British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   One in 8 married men are closet homosexuals? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/one-8-married-men-closet-homosexuals-735032/)

brissybee Oct 8th 2011 5:06 pm

One in 8 married men are closet homosexuals?

I read an article a while back, supposedly well researched, which suggested one in eight married men are secretly gay (or at least bi-sexual).

I thought this was quite an amazingly high figure, though looking around, I do often see married men who might pop up on a gaydar.

I am one who, many years ago, was blind in love to what in hindsight was kind of suspicious.

But what do other BE's think?

Could 8 per cent of us really be married to men who bat for both sides?

How would a wife ever really know? :unsure:

sonlymewalter Oct 8th 2011 5:18 pm

Re: One in 8 married men are closet homosexuals?

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 9664807)
I read an article a while back, supposedly well researched, which suggested one in eight married men are secretly gay (or at least bi-sexual).

I thought this was quite an amazingly high figure, though looking around, I do often see married men who might pop up on a gaydar.

I am one who, many years ago, was blind in love to what in hindsight was kind of suspicious.

But what do other BE's think?

Could 8 per cent of us really be married to men who bat for both sides?

How would a wife ever really know? :unsure:

One in 8 is 12.5%

iamthecreaturefromuranus Oct 8th 2011 8:24 pm

Not enough room in my closet.

Perthbum Oct 8th 2011 8:26 pm

Yep, I can understand this, I have been sexually attracted to men in my past but have never tried to do anything about it as the pull of a women is stronger.

carolinephillips Oct 8th 2011 9:03 pm

My OH has a feminine side to his brain, but is definitely all man.:thumbup:

Turban Explorer Oct 8th 2011 9:05 pm

I've had a couple of bisexual boyfriends in the past. I was pretty surprised when they told me of their encounters. I've always thought I'd quite like to be a gay bloke with a stylish lifestyle. May be I should have a sex change.

TiddlyPom Oct 8th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9665045)
I've had a couple of bisexual boyfriends in the past. I was pretty surprised when they told me of their encounters. I've always thought I'd quite like to be a gay bloke with a stylish lifestyle. May be I should have a sex change.

Totally right I would think. I'd also think that the other way... women being bi, might be higher.

An ex bfriend was bi, much to my astonishment when he told me.
He explained it as 'Any port in a storm'

Pollyana Oct 8th 2011 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom (Post 9665088)
Totally right I would think. I'd also think that the other way... women being bi, might be higher.

An ex bfriend was bi, much to my astonishment when he told me.
He explained it as 'Any port in a storm'

I've always had a lot of gay friends, male and female, and several of them have been married at some point in their lives. Some of the spouses knew, some didn't. I'd say its a very believable figure.

ukecadet Oct 8th 2011 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Perthbum (Post 9665002)
Yep, I can understand this, I have been sexually attracted to men in my past but have never tried to do anything about it as the pull of a women is stronger.

I think that you'd get a stronger pull off a man, as rule they have more strength in the wrist.

Broad Shoulders Oct 9th 2011 12:25 am

Here is a list of men I know of on this forum

KPorte
Soapy
Iamthecreaturefromuranus
Renth
Deadvim
Bix
Cresta

and finally Bernieboy, which means being the eighth one, he has to be the closet homosexual

Pollyana Oct 9th 2011 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 9665202)
Here is a list of men I know of on this forum

KPorte
Soapy
Iamthecreaturefromuranus
Renth
Deadvim
Bix
Cresta

and finally Bernieboy, which means being the eighth one, he has to be the closet homosexual

:rofl: Not an image I wanted, thanks :lol:

IvanM Oct 9th 2011 1:25 am

The Mrs says the state of my closet is a sign I am not gay. The numbers do not surprise me and the rate in my family is higher than that.

What is the estimated rate of women who are not purely hetero?

Burbage Oct 9th 2011 1:28 am

Well, I'm not married, so it's not me.

Broad Shoulders Oct 9th 2011 1:32 am

Originally Posted by IvanM (Post 9665237)
The Mrs says the state of my closet is a sign I am not gay.

But does she constantly catch you playing hide-and-seek in there, is the real question?

eddie007 Oct 9th 2011 2:57 am

Yup... TOTALLY Unsurprising...

One of the gay blokes I shared a house with as a student ...last reports ... Happily married with two kids... Which is probably why he doesnt stay in touch with any of the housemates...

Or maybe his homosexuality was political, he is ambiguous and during the late eighties it was uber trendy and he really wasnt....

Dont think the gay scene in the uk was ever as "extreme" as it was in other countries at the time... A lot of the gay men I know went through the Public school system, so kept it quiet for their future civil service /banking/political/ staying in the firm aspirations....

there was always a tradition in certain "classes" for being seen to do the right thing.. Suppression of self expression for the greater good... Not many lads come from family money where there was enough and strongly enough settled on them to be flambouyantly "out" with risking disinheritence.... The ones who could...They were the lucky ones... The rest did what they did on the side and maintained that air of respectability...

Lots of reasons why men who are gay work so hard at maintaining heterosexual relationships.... Even today....