Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Not long to go and the Inland Revenue call me to say I owe them money

Not long to go and the Inland Revenue call me to say I owe them money

Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Not long to go and the Inland Revenue call me to say I owe them money

Hi,

Well we have under 2 weeks left and tonight I get a call from the Inland Revenue saying we owe them a few hundred pounds from overpaid tax credits. They are chasing us for the money which they claim was overpaid in 2007! I don't have long to deal with this matter nor do I want to pay it because I know we don't owe them anything.

It's not the first time they have made errors with our claim! It's so frustrating because we don't have long to sort it out!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:51 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not long to go and the Inland Revenue call me to say I owe them money

Ignore them
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not long to go and the Inland Revenue call me to say I owe them money

Tell them that you have it on good authority that they are a bunch of cowboys so they need to send their calculations.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Maybe this is Gordon's plan to reduce the debt?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

just pay it and move on
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

If it was anybody but the IR , I'd say stuff them.
Pay it, you may want to go back.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:20 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
If it was anybody but the IR , I'd say stuff them.
Pay it, you may want to go back.
Bugger them, the OP could just tell them they are leaving UK and be entitled to more cash from IR than they owe....
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:57 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
I don't have long to deal with this matter nor do I want to pay it because I know we don't owe them anything.
You may be surprised to learn we have telephones and mail services in Australia that work with the UK system. It hardly matters that your the other side the world, you can still resolve any dispute if your so inclined.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I got UK tax demands for the first 2 years I was living in Australia. I kept telling them I was now living in Australia, but it took almost 3 years for that information to sink in.

And Barclays are still taxing my UK savings account, even though I've told them repeatedly that I live in Australia, and therefore should not be paying UK tax. Thats 5 years so far, it still hasn't sunk in with them.

JTL
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I got UK tax demands for the first 2 years I was living in Australia. I kept telling them I was now living in Australia, but it took almost 3 years for that information to sink in.
I think it might come down to resident, ordinarily resident (the terms escape me now). Don't you have to be out of a country for x number of years before you are deemed to be no longer resident for tax purposes? I'm tipping the act of intended migration does not mean they will stop nagging you. I stopped getting letters now, but it's been almost 6 years now!!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

And Barclays are still taxing my UK savings account, even though I've told them repeatedly that I live in Australia, and therefore should not be paying UK tax. Thats 5 years so far, it still hasn't sunk in with them.

JTL

I think I was up to my 6th (no tax payable) return before they agreed that I didn't have to do another one. Maybe it was because I was one of their best customers.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think it might come down to resident, ordinarily resident (the terms escape me now). Don't you have to be out of a country for x number of years before you are deemed to be no longer resident for tax purposes? I'm tipping the act of intended migration does not mean they will stop nagging you. I stopped getting letters now, but it's been almost 6 years now!!
I thought it was x amount of days in any one tax year?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

i had a long drawn out battle with WFTC people who assured me when i first arrived that i didnt owe them anything! THEN hey presto end of financial year and got demand for the lot back! disputed it all, phone calls, letters etc and in the end its a no win situation. Very few people beat the inland revenue! Gonna have to suck it up and move on Im afraid
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by daunted
i had a long drawn out battle with WFTC people who assured me when i first arrived that i didnt owe them anything! THEN hey presto end of financial year and got demand for the lot back! disputed it all, phone calls, letters etc and in the end its a no win situation. Very few people beat the inland revenue! Gonna have to suck it up and move on Im afraid
Hello :waves:

One of the few
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Hello :waves:

One of the few

you waving at me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.