Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Olympics: interesting or not?

View Poll Results: Interesting - or not?
I'll watch every minute that I can
31.91%
I will watch paint dry if given the choice
68.09%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Olympics: interesting or not?

Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Olympics: interesting or not?

Definatly a bore, unfortunatly everyone else in my house would disagree

Think my hubby may find beach volleyball unmissable! funny that cos he's never expressed an interest before

Lindsay x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:59 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Third poll option needed: "I'll probably watch some of the highlights".
I'm with Vash too...

Originally Posted by spartacus
Fourth option needed.

'I'll be watching every minute of the women's beach volleyball. Screw the rest'.
On the other hand...!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:58 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

If the rest of Seven's coverage is like their coverage of the opening ceremony, it will be a big bore. I could not believe the amount of adverts appearing at innappropriate moments.

You can expect an advert to appear just as the winning goal, shot, dive, etc is about to occur so you are guaranteed to miss it. As for anyone who's got a new big screen tv for the event, enjoy the ad's !
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
If the rest of Seven's coverage is like their coverage of the opening ceremony, it will be a big bore. I could not believe the amount of adverts appearing at innappropriate moments.

You can expect an advert to appear just as the winning goal, shot, dive, etc is about to occur so you are guaranteed to miss it. As for anyone who's got a new big screen tv for the event, enjoy the ad's !
So why not watch it on SBS?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:32 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hutch
So why not watch it on SBS?
The openeing ceremony was not on SBS and they are showing only "complementary" coverage.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I love the Olympics although I'm not a big sports fan. The reason I love it is because you get to watch sports that are rarely covered any other time of the year, and because of the competitive level the result is exciting. I love gymnastics which I used to coach, but I also love to watch diving and track and field events which you hardly ever see any other time. You can flag the game sports like netball, football and hockey.

But who has the time to sit riveted to it, and half the time the advertised schedule changes without warning and you find you've just sat down and missed the gymnastics and face half an hour of cycle racing.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
Definatly a bore, unfortunatly everyone else in my house would disagree

Think my hubby may find beach volleyball unmissable! funny that cos he's never expressed an interest before

Lindsay x
Kev's with your husband on the beach volleyball.

Nickie
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
Kev's with your husband on the beach volleyball.

Nickie
you've got to love them!

Lindsay x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:03 pm
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Originally Posted by harrip

Channel 7's coverage is a disgrace. I don't know how they got the rights- even better still if you make a complaint about their service and coverage on http://au.messages.yahoo.com/sports/olympics/ they were deleting them. So much for free speech...................
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:22 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ekiec
Channel 7's coverage is a disgrace. I don't know how they got the rights- even better still if you make a complaint about their service and coverage on http://au.messages.yahoo.com/sports/olympics/ they were deleting them. So much for free speech...................
Don't know whether you have a point or not, since I don't watch terrestrial TV, let alone anything sports related. However. Why do you use the expression 'free speech'? There's no constitutional right to free speech on the forums of a commercial TV station, any more than there are rights to free speech on this commercial run web forum.

I should also add that, even leaving aside commercial entities, Australians have no right to freedom of expression under the Australian Constitution and even things like Freedom of Assembly are merely implied rights, not written law. You only have to look at the draconian by-laws instigated during the recent Catholic love binge to realise that Australia's only marginally ahead of Burma in the old 'human rights' department.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know whether you have a point or not, since I don't watch terrestrial TV, let alone anything sports related. However. Why do you use the expression 'free speech'? There's no constitutional right to free speech on the forums of a commercial TV station, any more than there are rights to free speech on this commercial run web forum.

I should also add that, even leaving aside commercial entities, Australians have no right to freedom of expression under the Australian Constitution and even things like Freedom of Assembly are merely implied rights, not written law. You only have to look at the draconian by-laws instigated during the recent Catholic love binge to realise that Australia's only marginally ahead of Burma in the old 'human rights' department.
good one hutch, there's life in the old dog yet, despite being exiled in the cultural and spiritual vacuum that is Australia.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:08 pm
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Yes, well. What can I say to that..........
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:14 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

strange the medal table showed Australia in 7th position why didn't it show that there are 3 equal 7ths? one of them the UK!!

I'm off to do something more entertaining!! I'm watching wolf spiders beig milked for venom
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

For all you Olympic naysayers and nerdowells, put that in your pipe and smurk it.

Come On!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...ng/7553179.stm

Last edited by spartacus; Aug 11th 2008 at 5:56 am.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
For all you Olympic naysayers and nerdowells, put that in your pipe and smurk it.

Come On!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...ng/7553179.stm
And your point is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.