Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

NSW Police demonstrate irony..

NSW Police demonstrate irony..

Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:02 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default NSW Police demonstrate irony..

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...12-953,00.html

Very sad (yet again) and yes, I know the full facts haven't emerged yet but still sad that it had to end like this. Enough said I think?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:14 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NSW Police demonstrate irony..

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...12-953,00.html

Very sad (yet again) and yes, I know the full facts haven't emerged yet but still sad that it had to end like this. Enough said I think?
So sad, the guy obviously needed help - not murdered. But then again, he did attempt to attack with a knife
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
So sad, the guy obviously needed help - not murdered. But then again, he did attempt to attack with a knife
Maybe it was exactly what he wanted. Definitely ironic though. I could never be a copper, way too stressful.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

How bizarre.....

Do they not have tasers in NSW?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:03 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
How bizarre.....

Do they not have tasers in NSW?
Yes, but tasers are ineffective at short range and in close confined spaces nearly impossible to deploy. As the article says, tasers are but one option open to the police to defend themselves.

No cop wants to shoot anyone, but really when faced with a knife wielding person with a disregard for their own life, how else could this end other than badly for everyone concerned.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The lack of training most police get in dealing with situations like this was raised in a show just recently. That training really needs to be funded as obviously "some" police sometimes get it very wrong.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I know I feel comfortable making my judgments based on what I read in the media.

Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
The lack of training most police get in dealing with situations like this was raised in a show just recently. That training really needs to be funded as obviously "some" police sometimes get it very wrong.
The police could always do with more training in theses things, no matter how well trained they may already be.
Did the cops get it wrong on this occassion??????? only time will tell.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
The police could always do with more training in theses things, no matter how well trained they may already be.
Did the cops get it wrong on this occassion??????? only time will tell.
Indeed. It highlighted a serious shortage of training in this area. Showed a supposedly innovative training program dealing with mental health patients but the numbers getting the training were low. Also went into detail about some of the deaths of people with a mental illness shot by police in questionable circumstances. Some very sad stories.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:27 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Indeed. It highlighted a serious shortage of training in this area. Showed a supposedly innovative training program dealing with mental health patients but the numbers getting the training were low. Also went into detail about some of the deaths of people with a mental illness shot by police in questionable circumstances. Some very sad stories.
I saw the show to which you refer, and it was some of the worst reporting I have seen, right up there with the Courier Mail in term of impartiality. They dragged grieving family members of the deceased out in front of the camera, and then asked them loaded and leading questions which were blatantly intended to make the police look as bad as possible.

Don’t get me wrong, the police don’t get it right all the time, and certainly mistakes were made, but if they had taken the time to actually investigate the other side of the story, the public might at least have seen the issues in question from a different perspective. There were a lot of issues raised by the programme which painted the police in the bad light, which if they had asked any operational police officer, they would have been able to give a perfectly reasonable suggestion as to why what was done was done, but of course the show had its agenda which was wanting to make the police look bad, so they never bothered looking at the police perspective on things.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Baz
I saw the show to which you refer, and it was some of the worst reporting I have seen, right up there with the Courier Mail in term of impartiality. They dragged grieving family members of the deceased out in front of the camera, and then asked them loaded and leading questions which were blatantly intended to make the police look as bad as possible.

Don’t get me wrong, the police don’t get it right all the time, and certainly mistakes were made, but if they had taken the time to actually investigate the other side of the story, the public might at least have seen the issues in question from a different perspective. There were a lot of issues raised by the programme which painted the police in the bad light, which if they had asked any operational police officer, they would have been able to give a perfectly reasonable suggestion as to why what was done was done, but of course the show had its agenda which was wanting to make the police look bad, so they never bothered looking at the police perspective on things.
I a lot of people watching these shows have their "agenda" attenna up as obviously you did. Being uninvolved I could look at it fairly impartially so was on the lookout for agenda from either side. I didn't find it as one sided as you did. I thought the issues about programs and funding were interesting and at least was talking solution not problem. I wonder whether an operational police officer is permitted to provide answers to shows like these BTW? Maybe you would know that?
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

I a lot of people watching these shows have their "agenda" attenna up as obviously you did. Being uninvolved I could look at it fairly impartially so was on the lookout for agenda from either side. I didn't find it as one sided as you did. I thought the issues about programs and funding were interesting and at least was talking solution not problem. I wonder whether an operational police officer is permitted to provide answers to shows like these BTW? Maybe you would know that?
Balanced reporting is absolutely crucial in these matters, as the issue shouldn't be about hanging officers out to dry, but rather learning from those
mistakes when they are made.
No police officer wants to shoot anyone, never mind someone with mental health issues, however, sadly these incidents will happen from time to time and unless you have been in a similar life threatening situation, you really don't know how you would react.
When I say "you" I dont mean you personally fish, just in general
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember the exact phrase, but isn't there a known term called something like 'blue suicide' where people intentionally commit suicide by provoking the police to shoot them?

Its usually an insurance thing, if they kill themselves the insurance won't pay out, but if they get shot by police they do.

Last edited by JackTheLad; Nov 22nd 2009 at 3:10 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:56 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I can't remember the exact phrase, but isn't there a known term called something like 'blue suicide' where people intentionally commit suicide by provoking the police to shoot them?

Its usually an insurance thing, if they kill themselves the insurance won't pay out, but if they get shot by police they do.
Suicide by cop. It's a scary part of the job, knowing that some people want that outcome, they [I]want[I] you to shoot them. (Not saying that was what happened in this case)
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Balanced reporting is absolutely crucial in these matters, as the issue shouldn't be about hanging officers out to dry, but rather learning from those
mistakes when they are made.
No police officer wants to shoot anyone, never mind someone with mental health issues, however, sadly these incidents will happen from time to time and unless you have been in a similar life threatening situation, you really don't know how you would react.
When I say "you" I dont mean you personally fish, just in general
I think this program highlighted the organisational mistakes that might be improved upon hours before the poor police officer pulled the trigger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.