Yes
90.00%
No
10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

One of my best mates died yesterday

Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of my best mates died yesterday

Nope, wouldnt go for a friend and have even missed some funerals of relatives over the years. However a sick mum is a whole other issue and I would be off like a shot.

Jad n Rich, my sympathies for your loss but, as you said, it is better to know than to live in limbo. So sorry.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:19 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have voted yes simply for your mum

your mate is different he's gone he's not there, his wife and daughter are how close were you? will you be of any support to her?

if you can support her then go

but go anyway just to see your mum anyway take every chance you can or you will kick yourself later.

so sorry it must have been shocking for you and his poor daughter my heart goes out to her
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:21 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Renth - I'm another one saying yes go for your Mum.
I don't think you would ever regret spending the money on that.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:17 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Just nipped on to convey my sincerest condolences...

Not sure if I can say yes or no... depends on too many factors...

I do have some experiences which I can share.. not sure if they will help or hinder!... OH's Father died last June and he did not go to the funeral (Father was terminally ill and we had spent 2 months living and looking after him before coming out here).. His Father had told us that he did not want us coming back.. he wanted us to carry on living the dream as he put it.. with hindsight OH should have gone back.. not because of supporting his family etc etc.. but because he needed to be around other people and grieve with them... saying that his Mum was quite determined that he should carry out his fathers last wishes (for him NOT to come back)...

ANyway, that is our experience ...

Em x
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Going back for the funeral? No, I probably wouldn't. Going back to see my seriously ill mother and attending the funeral whilst in the UK? Very probably, yes.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:15 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Go Renth - for your mum and say your farewells to your friend...worry about the money afterwards.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read the rest of the thread just your first post so sorry if I'm repeating.
If it were just your mate I'd say send flowers/donation/condolences. He's dead & no amount of grieving will change that. Your mate would understand the expense involved.
Your mum however is different, she's alive, though seriously ill. Go to her & make peace & say your goodbyes etc.etc.
The British military used to have a system where if someone was seriously ill they would pull out all the stops to return you in time. If they were already dead that didn't happen.
From my own experience, my Dad flew back from the U.S when my Nan was seriously ill, he stayed for a couple of weeks & she perked up a bit. They said goodbye & she made him promise not to "spend time & money coming home again to put her corpse in a hole in the ground"
He returned state side & she died the next week, I sent a wreathe in his name & everyone that mattered understood about the promise.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:14 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Renth, you do not know me, i do not know of you, but may i offer you my condolences, sorry mate for your loss, sometimes a mate is like losing part of your big family.

I would go, when i lose a mate, it makes me realise how old i am, and i am getting older, so how precious every day is, every next day, so yes go my old son, and see you mum, spend time with your mum, if you ain't got it, borrow it, at the end of the day, none of us know how long we have left?

Good luck and a safe journey! Keith.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:39 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to say thanks to all who have given me their best wishes. I'm still gutted about my mate. Still can't believe he's gone. I've never lost a close mate before.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'd just like to say thanks to all who have given me their best wishes. I'm still gutted about my mate. Still can't believe he's gone. I've never lost a close mate before.
Sorry for your loss R.

Have you decided to go? I think you should.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sorry for your loss R.

Have you decided to go? I think you should.
I need to do some delicate negotiation on the home front.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Renth.

Sorry for your loss.

When we went to Oz for a month in 2006 one of our really close friends had a car accident and died 4 days after we had flown out. We didn't find out he had gone until half way through our hols, and that was cause someone spilt the beans, they were going to keep it quiet and tell us when we got back.

By the time we got home 3 weeks later, the funeral had happened and everyone was moving on. We had missed it.
It was the 2yr anniversary of his death last month and i still find it really hard to believe he's gone. We didn't attend the funeral, or grieve with any friends or family, and i think because of that, because there was no goodbyes, he's not really gone. I even still have his number on my mobile!!

So figure out a way to finance the trip and say goodbye to him. Plus you have the bonus of going to see your mum.

Don't know if this has helped any, it's a tough decision for you.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by memewest
Renth.

Sorry for your loss.

When we went to Oz for a month in 2006 one of our really close friends had a car accident and died 4 days after we had flown out. We didn't find out he had gone until half way through our hols, and that was cause someone spilt the beans, they were going to keep it quiet and tell us when we got back.

By the time we got home 3 weeks later, the funeral had happened and everyone was moving on. We had missed it.
It was the 2yr anniversary of his death last month and i still find it really hard to believe he's gone. We didn't attend the funeral, or grieve with any friends or family, and i think because of that, because there was no goodbyes, he's not really gone. I even still have his number on my mobile!!

So figure out a way to finance the trip and say goodbye to him. Plus you have the bonus of going to see your mum.

Don't know if this has helped any, it's a tough decision for you.
that sounds familiar. My granny passed away a couple of years ago. Folks took their time telling me. First I had heard about it was when my Mum got back from the funeral! 'but we didn't want to disturb your university studies'. It wasn't a shock in a way - she was old and had been ill for a while so it was expected sooner or later.

They like only telling me things after they had happened. One task I have next year is to go back and sort all my stuff at my parents - they announced a while back that they would be moving to the west country - but - luckily with the housing market it's slowed them down

Still, I'm half expecting when I go home next time the locks will have changed and different people will be living there.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
If it was only you're friend I'd probably be undecided.

But... since your mom is really sick as well then I think it's a good chance to see her as well.
Ditto.

Also my sympathies to you, your mate's wife and family.

My husband's best mate (and best man) died a couple of months ago. suicide. He didn't go back for the funeral.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:58 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
He died in bed, his 7 year old daughter discovered his body. His wife was away on business.

He was 47 years old.

I'm trying to decide whether I should go to the funeral, obviously I'd go if I lived in the UK, Europe or probably even the USA but from Aus I'm looking at spending over $2,500 all in.

I would get another chance to see my seriously ill mother though, so that would be a bonus...

What do you guys think?
How awful sorry to hear about that.

If you have the money go my hubby couldnt go back to his best mates funeral in January and it still upsets him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.