Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:02 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

Originally Posted by rasen78
As Eddie previously stated, I would imagine it was the possibility of losing her profession and vocation that weighed heaviest on her mind.
I quite agree with this, but the CEO of the hospital claims he did not discipline her at all. If this is true, we can dismiss fear of losing her job, but if they are lying and they did discipline her then I think this would definitely be a factor.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Prank calls were done in the UK. Chris Tarrant, Chris Evans? They were fairly juvenile. In fact I sometimes feel that Australian media copied that from the UK - because that's where I first heard all this stuff.
I first heard these calls in Australia well over twenty years ago. Who came up with the idea first? I don't know.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I quite agree with this, but the CEO of the hospital claims he did not discipline her at all. If this is true, we can dismiss fear of losing her job, but if they are lying and they did discipline her then I think this would definitely be a factor.
As has been mentioned, it's not the hospital as such, it's the professional body. They can be right *******s.

Sorry, but I put the blame on the radio station and trying to get medical records from a hospital as a 'prank'.

It looks the like radio station is misplaying it by claiming they did nothing illegal. That's only going to make things worse - they needed to sack the DJs. Now, with their attitude they are going to catch the flak as well. Bad mistake.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

She would not be on the royal ward if she was unstable
By all accounts she was on the hospital reception and not on the ward.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:08 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

I would hope this was indeed true, but in the mind of someone who may be suffering from some kind of mental health issue, regardless of how much reassurance they have had, the situation would still be praying on their mind. Fears become irrational and small worries are blown completely out of proportion. Regardless of what she had been told, I would imagine she was still terrified that her career was tainted. This prank only occurred on Monday. Still very early days IF any disciplinary action were to be taken, but long enough for worries to fester and grow.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I don't like on forums are people who criticise other posters when they're not online. You don't know me, and yet you have written this rude post about me, totally unprovoked. It's bad form and bad forum etiquette. I have never been impolite to you - not once.

So, as I left the playground behind many years ago, and having identified a couple of classic playground bullies right here on this thread, you too are on the internet version of the naughty step - ignore.
I'm shattered. I'll be sure to cc you in on the suicide note.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

IIf it hadn't been reported, she wouldn't have killed herself. It's that simple.

No way do you or anyone else know whether thats true. The only person who knows is the poor nurse, may she rest in peace.

An action at work can prey on your mind, can be blown out of all proportion, and can have tragic results - even if no-one is taking action against you over it, even if you did the right thing, and even if you haven't breached one of the main rules in the book - confidentiality.

Stop and think how many of us involved in an event such as the response to the Queensland floods either very seriously considered, or tried, to take their own lives as a result of decisions made while doing our jobs.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
As has been mentioned, it's not the hospital as such, it's the professional body. They can be right *******s.

Sorry, but I put the blame on the radio station and trying to get medical records from a hospital as a 'prank'.

It looks the like radio station is misplaying it by claiming they did nothing illegal. That's only going to make things worse - they needed to sack the DJs. Now, with their attitude they are going to catch the flak as well. Bad mistake.
Lost most of their advertisers, Coles and Telstra have pulled out. The radio station has stopped ALL adverts at the moment, and the two DJs are off air and being offered 'counselling'.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No way do you or anyone else know whether thats true. The only person who knows is the poor nurse, may she rest in peace.

An action at work can prey on your mind, can be blown out of all proportion, and can have tragic results - even if no-one is taking action against you over it, even if you did the right thing, and even if you haven't breached one of the main rules in the book - confidentiality.

Stop and think how many of us involved in an event such as the response to the Queensland floods either very seriously considered, or tried, to take their own lives as a result of decisions made while doing our jobs.
Careful disagreeing there Polly. You could end up on ignore.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:28 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read much other than on Sky and BBC News, but I haven't seen that she was named prior to the news of her death. Perhaps I'm wrong and she was named in the tabloids et al, but I have seen no evidence of this.

My point is that while one can seem outwardly calm, stable and happy etc, we do not know what goes on behind closed doors, or inside someone's mind. To lay ALL the blame at the door of the press is wrong. It may have been a contributing factor, but I very much doubt if it is the sole reason for her suicide, as your posts have been implying. As Eddie previously stated, I would imagine it was the possibility of losing her profession and vocation that weighed heaviest on her mind.
I would hope this was indeed true, but in the mind of someone who may be suffering from some kind of mental health issue, regardless of how much reassurance they have had, the situation would still be praying on their mind. Fears become irrational and small worries are blown completely out of proportion. Regardless of what she had been told, I would imagine she was still terrified that her career was tainted. This prank only occurred on Monday. Still very early days IF any disciplinary action were to be taken, but long enough for worries to fester and grow.
How true.
Even a decision on disciplinary action can take months, meanwhile the person has to go over the incident again and again. Apart from being dragged through the media circus, she would have gone over and over what she should have done, where she went wrong, what was likely to happen to her.

I just felt sick when I saw the news break on twitter, felt so sorry for her and her family and friends.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Absolute bulls**t. It was all over every newspaper in the UK, you're delusional to think that your definition of "Monarchist publications" were the only ones to focus on it.
This example shows the juvenile standards used in Australian media to attract an audience, and if this is what is wanted and needed, shows the juvenile mentality of Australians.
Prank calls are standard fare on UK radio Scotch.

It takes the JAWP to make this into a UK v Australia thing.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:33 am
Home and Happy

On another angle I was at work when I read the first reports last night, and I read the initial BBC breaking news out to the guy on shift with me.

His response was that he couldn't see what she had done wrong anyway. He seemed to think that anyone had the right to be told the Duchess's condition and medical details, and they should have been given out freely to anyone phoning up. He said it shouldn't be down to nursing staff to decide who should be told how a patient is (royal or not) and he couldn't see what was wrong with any man in the street ringing up and asking for any random person's condition Nor could he see that the nurses involved had done anything wrong.

Personally I think that's the biggest load of tosh ever, someone' medical details are their personal information and should not be given out to just anyone, but maybe I'm getting old fashioned? What do the rest of you think? Should you be able to get details of anyone's condition just by ringing a hospital/medical facility?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

On another angle I was at work when I read the first reports last night, and I read the initial BBC breaking news out to the guy on shift with me.

His response was that he couldn't see what she had done wrong anyway. He seemed to think that anyone had the right to be told the Duchess's condition and medical details, and they should have been given out freely to anyone phoning up. He said it shouldn't be down to nursing staff to decide who should be told how a patient is (royal or not) and he couldn't see what was wrong with any man in the street ringing up and asking for any random person's condition Nor could he see that the nurses involved had done anything wrong.

Personally I think that's the biggest load of tosh ever, someone' medical details are their personal information and should not be given out to just anyone, but maybe I'm getting old fashioned? What do the rest of you think? Should you be able to get details of anyone's condition just by ringing a hospital/medical facility?
Breeches of confidentiality leads to a loss of trust and the destruction of the therapeutic relationship.... Legal/ethical aspects of nursing 101
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by eddie007
Breeches of confidentiality leads to a loss of trust and the destruction of the therapeutic relationship.... Legal/ethical aspects of nursing 101
That's part of what I tried to discuss with him. Surely a patient needs to be able to trust their medical carers, and I know if I thought anyone caring for me was free to discuss my personal details with anyone who phoned up I would be less likely to be open with those staff - possibly with fatal consequences.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:10 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

But do you think if it was a private matter between just the radio station and the hospital, and the hospital board said "chill out it's fine" and the royal family said "chill out it's fine" - that this would have ended in suicide? And so I don't leave it to "ambiguity" I was genuinely shocked and saddened when I read about this because from her reaction to the prank on the radio she sounded very polite and even rather touched that the "queen" had called her. For me that was tragic. And she wasn't even the one who gave the information out, either. Just so odd.

Notwithstanding the coincidence that perhaps she gad been suicidal for some time and this just pushed her too far?

Last edited by Zen10; Dec 8th 2012 at 7:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.