Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Post News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

The Minister for Immigration, Chris Bowen, has today announced that all new immigrants will be required to pass a driving test, no matter which country they have lived in previously.

Mr Bowen stated "It has been noticed that driving competence from other countries is not to the same standard as that in Australia. In particular, drivers are not used to the higher powered vehicles available in Australia, correct lane usage, traffic conditions and general road courtesy. I have therefore introduced this measure to improve road safety and reduce Australia's road death toll."

Mr Bowen confirmed that the new ruling would take immediate effect today, April 1st, 2011.

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Mar 31st 2011 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:02 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

When I came to Australia in 1994 that was how it was done. Full driving test including 3 point turn, emergency stop, reverse park etc after 17 years of driving was very traumatic.

Maybe they should bring it back for all the reasons you mention, July 1st would be a better date to introduce such a scheme though.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Alfresco; Mar 31st 2011 at 9:59 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Hmmmmmm is this an April Fool......

Jo
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The Minister for Immigration, Chris Bowen, has today announced that all new immigrants will be required to pass a driving test, no matter which country they have lived in previously.

Mr Bowen stated "It has been noticed that driving competence from other countries is not to the same standard as that in Australia. In particular, drivers are not used to the higher powered vehicles available in Australia, correct lane usage, traffic conditions and general road courtesy. I have therefore introduced this measure to improve road safety and reduce Australia's road death toll."

Mr Bowen confirmed that the new ruling would take immediate effect today, April 1st, 2011.

BB
This is a joke, Australians are terrible drivers. Just because there are loads of v8 holdens and fords here doesn't mean they can drive.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Scientists have just discovered a new species of immigrant, it's been spotted wearing baggy shorts ankle length with pumps and a basketball top with american baseball cap slightly to one side with greasy looking unkept hair under it, with a blank yet bored expression on its spotty face, they have named it the emogrunt, because thats all it does
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What date is it today?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Won't need to bother as 40 speed limit all over Melbourne and 80 on country roads and freeways, also heard on radio today 1st April, hope it is a joke
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
Won't need to bother as 40 speed limit all over Melbourne and 80 on country roads and freeways, also heard on radio today 1st April, hope it is a joke
The 40 speed limit is a serious proposition. The 80 speed limit was a joke. Driving test is a joke! Well done BB, you fooled me for the time it took to google it!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
The 40 speed limit is a serious proposition. The 80 speed limit was a joke. Driving test is a joke! Well done BB, you fooled me for the time it took to google it!
good joke BB.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

MarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really nice

I note that it seems to be a joke, though I would suggest that they re test Australians to bring them up to the standards expected by those cpoming here!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkandS
I note that it seems to be a joke, though I would suggest that they re test Australians to bring them up to the standards expected by those cpoming here!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:43 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkandS
Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Let me guess, neither of you passed a local test to get your Aussie licence (Or you're still on your UK licence.)

There's a pattern I've detected.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Let me guess, neither of you passed a local test to get your Aussie licence (Or you're still on your UK licence.)

There's a pattern I've detected.
I have a QLD licence & no, I didn't have to do any kind of test. I have done the practice theory test online though & failed!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
I have a QLD licence & no, I didn't have to do any kind of test. I have done the practice theory test online though & failed!

I'll stay away from NEQ then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.