Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

No more kids - what age did you decide?

Wikiposts

No more kids - what age did you decide?

Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:49 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: No more kids - what age did you decide?

Originally Posted by memewest
We had one accident this year but wasn't meant to be....

I know if i leave contraception to him it's doomed for failure again at some point!
Sorry to hear that..... you're probably right though about the contraception. Good luck with that!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by comet555
Sorry to hear that..... you're probably right though about the contraception. Good luck with that!
Thanks....

Am a firm believer in whats meant to be will be....

Watch this space....

Sort of went of thread there....sorry.

You can have the rod put in your arm i think, and that lasts 5yrs....
If i had the chance to go back in time..... i wouldn't change a single thing, but would advise others to think very, very carefully before doing anything permanently.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:04 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by memewest
Thanks....

Am a firm believer in whats meant to be will be....

Watch this space....

Sort of went of thread there....sorry.

You can have the rod put in your arm i think, and that lasts 5yrs....
If i had the chance to go back in time..... i wouldn't change a single thing, but would advise others to think very, very carefully before doing anything permanently.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Actually, I think the Mirena is looking pretty good at the moment. I really had no desire to do anything permanent just yet. I just wanted something a bit more effective than the pill, I'm very good at taking them but it's easy to forget. I always have a tough time when we travel back to Canada with the big time change too.

If I still don't want kids by the time I'm 35 then I'll have no problem getting the operation done (or talking my husband into it).
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:06 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I think the Mirena is looking pretty good at the moment. I really had no desire to do anything permanent just yet. I just wanted something a bit more effective than the pill, I'm very good at taking them but it's easy to forget. I always have a tough time when we travel back to Canada with the big time change too.

If I still don't want kids by the time I'm 35 then I'll have no problem getting the operation done (or talking my husband into it).
I'd definitely recommend the Mirena - I've had 2 now and they're great, no periods
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:08 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
I'd definitely recommend the Mirena - I've had 2 now and they're great, no periods
The no periods bit is making me very happy! Hopefully it works that way for me.

How do you go about getting one? Do you see your GP first and then go from there? I'm guessing that if they don't do it you get referred to someone who does.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

I've seen some of the recent talk on her about vasectomy's and what not, and it made me wonder how old everyone was when they made the decision.

The reason I ask is that I'm very certain that I don't want to have any more kids. But being 29 (30 next week) sometimes I think maybe I should be waiting a bit to do something more permanent. I know in the end it's my decision, and if I'd have no issues with getting my tubes tied right now. I just keep thinking, what if I change my mind later. I'm sure that's a completely normal thought even though I'm quite certain about no more kids.

Anyway... so what age was everyone? Did you make the right decision or did you regret it later?

I would love for the husband to do his bit but I'm certain that'll never happen!
Hard question.

Hopefully its not out of place for me to chip in being female. Hubby is in his 40's and he knows he's done for kids. We have one on the way at the moment but that's just about all he has left in him.

Coming from the other side being 30 next year I think I am ready to say no more kids. Different situation though as it will be on my third c-section and I don't think I would be willing to do it again and take further risks. I am seriously considering asking for them to sterilise me then.

I think waiting til 35 though would be better

I will be 30 next year
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:33 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hopefully its not out of place for me to chip in being female.
Certainly not out of place, I am a female after all! You can tell by the little pink symbol by my name
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:39 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you go about getting one? Do you see your GP first and then go from there? I'm guessing that if they don't do it you get referred to someone who does.
You get a script for the mirena and then go back to your GP (if they fit them) Mine didn't and I had to go to a private clinic and had to have a GA!
You don't normally need a GA though, this was just something that the clinic I went to insisted on!
It's just like having a pap
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Certainly not out of place, I am a female after all! You can tell by the little pink symbol by my name
Pregnant moment. Read the bit about vasectomy and assumed. Can't see the symbols on me phone to well sorry.

Funny this thread prompted me to think more about being sterilized and in the past five mins I think I've decided I've had enough. Feeling a little tired of pregnancy tonight (dinner sitting high and feeling large, poor hubby not getting much action, time to close this chapter I think) although on the whole I've been enjoying this one because I thought we'd not have anymore kids.

Maybe 30 isn't too young
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

liza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to all

I've got 2 girls, one 10 and one weeks from 3 and I am firm no more kiddies now. At 39, I am exhausted and really think we should have them in our 20's, but was having too much fun travelling the world then! My OH has agreed to go for the snip which is great as it's much easier than what us woman have to go through. I think if you're happy with your lot then you should consider it - but best if hubby goes, and it's so quick and easy for them, as well as easier to reverse for them if ever you had a change of heart!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I nearly died carrying my daughter and was advised not to have any more children as I might not be as lucky next time. I can't take the pill or any type of hormone based contraception. Amazingly even though I was 33 and had this medical history my GP would not refer either me or my husband for sterilisation. She said we might regret it later and to come back when we were 40.

I think it might be some sort of NHS policy????

We're now 42 and haven't changed our minds. Who in their right mind would risk leaving a child Motherless??

On the subject of early Motherhood, I think each person knows when they are ready to have children and I'm glad that I waited. The advantages are that you have far more patience and are less selfish and hopefully have a more secure income. I haven't noticed being particularly any more tired than other parents - what ever their age.

The major downside for us is the age of the grandparents. Our parents had us in their thirties, so they would be in their late 60s when we got pregnant. My daughter has now lost 3 of her grandparents. My own parents never met her.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I saw my GP and she referred me to a gynaecologist at the hospital - I had a choice of paying for a private one, or going public where they bulk billed. It cost me nothing, but it did take a few months for an appointment.

When I went it, they discussed it all with me again and told me to get a prescription from the GP - they then made me another appointment for a few weeks later and I went back for it fitted - it was a bit uncomfortable and left me with a bit of stomach ache for a few hours but once that was over I haven't had any more problems. It's cured my Anaemia and I don't have periods any more either
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Deb & I decided we didn't want any more kids after our son was born. We had a six year old daughter & a son a year old. They're now 23 & 17. The doc originally said to come back when I was 30 though later complications for Deb meant that I had a vasectomy at 25. Too young? Well we're both happy with the descision. Deb is healthier than she was when she was on the pill, we're both 40 now & have a 3 year old granddaughter to enjoy. The beauty being we give her back when we've had enough
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:14 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Pregnant moment. Read the bit about vasectomy and assumed.
No worries! After you posted that I reread my message and realized that I would have probably thought the same thing.

Originally Posted by liza-bee
I am exhausted and really think we should have them in our 20's, but was having too much fun travelling the world then!
I prefer the opposite approach, have them young and do the travelling and fun stuff when you're older. Presumable you'll have more money to do it then too!

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Amazingly even though I was 33 and had this medical history my GP would not refer either me or my husband for sterilisation.

The major downside for us is the age of the grandparents. Our parents had us in their thirties, so they would be in their late 60s when we got pregnant. My daughter has now lost 3 of her grandparents. My own parents never met her.
I'm very surprised they wouldn't do the job when you were younger. That seems like a pretty good case to me.

The grandparent thing was definitely a consideration for us. My mom had me when she was 25 (about the same for my husbands parents). So it's been great having relatively young grandparents. I still have 2 grandparents left and 1 great grandparent whose nearing 100 years old now. I really wanted them to have time with my parents. I did lose one grandpa very young and I hardly remember anything about him which I think is sort of sad.

Originally Posted by Wendy
I had a choice of paying for a private one, or going public where they bulk billed. It cost me nothing, but it did take a few months for an appointment.
Was there much time difference between public or private? Did they tell you how much it would likely cost going private? I'm just curious because we have private health care and haven't used it yet so it might be nice to get something out of it. Although if it's going to cost a lot then public would probably be better. I can handle a couple hundred bucks though, especially if I didn't have to wait forever. A coule months isn't too bad though.

Originally Posted by cresta57
Too young? Well we're both happy with the descision.
That's great it's worked out for you. I often wonder if people would be so happy with the decision if they were to split up or lose a spouse? I think that's the time that a lot of people would move on with someone else and the idea of kids would crop up again. I don't forsee that happening but you never know.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:28 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen some of the recent talk on her about vasectomy's and what not, and it made me wonder how old everyone was when they made the decision.

The reason I ask is that I'm very certain that I don't want to have any more kids. But being 29 (30 next week) sometimes I think maybe I should be waiting a bit to do something more permanent. I know in the end it's my decision, and if I'd have no issues with getting my tubes tied right now. I just keep thinking, what if I change my mind later. I'm sure that's a completely normal thought even though I'm quite certain about no more kids.

Anyway... so what age was everyone? Did you make the right decision or did you regret it later?

I would love for the husband to do his bit but I'm certain that'll never happen!
I look at babies now and I think 'Ahhhh, isn't it cute'... but then this really weird thing happens... I see their faces morph into two year old faces, then into spotty sullen teen faces, then into adults getting pissed .... the other day I looked at a baby and I could tell what he was going to look like when he was 80.
My brain says 'no more' though I do think about having more occasionally ... but I'd want to get my business off the ground... and the two are not compatible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.