Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Olympics: interesting or not?

View Poll Results: Interesting - or not?
I'll watch every minute that I can
31.91%
I will watch paint dry if given the choice
68.09%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Olympics: interesting or not?

Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Olympics: interesting or not?

Originally Posted by Wol
And your point is?
No point, just an outpouring . . .
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ekiec
Channel 7's coverage is a disgrace. I don't know how they got the rights- even better still if you make a complaint about their service and coverage on http://au.messages.yahoo.com/sports/olympics/ they were deleting them. So much for free speech...................
Sorry but how do you know that the comments that were removed were complaints about channel 7 You may be right although I read several comments on that thread complaining and they were there.

I love watching the cream of the worlds sportsmen and women doing their thing and love the olympics. If you don't want to watch, don't and then you won't get annoyed that you're not watching the BBC
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:21 am
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry but how do you know that the comments that were removed were complaints about channel 7 You may be right although I read several comments on that thread complaining and they were there.

:
What an odd thing to say... "Sorry but how do you know that the comments that were removed". Simple, like you have read this thread and replied to one or many posts on it, I too had read several complaint posts and replied with posts. Then they were "topic removed" and the thread was no more to be found. A new thread was started similar but more opinionated because of the censorship...... They too were removed.!!!
As you must agree with me, you cannot see what is not there.!!!!So you won't find those threads...
"I love watching the cream of the worlds sportsmen and women doing their thing and love the olympics."
You don't get the point , do you? I too like watching sports but not the commentators or one continous re-run. Anyway, this is not just about us. The compeditors were finding out via email and text that their performances were not being shown on the national Tv.. What sort of support is that? How would you feel if you thought you were playing your best for your country and your countries TV channel wasn't interested?
"If you don't want to watch, don't and then you won't get annoyed that you're not watching the BBC :rolleyes"
What has the BBC got to do with anything?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ekiec
What an odd thing to say... "Sorry but how do you know that the comments that were removed". Simple, like you have read this thread and replied to one or many posts on it, I too had read several complaint posts and replied with posts. Then they were "topic removed" and the thread was no more to be found. A new thread was started similar but more opinionated because of the censorship...... They too were removed.!!!
As you must agree with me, you cannot see what is not there.!!!!So you won't find those threads...
"I love watching the cream of the worlds sportsmen and women doing their thing and love the olympics."
You don't get the point , do you? I too like watching sports but not the commentators or one continous re-run. Anyway, this is not just about us. The compeditors were finding out via email and text that their performances were not being shown on the national Tv.. What sort of support is that? How would you feel if you thought you were playing your best for your country and your countries TV channel wasn't interested?
"If you don't want to watch, don't and then you won't get annoyed that you're not watching the BBC :rolleyes"
What has the BBC got to do with anything?
There was no need for the attitude I simply asked how you knew. You explained. Thank you.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:04 pm
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There was no need for the attitude I simply asked how you knew. You explained. Thank you.
None taken moneypen20.......

Sorry, no offense intended- no offense meant. I'm a bit grumpy when simple things (channel7-yahoo7) go wrong and that you have absolutely no control over..

Have a on me...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:35 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>What sort of support is that? How would you feel if you thought you were playing your best for your country and your countries TV channel wasn't interested?<<

I found the poll on this topic illuminating: I *had* assumed that - given the Australians' supposedly 110% interest in sport and nothing but sport - that I would be the only person who wasn't in the slightest bit interested in the olympics. Yet 70% of (admittedly not natives) feel the same way. That does surprise me.

I frankly don't feel that athletes "represent" anything but themselves. I am pleased for them if they win something but don't feel in the slightest bit involved, or pleased for "my country".

As for the grotesque amount of money that each host country feels obliged to pour into their fest when there are so many causes they all have..........

IIRC London's projected costs have risen from around £2Bn (TWO BILLION POUNDS!) to about £8BN - and no-one is guessing at the final cost in four years. I call it obscene!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:31 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I frankly don't feel that athletes "represent" anything but themselves. I am pleased for them if they win something but don't feel in the slightest bit involved, or pleased for "my country".!
I agree.

I just don't see why all the obsession about lazy barstewards who haven't got a real job

Originally Posted by Wol
As for the grotesque amount of money that each host country feels obliged to pour into their fest when there are so many causes they all have..........!
The whole world is topsy turvy. People all over the world starving and yet we spend money on this. Then giving honours to sportsmen/women who are doing something they enjoy, whilst in the main ignoring many more genuine heroes who do far better worthwhile thingsOne minute killing each other and the next playing games. Maybe it's an extension of the school playground

Maybe I just don't get it
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I found the poll on this topic illuminating: I *had* assumed that - given the Australians' supposedly 110% interest in sport and nothing but sport - that I would be the only person who wasn't in the slightest bit interested in the olympics. Yet 70% of (admittedly not natives) feel the same way. That does surprise me.
At last - someone who has also realised that some Australians are not the mad sports obsessed people that Brits make them out to be. There are people who like it, others don't. It's quite possible to be British and be the only sportsman in the department. It's possible to find an Australian shouting themselves hoarse.

Sometimes the negative comments on this forum seem to be from the Annual Biggest collection of Australian cliches ever found which is reprinted by British popular demand.

Originally Posted by Wol
I frankly don't feel that athletes "represent" anything but themselves. I am pleased for them if they win something but don't feel in the slightest bit involved, or pleased for "my country".
Sensible.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:31 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol

IIRC London's projected costs have risen from around £2Bn (TWO BILLION POUNDS!) to about £8BN - and no-one is guessing at the final cost in four years. I call it obscene!
It is obscene if no money is made from the Olympics: the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984 showed how host nations can make a substantial profit. If that does not happen in London then heads should roll.

Last edited by The Woodcutter; Aug 13th 2008 at 10:48 am.