Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Now here's a funny question..............

Wikiposts

Now here's a funny question..............

Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Now here's a funny question..............

In these days of political correctness, people are afraid of saying "the wrong thing" for fear of upsetting one person or another.

If you said something to someone....and they took offence....is it you who is at fault for saying it.....or them for misinterpreting / being too touchy

I'm not talking about out and out racism, sexism etc.....cos this is inexcusable ....I'm talking about differences of opinion. Have people lost the right to their voice for fear of upsetting someone somewhere?

Should we be careful what we're saying......... or should we be careful what we're interpreting?

Or both?

And does this mean we sacrifice our personal opinions for fear of upsetting one person or another?

OK......what's everyone else think?.......

And as for Bix and Soapy....before you say it. Shutupaya face
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:13 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now here's a funny question..............

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
In these days of political correctness, people are afraid of saying "the wrong thing" for fear of upsetting one person or another.

If you said something to someone....and they took offence....is it you who is at fault for saying it.....or them for misinterpreting / being too touchy

I'm not talking about out and out racism, sexism etc.....cos this is inexcusable ....I'm talking about differences of opinion. Have people lost the right to their voice for fear of upsetting someone somewhere?

Should we be careful what we're saying......... or should we be careful what we're interpreting?

Or both?

And does this mean we sacrifice our personal opinions for fear of upsetting one person or another?

Last edited by Luke I Amyofath; Jan 7th 2006 at 2:15 pm. Reason: took out parts that may upset someone
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:16 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Freedom of speech and all that.

I think that there is a lot of people being misunderstood cos of the way people read words and don't think about what the person is thinking whilst writing them.

I suppose if people take the hump because of something said or written then thats up to them. Lifes too short so get over it.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Luke....for someone who normally has lots to say.....you've said nowt

Is that for fear of saying summat you shouldn't?

This is the "sitting on the fence" category........ and we aint doin that on this thread

Speak up man, I can't hear ya
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
I personally think that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Freedom of speech and all that.

I think that there is a lot of people being misunderstood cos of the way people read words and don't think about what the person is thinking whilst writing them.

I suppose if people take the hump because of something said or written then thats up to them. Lifes too short so get over it.
Thats a brilliant point Ang. We don't think about how others will interpret it cos it would be impossible to legislate for how every person will read the same thing.

I find sometimes when we write things, others can be easily offended. And I'm as guilty as the next for this too. I suppose it's cos we really can't see the smile behind what's being said, so we may easily interpret it as a "dig" and then get upset, when actually the person concerned meant nothing by it, they were infact trying to be humerous.

And yes, I agree ....life is too short.....and we should learn to "get over it"
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's not something I really worry about in real-life as it's so easy to correct yourself if you're misunderstood or if you put yer foot in it... but on here you might type something, have to go off somewhere else, some confusion happens and you might never get to clear it up.
So here's a big apology if I have *ever* offended anyone and will ever offend anyone ever again in the future... there ya go.
Now I can go off and be intentionally insulting
see ya!
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:52 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Luke....for someone who normally has lots to say.....you've said nowt

Is that for fear of saying summat you shouldn't?

This is the "sitting on the fence" category........ and we aint doin that on this thread

Speak up man, I can't hear ya
I find your post highly offensive to say the least. To think that since I have an opinion in any particular post I may make, is merely your own personal opinion and as such differs from that of my own.
The subject of this thread is to promote hatred amongst BE members and as such should at the very least be moderated and scrutinised very closely to reduce posts of an offensive nature.
The very existence of the written word is utterly pungent and should be reduced down to 3 words alone:
Did I Offend
Old Jan 7th 2006, 3:43 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Did I Offend
Look Luke!!!

I object to your use of the word, "Offend"...!

If you has said, "affront, aggrieve, anger, annoy, antagonize, be disagreeable, chop, cut up, disgruntle, disgust, disoblige, distress, disturb, exasperate, horrify, hurt, insult, irritate, jar, miff, nauseate, nettle, outrage, pain, pique, provoke, repel, repulse, rile, shock, sicken, sin, slight, slur, snub, sting, transgress, trespass, upset, vex, wound, or zing", I would feel a lot better!
Old Jan 7th 2006, 3:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Scossie
Look Luke!!!

If you has said, "affront, aggrieve, anger, annoy, antagonize, be disagreeable, chop, cut up, disgruntle, disgust, disoblige, distress, disturb, exasperate, horrify, hurt, insult, irritate, jar, miff, nauseate, nettle, outrage, pain, pique, provoke, repel, repulse, rile, shock, sicken, sin, slight, slur, snub, sting, transgress, trespass, upset, vex, wound, or zing", I would feel a lot better!
Did I offend ?

I did ?

I offend.........
Old Jan 7th 2006, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Or both?

Even "worse" (and I don't think that causing offence is necessarily a bad thing) than someone being offended by something (and there will always be someone out there) are the people that are offended on other people's behalf's just because they read that is was the right-on thing to think in The Guardian.

Think of the children!

Ah well, with the new anti-terrorism laws coming in then we won't be able to tell a "rag head walks into a bar" joke without being arrested.

What's the noise I can hear? <neee-nawww neee-nawww neee-nawww!>
Old Jan 7th 2006, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scossie
Look Luke!!!

PMSL

Errr....actually I didn't PMSL....I was offended that you objected to the word offend cos actually I prefer that over all the other offensive words you've mentioned
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Even "worse" (and I don't think that causing offence is necessarily a bad thing) than someone being offended by something (and there will always be someone out there) are the people that are offended on other people's behalf's just because they read that is was the right-on thing to think in The Guardian.

Think of the children!

Ah well, with the new anti-terrorism laws coming in then we won't be able to tell a "rag head walks into a bar" joke without being arrested.

What's the noise I can hear? <neee-nawww neee-nawww neee-nawww!>
Actually that's a good point.

I've never noticed it in *real* life but on here it happens quite a lot and is quite funny really.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Larissa
Yeah, it's not something I really worry about in real-life as it's so easy to correct yourself if you're misunderstood or if you put yer foot in it... but on here you might type something, have to go off somewhere else, some confusion happens and you might never get to clear it up.
So here's a big apology if I have *ever* offended anyone and will ever offend anyone ever again in the future... there ya go.
Now I can go off and be intentionally insulting
see ya!
That's true Larissa. If you say something in *real life* and you notice you've unwittingly offended someone, you can rectify the situation and correct matters. Whereas on here you might not tell, except to find people ignoring you a lot....lol

As for being unintentionally insulting. In your case NEVER.

You are far too nice and far too diplomatic Larissa
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

I find your post highly offensive to say the least. To think that since I have an opinion in any particular post I may make, is merely your own personal opinion and as such differs from that of my own.
The subject of this thread is to promote hatred amongst BE members and as such should at the very least be moderated and scrutinised very closely to reduce posts of an offensive nature.
The very existence of the written word is utterly pungent and should be reduced down to 3 words alone:
Did I Offend
I am offended that you are offended.

Why would I promote hatred.

I love you.

In fact I love you all.

We all loves ya Lukey
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:21 pm
Banned

I love you.

In fact I love you all.

We all loves ya Lukey
Oh please, what utter nonsense talking like thats gonna offend everyone else here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.