Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Not frozen to death but still fighting global warming...

Not frozen to death but still fighting global warming...

Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not frozen to death but still fighting global warming...

My kids live in constant fear of being shipped to England where they believe they'll either die of the cold or be stabbed to death. They have to put up with us reminiscing about M & S, lemon bon bons and conkers.

This morning they were announced as 1 of the 4 finalists in the news.com 'Junior Green Hero' Awards:
http://www.news.com.au/poll/1,,5017640-5035660,00.html

It's down to votes and they're up against a girl with some pretty big backing...but my lot are quiet achievers and have been more interested in grass roots community work. Winning will mean loads more kids will log onto their site and get motivated to help the community: www.planetpatrol.info

So....please, if only to compensate them for putting-up with mad Pommy parents, could you please vote for: Alastair, Freya & Imogen at:
http://www.news.com.au/poll/1,,5017640-5035660,00.html

We really appreciate it as they work tirelessly for the environment and kids. Please pass the link on to as many others as you can. Thanks so much. 100 carbon credits for everyone!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:43 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Not frozen to death but still fighting global warming...

I voted. Your kids are in the lead with 51% of the votes (or 132 votes in total).

It's nice that you can see instant results! Good luck
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ezzie!

Now up to 137 votes!

Mxxx
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much....a lot can happen in 3 days though.

I've just come down with a rotten fever - only can happen when hubby flies off to Melbourne for the week! My lovely kids are looking after me though...and ticking me off for being out of bed!

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Hi Ezzie!

Now up to 137 votes!

Mxxx
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It is done. I feel sorry for poor Gabby though.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

voted

good luck
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:31 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Voted. . . . . . . . It felt just like a general election, I had no idea who or what I was voting for, I just went with the popular choice!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Nic
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

She might not have got the news that she's in it yet ...dare I say, being down in Tasmania! Someone told us this morning. She might be working and will sort her contacts out over the weekend. I'm sure there's many that would support her.

The Burgraffs votes are creeping up only now because I think they're in S.A or W.A from memory.

These sort of competitions are always difficult. My kids just lost out on a local comp to a girl 'who likes science!'...won't go into details - grrrr!, so it's all swings and roundabouts. Most of the work the kids do is grassroots community stuff rather than heading off and representing Australia. That's their choice. They're not competitive at all - which is kind of why I'd really like to see them win!

Thanks for all your votes...keep passing that link on!

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

It's good practice for the Local Gov't elections this weekend then.
Thanks for the vote!

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
Voted. . . . . . . . It felt just like a general election, I had no idea who or what I was voting for, I just went with the popular choice!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Nic
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Ive just voted too ! But agree poor Gabby, has she no friends or family !

Nicky
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Ive just voted too ! But agree poor Gabby, has she no friends or family !

Nicky
I'm guessing Gabby's mom does not hang out on an internet forum!

I wish it would let me vote again so I could give Gabby a vote.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Done! Good luck to them!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now I'm worried about Gaby!!!!

To be fair, she might not actually want to win. You don't enter yourself, you get nominated and even my kids initially cringed when they heard - they're quite keen now though as they've realised the publicity will bring loads more kids to their websites.

So...maybe she's playing it down on purpose. On the other hand, I know many Tasmanian's were all for the mill. My kids were asked to demonstate and sign things for it, but they felt that it was generally good for Tassie and it would be better to ensure that the owners put in cutting edge decontaminating technology and agreed to regular external checks of waste water....which I must admit I thought was pretty sensible.

I had an email yesterday from someone in the Vegan association complaining that when she'd written to the kids asking them to do a story on how everyone should be a vegan, Alastair answered that he wouldn;t publish such an unbalanced view. Good on him! I know the world might be saved if we all became vegies, but I'm pleased he saw that it's not his place to advocate one practice. He obviously has his moments of incredible maturity...the rest of the time he's a shabby Yr 10 boy with his shirt out and living for the moment when he sees his girlfriend again!

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm guessing Gabby's mom does not hang out on an internet forum!

I wish it would let me vote again so I could give Gabby a vote.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

OK...shouldn't have worried about Gabby. My daughter sent news.com an email last night asking them to remind Gabby she needed votes. Not sure what did it, but she's catching-up fast now!

We need everyone's votes for Alastair, Freya and Immie!

Go to: www.news.com.au click on 'Green Awards' 'Junior Hero'