Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

A night out in cardiff pics !

Wikiposts

A night out in cardiff pics !

Old Apr 11th 2009, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A night out in cardiff pics !

Originally Posted by paulry
I'll never forget the combined smells of hops and fish and chips around there.

I went past the old bus station a couple of months ago. I was surprised to see that they've knocked that all down now.
Yes, when you got off the train at Queen Street, you knew you were in Cardiff just from the smell. The old brewery building is still there but the brewery itself has moved just down the road to the other side of the station. So you still get the same hoppy smell - just from a different direction.

The bus station was long due to be demolished LOL. 60s planners have a lot to answer for!!

Did you know Caroline Street is one of the oldest streets in Cardiff? Apparently the houses are medieval and were updated in Georgian times with new facias- if you notice the road is higher than the bottom of the buildings because the street level has risen over the years.

We lived in Cardiff for 18 years and although the city centre was a bit rough at night, I would still say it is a lot safer and has less problems than most major cities. Prior to living in Cardiff we lived in Liverpool, Manchester, London and Birmingham and all these cities had worse problems then, than Cardiff does now.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 4:42 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Yes, when you got off the train at Queen Street, you knew you were in Cardiff just from the smell. The old brewery building is still there but the brewery itself has moved just down the road to the other side of the station. So you still get the same hoppy smell - just from a different direction.

The bus station was long due to be demolished LOL. 60s planners have a lot to answer for!!

Did you know Caroline Street is one of the oldest streets in Cardiff? Apparently the houses are medieval and were updated in Georgian times with new facias- if you notice the road is higher than the bottom of the buildings because the street level has risen over the years.

We lived in Cardiff for 18 years and although the city centre was a bit rough at night, I would still say it is a lot safer and has less problems than most major cities. Prior to living in Cardiff we lived in Liverpool, Manchester, London and Birmingham and all these cities had worse problems then, than Cardiff does now.
The bus station building was always a bit of a dinosaur. I remember it well from many years ago when there was a restaurant at the one end - I think it used to be called Asteys.

It's interesting to learn of Caroline Street's medieval past. I can't remember noticing that the buildings were lower than the road. I'll look at it with new eyes when I next pass though there.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smudger_scfc
Little do you realise that all of them pics were taken at 14:30 on a friday afternoon. Just before christmas when all the dole bludgers got there double giro, the sky always turns black on this day when the locals let there hair down.
Still prettier than Swansea though... Rubbish and all!!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Taffaroo will become famous soon enoughTaffaroo will become famous soon enough

Pretty Shitty City!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Taffaroo
Pretty Shitty City!

lol!!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
Still prettier than Swansea though... Rubbish and all!!
Are you serious There is nothing pretty about Cardiff, at least Swansea has the gower peninsula and the mumbles etc.

And while you're at it that was never a penalty

Taffaroo
Pretty Shitty City
All i can think of is magic mushrooms from a hot dog van when i hear that.

Great film, roll on part deux

Last edited by smudger_scfc; Apr 13th 2009 at 12:39 am.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:36 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool. Local dispute.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by smudger_scfc
Are you serious There is nothing pretty about Cardiff, at least Swansea has the gower peninsula and the mumbles etc.

And while you're at it that was never a penalty

All i can think of is magic mushrooms from a hot dog van when i hear that.

Great film, roll on part deux
Should have had 3 first half!! lol!!

Cardiff is beautiful...

Just had part one delivered via Amazon... Cannot wait to see it again.. the ponderosa, fergie, eedie... Actually bought OH Sperpico for Easter!!

What shape are your corner flags BTW...
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
Should have had 3 first half!! lol!!

Cardiff is beautiful...

Just had part one delivered via Amazon... Cannot wait to see it again.. the ponderosa, fergie, eedie... Actually bought OH Sperpico for Easter!!

What shape are your corner flags BTW...
And Cardiff's got all those pretty rivers
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes.. The Thames is a beautiful one too!!!