British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   offroading Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/offroading-brisbane-533823/)

jofun May 2nd 2008 11:39 am

offroading Brisbane

Hi All

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our 4x4 this month and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of good places to head to for a bit of offroading action....Even better if anyone is heading out towards the end of the month and wouldn't mind us tagging along would be great to hear from you..

Cheers

Jo

moneypenny20 May 2nd 2008 12:02 pm

Re: offroading Brisbane

Originally Posted by jofun (Post 6297636)
Hi All

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our 4x4 this month and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of good places to head to for a bit of offroading action....Even better if anyone is heading out towards the end of the month and wouldn't mind us tagging along would be great to hear from you..

Cheers

Jo

The Gateway's a good spot ;)

Centurion May 2nd 2008 12:09 pm

Hi All

Cheers

Jo

What 4WD have you got coming ? It may dictate where you can go. I'm keen to get my new pathfinder dirty before I head outback in July as its got a new setup suspension etc and I want to make sure its all ready for a long run.

Otherwise - go into ARB or any other 4WD shop and pick yourself up a copy of Dirty Weekends in SE Queensland. It has some absolutely top routes to take all over this neck of the woods from Fraser to Straddie, Morton and so on.

JackTheLad May 2nd 2008 12:32 pm

Hi All

Cheers

Jo

North Straddie Island is a good start. Lots of beach drives, and a few inland, not too challenging trails. And some beautiful stop off points.

And we did it in an X-trail, so its really not that challenging for a real 4x4, but it is worth it.

I've got a mate in work who did the Simpson desert last year in his Land rover discovery, and this year he is doing the gulf of Carpentaria. The thing is, he has a 2 year old and a 4 year old, and he takes them with him :eek:.

He takes the piss out of my Xtrail:o

JTL

jofun May 2nd 2008 1:00 pm

Hi all..

Thanks for the info...will check out further...We've got a landrover defender coming....can't wait hopefully get our hands on it in about 2-3 weeks had to be done....its a defender thing i guess..

Pollyana May 2nd 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6297731)
The Gateway's a good spot ;)

:rofl: There's a lovely tunnel construction site off Lutwyche Road too.....anyone that causes agro to that project gets my vote :D

jofun May 3rd 2008 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 6297765)
What 4WD have you got coming ? It may dictate where you can go. I'm keen to get my new pathfinder dirty before I head outback in July as its got a new setup suspension etc and I want to make sure its all ready for a long run.

Otherwise - go into ARB or any other 4WD shop and pick yourself up a copy of Dirty Weekends in SE Queensland. It has some absolutely top routes to take all over this neck of the woods from Fraser to Straddie, Morton and so on.

outback in July...sounds interesting...how long you going for?? We defo have plans to do a long trip at some stage...will need to get the vehicle all geared up first with whats required...most important the beer fridge!! lol...as we came over from dubai and had landys there we already have most of the stuff we require..roof tent, fridge etc etc.....there is always plenty more that can be added though isn't there!

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 3rd 2008 12:38 am

Originally Posted by jofun (Post 6298057)
Hi all..

Thanks for the info...will check out further...We've got a landrover defender coming....can't wait hopefully get our hands on it in about 2-3 weeks had to be done....its a defender thing i guess..

Good choice - top off roader!!!

If I had the money, would be my first choice! :thumbup:

Timber Floor Au May 3rd 2008 2:00 am

Perhaps take a hike up Landcruiser park. For your first off road jaunt.

Just google them.

Ste

jofun May 3rd 2008 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6301109)
Perhaps take a hike up Landcruiser park. For your first off road jaunt.

Just google them.

Ste

Cheers for that...looks like a good place to start.....

jofun May 3rd 2008 5:22 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6300894)
Good choice - top off roader!!!

If I had the money, would be my first choice! :thumbup:

I guess once you owned one its difficult to change to anything else....yeah slightly on the pricey side new and the resale values seem to hold as well even with high mileage...we intend on keeping it for life..in order to justify the price!!

Timber Floor Au May 3rd 2008 5:37 am

Originally Posted by jofun (Post 6301360)
I guess once you owned one its difficult to change to anything else....yeah slightly on the pricey side new and the resale values seem to hold as well even with high mileage...we intend on keeping it for life..in order to justify the price!!

Whats the damage on a New Defender then ?

Are these V8 petrol, or the 2.8/2.5 tdi's ?

Always liked them myself too... and slightly more upmarkey than the county.. and the first landy i had , which had the manual over ride inside for the wipers lol.

Ste

jofun May 3rd 2008 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6301376)
Whats the damage on a New Defender then ?

Are these V8 petrol, or the 2.8/2.5 tdi's ?

Always liked them myself too... and slightly more upmarkey than the county.. and the first landy i had , which had the manual over ride inside for the wipers lol.

Ste

Damage is..ohh dare i say..54 on road...its got the modified version of the ford transit engine, 2.4turbo deisel..!!!!!they don't make V8's anymore unfortunately! we Test drove one and it pulls well and has a new 6 gear speed box is quieter than they used to be! also new ac and heater which seem to work well!! I had a 2003-90(county) td5 previously as well and my husband had a 2001 110 double cab pickup( lara croft tomb raider limited edition LOL) so we know what they are like..managed to get a few good trips in the tomb raider in oman and the uae empty quater so well looking forward to getting offroad over here as you can imagine...
What did you decide on then?Something a bit more comfy??

Timber Floor Au May 3rd 2008 10:47 am

Originally Posted by jofun (Post 6301932)
Damage is..ohh dare i say..54 on road...its got the modified version of the ford transit engine, 2.4turbo deisel..!!!!!they don't make V8's anymore unfortunately! we Test drove one and it pulls well and has a new 6 gear speed box is quieter than they used to be! also new ac and heater which seem to work well!! I had a 2003-90(county) td5 previously as well and my husband had a 2001 110 double cab pickup( lara croft tomb raider limited edition LOL) so we know what they are like..managed to get a few good trips in the tomb raider in oman and the uae empty quater so well looking forward to getting offroad over here as you can imagine...
What did you decide on then?Something a bit more comfy??

We have

A 2006 Pathfinder
A 2005 Triton
and
A 1994 Shogun

:)

jofun May 3rd 2008 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6301994)
We have

A 2006 Pathfinder
A 2005 Triton
and
A 1994 Shogun

:)

are you sure you have enough 4x4's....ha ha coming from where we've been (come from)anyone would think you had 2 or 3 wives....must say i do like the new pathfinder....