behind the prank they were responsible for her death, according to sources close to the family.

In one of three apparent suicide notes, Jacintha Saldanha wrote a short letter in which she expressed her deep anger at the Australian radio presenters and blamed them for her tragic death.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not like me to reference the DM but...

Tragic suicide note to DJs written by nurse after royal hoax call: I hold you responsible

The nurse who committed suicide after the royal hoax phone call left a note telling the two DJs behind the prank they were responsible for her death, according to sources close to the family.

In one of three apparent suicide notes, Jacintha Saldanha wrote a short letter in which she expressed her deep anger at the Australian radio presenters and blamed them for her tragic death.
I'm beginning to feel some more compassion for the DJs....I had some already, but it's deepening What they did was "wrong" in so many ways... But no one deserves this do they?

There will be no winners in this ....
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I'm beginning to feel some more compassion for the DJs....I had some already, but it's deepening What they did was "wrong" in so many ways... But no one deserves this do they?
No they don't. And regardless of what these notes may or may not say there is obviously more to it than the DJs and a couple of colleagues.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
No they don't. And regardless of what these notes may or may not say there is obviously more to it than the DJs and a couple of colleagues.
Accepted.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:44 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's called continuing the discussion. Do you seriously think everyone should check to see if someone is still online before replying to a post? That's completely bizarre. Disclaimer: I haven't looked to see if you're online or not so if you take offence, my apologies.
Continuing the discussion is continuing the discussion. Making personal comments about posters is not part of any discussion. This seems obvious to me. We obviously disagree on this, but disagreement rarely moves me to anger, and never moves me to turn on the person with which I have the disagreement and be personally offensive to them. I'm not driven to be personal about you because we disagree on what constitutes proper discussion. Others weren't raised to exercise that sort of restraint and I understand that, even though I am frustrated by it. I used the ignore function so I wasn't provoked into being rude, and I would add that from some of the personal comments I have had recently I can see others feel the way I do.

Last edited by Zen10; Dec 17th 2012 at 2:47 am.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Zen10
Continuing the discussion is continuing the discussion. Making personal comments about posters is not part of any discussion. This seems obvious to me. We obviously disagree on this, but disagreement rarely moves me to anger, and never moves me to turn on the person with which I have the disagreement and be personally offensive to them. I'm not driven to be personal about you because we disagree on what constitutes proper discussion. Others weren't raised to exercise that sort of restraint.....
I refer the honourable gentleman to the footnotes of post 37. Must've been dragged up as well!
Old Dec 17th 2012, 7:37 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I think I need to start up a 'My Update Part Deux' thread
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I think I need to start up a 'My Update Part Deux' thread
Part One would be a trivial matter by comparison.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 7:25 pm

Why not wait till everyone is online?

Originally Posted by Zen10
Continuing the discussion is continuing the discussion. Making personal comments about posters is not part of any discussion. This seems obvious to me. We obviously disagree on this, but disagreement rarely moves me to anger, and never moves me to turn on the person with which I have the disagreement and be personally offensive to them. I'm not driven to be personal about you because we disagree on what constitutes proper discussion. Others weren't raised to exercise that sort of restraint and I understand that, even though I am frustrated by it. I used the ignore function so I wasn't provoked into being rude, and I would add that from some of the personal comments I have had recently I can see others feel the way I do.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the poor lady was suffering from severe depression and tried to commit suicide in India twice before the last incident that finally took her life.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/hoax-...223-2btl9.html

On the same day, India's Deccan Herald newspaper reported that Ms Saldanha had been hospitalised after twice trying to commit suicide within the space of nine days, during a family holiday in India last December and January.
The first time she was taken to a private hospital in Mangalore after an overdose of pills. The second time she was taken to Father Muller Medical College Hospital in the same city with head injuries after apparently jumping from a building.
Deccan Herald said Ms Saldanha was diagnosed as suffering a ''depressive disorder''. She received psychiatric treatment in hospital and was prescribed anti-depressants.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieG
Apparently the poor lady was suffering from severe depression and tried to commit suicide in India twice before the last incident that finally took her life.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/hoax-...223-2btl9.html
So very very sad....

I REALLY feel for the DJs... Ok the "prank" was wrong... the stress it caused the nurses involved and the commercial impact on the private hospital were totally predictable.... But these two people have to live with themselves and what happened..... They deserve some compassion....
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 11:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
So very very sad....

I REALLY feel for the DJs... Ok the "prank" was wrong... the stress it caused the nurses involved and the commercial impact on the private hospital were totally predictable.... But these two people have to live with themselves and what happened..... They deserve some compassion....
I agree. They were only doing their jobs and now they've been completely villified in the press without the opportunity to tell their side of the story. They were effectively gagged by the radio station's lawyers and told not to make any statement. How could they defend themselves when they're told by their employers to keep mum?

I know people who work in radio (not in Australia, mind) and they have said they hate doing these kinds of things - the pranks, the silly contests, etc, but it's part of their job. They're told by the producers and management that they are obliged to do it. If they don't or won't then there are dozens, if not hundreds of other wannabe DJs out there who will be only too happy to take their jobs and do the stupid prank.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:08 am

The DJs and Austereo deserve what they got in their search for ratings without any prior concern for the lives they screw up in the way.

There is a line between poor taste, cruelty and illegality. IMO Austereo have repeatedly crossed that line.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...220-2boer.html

a promotion called "Heartless Hotline" in which a parent of a disabled child was forced to argue with another caller to get Easter Show tickets; a promotion in which the parents of a disabled child claimed they did not receive the full amount pledged to them on air; Kyle Sandilands making fun of a disabled baby; Sandilands suggesting Magda Szubanski be "put in a concentration camp" to lose weight; Sandilands calling a female journalist a "fat slag" and threatening to "hunt her down"; a competition in which women were lined up behind two panels - exposing only their vaginas - and requiring a man to identify his girlfriend by her genitals; a competition to find Sydney's smallest penis; a competition in which a prize was hidden in the body rolls of an obese woman who was branded a "pig", with footage streamed online; a stunt in which employees competed to see who could masturbate the fastest and produce the highest sperm count; and an intended stunt in which female listeners would compete to impregnate themselves with the sperm of a local celebrity. What do these incidents say about the culture of Austereo?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz2Fvn8jFzR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.