Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Oh no! Veggie prices could soar due to UK 'heatwave'

Oh no! Veggie prices could soar due to UK 'heatwave'

Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:04 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh no! Veggie prices could soar due to UK 'heatwave'

The heatwave across Europe has led to warnings of a shortage of vegetables in the shops, which in turn could push up prices. Current conditions combined with a cold and wet spring means production of some crops has fallen by up to 40%.

Oh and ...
Central London faces a second day of blackouts because of power supply problems, and calls to turn off air conditioning to reduce demand.

Have some cheese with your whine

Let's hope it doesn't lead to too big a rise in prices, because clearly, having the weather affect the cost of fruit and veg would open the UK to ridicule.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:54 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh no! Veggie prices could soar due to UK 'heatwave'

Originally Posted by Hutch
The heatwave across Europe has led to warnings of a shortage of vegetables in the shops, which in turn could push up prices. Current conditions combined with a cold and wet spring means production of some crops has fallen by up to 40%.

Oh and ...
Central London faces a second day of blackouts because of power supply problems, and calls to turn off air conditioning to reduce demand.

Let's hope it doesn't lead to too big a rise in prices, because clearly, having the weather affect the cost of fruit and veg would open the UK to ridicule.

Ah, but...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5216986.stm

"This summer's heatwave is set to give a record fruit crop..."
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:57 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Ah, but...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5216986.stm

"This summer's heatwave is set to give a record fruit crop..."
Ah but ... from the same article ...

The National Farmers' Union has warned that shortages of crops such as wheat, which has wilted in the heat, could result in higher prices for consumers.

Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bananas anyone?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 3:01 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah but ... from the same article ...

The National Farmers' Union has warned that shortages of crops such as wheat, which has wilted in the heat, could result in higher prices for consumers.

Quite agree - I was just thinking how daft it was that veggies should be suffering while fruit is abundant....

I could live with bumper crops of strawberries.....
Old Jul 28th 2006, 3:05 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bananas anyone?
Beat me to it, lol
Old Jul 28th 2006, 3:08 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Quite agree - I was just thinking how daft it was that veggies should be suffering while fruit is abundant....

I could live with bumper crops of strawberries.....
We talking British strawbs or jetted in from abroad ones?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

...Let's hope it doesn't lead to too big a rise in prices, because clearly, having the weather affect the cost of fruit and veg would open the UK to ridicule.
Ahh, the sound of a concerned cabbage....
Old Jul 28th 2006, 3:54 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

If we had a 'day' of hot weather it would have pushed the prices up it is just any excuse anytime!!
Can't imagine the price of potatoes later this year..... no rain and all that
Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:58 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and ...

Oh I hope Mr Stanton is not suffering too much in his office. I wonder if he is allowed to take his jacket off or is that against school rules?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 4:18 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and ...

Love the little animated 'Effect of heat on your body' thing there. Who could possibly know that you sweat when you're hot?

Last edited by iPom; Jul 29th 2006 at 6:12 am.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 4:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thebears
Oh I hope Mr Stanton is not suffering too much in his office. I wonder if he is allowed to take his jacket off or is that against school rules?

Isn't Mike British? If so, and he lives in the UK, why is he still haunting an expat board? Because he isn't an expat, is he?

I don't get it.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:00 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Isn't Mike British? If so, and he lives in the UK, why is he still haunting an expat board? Because he isn't an expat, is he?

I don't get it.
Hi IPom
Mrs Bear wants to know when your catalogue is coming out
Will help get your business started by placing a few orders with you
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom

I don't get it.
How true.

Have you seen his avatar?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi IPom
Mrs Bear wants to know when your catalogue is coming out
Will help get your business started by placing a few orders with you

Mr Bear, I am slogging my guts out on it. We hope to be up and running by the end of August/Mid september. I will let you know our website addy when we open for business. (Actually, I'm hoping Polly might allow me a free mention )

Mrs Bear might also be keen to know we're going to expand into good quality, well priced children's clothing, made in Australia, once we are established as well as other goodies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.