British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   NEWS OF THE WORLD--GONE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/news-world-gone-724004/)

Bernieboy Jul 7th 2011 3:55 pm

NEWS OF THE WORLD--GONE

As of sunday it will be no more:thumbup:

Pollyana Jul 7th 2011 4:20 pm

Re: NEWS OF THE WORLD--GONE

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9481355)
As of sunday it will be no more:thumbup:

You're kidding? :ohmy:

newjersey Jul 7th 2011 4:23 pm

Good news :thumbup:

Pollyana Jul 7th 2011 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by newjersey (Post 9481424)
Good news :thumbup:

Just come up on Twitter

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...08/3264142.htm

Britain's News of the World tabloid will print its last ever edition on Sunday following a scandal over phone hacking, owner Rupert Murdoch's son James Murdoch said.

"Having consulted senior colleagues, I have decided that we must take further decisive action with respect to the paper. This Sunday will be the last issue of the News of the World," he said in a statement.

rasen78 Jul 7th 2011 4:50 pm

I just hope that if any of the allegations are found to be true, the perpetrators face criminal charges. Perverting the course of justice at least.

sonlymewalter Jul 7th 2011 7:03 pm

Wonder if closing it stops him going bankcrupt:sneaky:

Carbery Jul 7th 2011 8:14 pm

The NOTW will be no more but the Sun will probably print 7 days a week to replace it. Just a rebranding exercise...

Hebe Jul 7th 2011 8:33 pm

Probably little to do with the Murdochs taking the high ground and more to do with the withdrawal of advertising and the fact that Murdoch wants to take over all of BSkyB!

The journos will probably turn up elsewhere in the group

Bernieboy Jul 7th 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Carbery (Post 9481906)
The NOTW will be no more but the Sun will probably print 7 days a week to replace it. Just a rebranding exercise...

True:thumbdown:

chris955 Jul 7th 2011 9:42 pm

Wow, even the Murdochs have realised they have overstepped the mark. I cant see that the rag will be missed by many.

Carbery Jul 7th 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9482085)
Wow, even the Murdochs have realised they have overstepped the mark. I cant see that the rag will be missed by many.

Certainly not the chattering classes. It sold 2.8 million a week.

Carbery Jul 7th 2011 9:59 pm

I hear the Guardian will not be published tomorrow - all the journalists are in a massive conga round their offices..

Wol Jul 7th 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Carbery (Post 9482103)
I hear the Guardian will not be published tomorrow - all the journalists are in a massive conga round their offices..

Don't you mean "all the jainrstlous are in a mivasse cgnoa ruond their ocfife"?

Carbery Jul 7th 2011 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 9482124)
Don't you mean "all the jainrstlous are in a mivasse cgnoa ruond their ocfife"?

ecxatlee:thumbup:

hoofie2002 Jul 8th 2011 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Carbery (Post 9482103)

Crap as the News of the Screws is, I would hope the Grauniad wouldn't glorify about 500 people being thrown out of work...oh they would since they work for Murdoch so they don't count.

The whole think smacks of Murdoch putting distance between his execs and the scandal. If everyone is out of work and the files are gone it's a bit harder to find out who was behind it all - there is more to come with this. Give it a couple of months and Rebekah Brooks will be out when it gets closer to Murdoch. If she had any integrity she would go down with the ship now.

p.s. She was the delightful lady who was previously married to Ross Kemp and who ALLEGEDLY [no charges were brought] smacked him around.