Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The NHS worth itself in gold, if only I appreciate it more..

The NHS worth itself in gold, if only I appreciate it more..

Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default The NHS worth itself in gold, if only I appreciate it more..

My OH started throwing up, with real bad headache, he looked like a ghost, real bad he was.
So this morning I took him to the GP, he said take him to the Gold Coast hospital ER immediately with a letter & phone call to the hospital to expect our arrival.
By the time we got to the hospital he couldnt even stand up, he was falling down, couldnt keep his head up, he fell flat on the chairs throwing up every 5 minuets.
So the nurse said we havent got any bed available in the ER, stay in the waiting room until we come get you, 5 hours later, they called him in, well he's in the ER as we speak I have been in the hospital for nearly 9 hours in total, they send me home to wait by the phone they know he has infection, but dont know where that infection is?
I'm so pissed off, I have private cover & the bloody hospital had no bed available either, I dont know why we are paying all these money every month, god I swear I never said NHS was shit, & if I said it I'm sorry, its the best health system in the world.
Now how can I distract myself, BE members try to cheer me up, I have to stay up by the phone all night.
Its not food poisoning, I wonder what it could be?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The NHS worth itself in gold, if only I appreciate it more..

Hi Farideh,

Fair play, you have been dealt some shit cards since getting to the gold coast.

I hope Chris is ok tonight but believe me the NHS is shit!!

Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justsarah
Hi Farideh,

Farideh that's so awful having to sit and wait for news I know you said about the lack of beds etc. but at least he's somewhere where the treatment is available if he needs it.
BTW he'd have experienced about the same in the UK too. My mom had an evening in a corridor
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:52 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Farideh that's so awful having to sit and wait for news I know you said about the lack of beds etc. but at least he's somewhere where the treatment is available if he needs it.
BTW he'd have experienced about the same in the UK too. My mom had an evening in a corridor
Same with my Mum. The nurse said 'there was no point in sending her up to the wards as she was only given 24 hours' - I will never forget those words - ever. She spent two days in A/E and it was only some serious pressure from my family that she got a bed.

Have they done any MRI scans or anything?

My thoughts are with you Farideh and please do not be afraid to insist on any tests, he is your husband, and you have every right to whatever tests may be needed to get a diagnosis.

Keep us informed.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank guys just got phone call to go & get him as they need the bed, but if he gets any worse to take him back in 4 hours time, what the hell, I cant believe the treatment.
I'm so tried my brain has gone totally numb, I go & see to chris, I'll let you guys know later.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Blinkin heck, how much bad luck can you have. Sending you and Chris my best wishes. Hope he improves soon. Do not be scared to take him back to the hospital if you are worried.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by justsarah
Hi Farideh,

on ballance here id like to say that the nhs has kept my son with us through the excelent drop of the hat treatment in the last year.
im sad you have had the experience to feel this way,maybe children are treat differantly.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:34 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Thank guys just got phone call to go & get him as they need the bed, but if he gets any worse to take him back in 4 hours time, what the hell, I cant believe the treatment.
I'm so tried my brain has gone totally numb, I go & see to chris, I'll let you guys know later.
Have they given any indication of what is wrong? It is very worrying that they are sending him home if they dont know what is wrong.

Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Sending vibes for you...hope OH gets better very soon.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:35 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Just sending you warm wishes.

I know it's so easy to be upset & start thinking that everything would be better back in the UK, but believe me, it isn't really like that - I think hopsitals are the same the world over, some good, some bad & a shortage of beds & waiting everywhere

Waiting is just the worst, but do try & relax some & make sure you have soemthing to eat & drink - look after yourself so you can be there when you're needed

Fingers crossed, eh?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Thats awful

Hope hes ok soon.

Nickie
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Just to balance the discussion, my wife and I are here on a student (and spouse!) visa and have paid about $500 for a years health cover. My wife has developed what we thought was Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, but turns out to be a weird form of tendonitis.

Well! we (she!) has had about $5000 worth of tests/scans/etc and all we have paid is the excess amounting to about $250. Even the prescriptions have only cost (on average) about $15 a time.

In the UK (although free!) this lot would have taken about 2 years with waiting lists for each procedure (took about 2 months in total here!)

Swings and roundabouts I guess, but we seem to have been lucky and she's on the mend!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The NHS worth itself in gold, if only I appreciate it more..

My OH started throwing up, with real bad headache, he looked like a ghost, real bad he was.
So this morning I took him to the GP, he said take him to the Gold Coast hospital ER immediately with a letter & phone call to the hospital to expect our arrival.
By the time we got to the hospital he couldnt even stand up, he was falling down, couldnt keep his head up, he fell flat on the chairs throwing up every 5 minuets.
So the nurse said we havent got any bed available in the ER, stay in the waiting room until we come get you, 5 hours later, they called him in, well he's in the ER as we speak I have been in the hospital for nearly 9 hours in total, they send me home to wait by the phone they know he has infection, but dont know where that infection is?
Very sorry to hear about your husband. Hope he gets looked after soon.

I'm so pissed off, I have private cover & the bloody hospital had no bed available either, I dont know why we are paying all these money every month, god I swear I never said NHS was shit, & if I said it I'm sorry, its the best health system in the world.
According to the 2007 European Health Consumer Index, the NHS is a "mediocre overall performer."

Out of 29 different European national healthcare systems, the NHS is ranked 17th in terms of service quality and 26th in terms of value for money. It also has one of the worst records for virus and infection control.

The best you can say for the NHS is that it pays for more than Medicare and provides cheaper prescriptions. Quality of service is definitely not something the NHS can brag about.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Now how can I distract myself, BE members try to cheer me up, I have to stay up by the phone all night.
Its not food poisoning, I wonder what it could be?

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Your experiences are replicated in A/E departments all over the UK everyday/night.
Thats one of the reason I am leaving the A/E speciality in UK to work in ICU in Australia.
I know this is going to give you no comfort but please dont think the NHS is any different on this one.
HKA
x
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about this.

Push harder!!! This IS serious.

Tell them (lead ED physician) that you want antibiotic cover IMMEDIATELY. Get them to take bloods first, then administer the antibiotics.

Tell them that you already have a lawyer looking into the sub-standed healthcare and subsequent attempted cover-up of one member of your family, with a view of suing their ass off, and are quite prepared to retain that lawyer to look into the present situation. Also advise them that you are documenting everything by the minute/hour etc. And ask them for the names of all people involved in his care.

Also, ph your GP and ask for his/her advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.