Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

This news just in - bananas too expensive ...

This news just in - bananas too expensive ...

Old May 14th 2006, 7:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: This news just in - bananas too expensive ...

Originally Posted by kiwichild
If Howard and Costello ever get wind of your posts Vash I can just see them offering you pre-selection for a safe Liberal seat here

Believe it or not, I don't actually vote. Never have; never will.

But in general, I do like what Howard is doing with the country.

In general...
Old May 14th 2006, 7:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This news just in - bananas too expensive ...

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

In general...
For someone who takes no part in the democratic process - you sure have a lot of opinions, Vash! :scared:
Old May 14th 2006, 7:48 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going through withdrawl symptoms Roll on next year when hopefully the prices will be back to somewhere near affordable is all I can say but really you'd think Australia could import some of those lovely South American bananas to fill the shortfall.

I'm sure they could organise a fruit disease inspection at customs if they got off their ass. Smacks of politics to me: banana growers not wanting to risk the market being opened up. But a limited import situation would help ease things though I guess growers don't want to compete with selling a vastly reduced stockpile at regular prices as they would lose financially. Realistically there should be some level of insurance coverage for them or government compensation so they aren't left having to incur huge losses and maybe even be forced to walk away from the industry
Old May 14th 2006, 7:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: This news just in - bananas too expensive ...

Originally Posted by Hutch
For someone who takes no part in the democratic process - you sure have a lot of opinions, Vash! :scared:
It's the best way to be, mate...
Old May 14th 2006, 7:53 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I have to agree. Most who get passionate about politics even if not party members, I would think would vote at least. Care to share your reasoning for not voting Vash? It intrigues me, to say the least, coming from someone like yourself. Could it be that you don't really have that much faith in the current political system/choices here?
Old May 14th 2006, 7:55 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: This news just in - bananas too expensive ...

I'm going through withdrawl symptoms Roll on next year when hopefully the prices will be back to somewhere near affordable is all I can say but really you'd think Australia could import some of those lovely South American bananas to fill the shortfall.

I'm sure they could organise a fruit disease inspection at customs if they got off their ass. Smacks of politics to me: banana growers not wanting to risk the market being opened up. But a limited import situation would help ease things though I guess growers don't want to compete with selling a vastly reduced stockpile at regular prices as they would lose financially. Realistically there should be some level of insurance coverage for them or government compensation so they aren't left having to incur huge losses and maybe even be forced to walk away from the industry
I think that if Australia is the only country which has no form of banana disease, our interests will be best served by maintaining the status quo. Why risk losing our exclusive status?

The emphasis should be on banana exports, not banana imports. Let's sell those bendy little buggers to the world!

BTW kiwi, I'm amazed that you haven't spotted this thread yet...
Old May 14th 2006, 7:57 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: This news just in - bananas too expensive ...

I have to agree. Most who get passionate about politics even if not party members, I would think would vote at least. Care to share your reasoning for not voting Vash? It intrigues me, to say the least, coming from someone like yourself.
Religious conviction.

Could it be that you don't really have that much faith in the current political system/choices here?
I don't have much faith in the political process anywhere, mate.
Old May 14th 2006, 8:27 am
Banned

BTW kiwi, I'm amazed that you haven't spotted this thread yet...
I have, and I have replied to it
Old May 14th 2006, 8:37 am
Banned

I think that if Australia is the only country which has no form of banana disease, our interests will be best served by maintaining the status quo. Why risk losing our exclusive status?

The emphasis should be on banana exports, not banana imports. Let's sell those bendy little buggers to the world!
Are we sure that this claim that Australia is the only disease free banana state is accurate? I appreciate the need for strong protection against the possibilty of introducing such problems, but how much is fact and how much is propaganda? Surely Australia can import fruit (it does with oranges, apples, etc) and keep standards high.

Infact generally speaking, I am not in favour of importing any product to such a degree or at such very very low cost that it adversley affects domestic growers, but we do! Orange growers and onion growers in WA have been dumping/burying their produce because they can't compete. Some say 'viva la free market' I say it is foolishness for any nation to put itself in such a situation that it potentially ends up having to rely on another nation for it's food supply.

Yep definitely export them when supply is plentiful, I agree. Though some might say this would then make us a "Banana Republic" LOL
Old May 14th 2006, 11:34 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

In general...

Don't often (infact never) get involved with these threads, but you've just touched a nerve, people who don't vote should keep their mouths shut, sorry vash, but I can't believe you don't vote, in my family that is just about the worse crime you can commit,
Am away to hide now
Old May 14th 2006, 11:34 am
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

We normally buy a shedload of bananas each week but we were not prepared to pay the $10/kilo that they are asking for them this week, it is just scandalous and daylight robbery. Works out at somewhere near $2 per banana. :scared:

just import them and be done with it I say.
Old May 14th 2006, 12:00 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they have all gone the way of Ranci's banana
Old May 14th 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Are we sure that this claim that Australia is the only disease free banana state is accurate? I appreciate the need for strong protection against the possibilty of introducing such problems, but how much is fact and how much is propaganda? Surely Australia can import fruit (it does with oranges, apples, etc) and keep standards high.

Infact generally speaking, I am not in favour of importing any product to such a degree or at such very very low cost that it adversley affects domestic growers, but we do! Orange growers and onion growers in WA have been dumping/burying their produce because they can't compete. Some say 'viva la free market' I say it is foolishness for any nation to put itself in such a situation that it potentially ends up having to rely on another nation for it's food supply.

Yep definitely export them when supply is plentiful, I agree. Though some might say this would then make us a "Banana Republic" LOL
Most commercial bananas around the world are genetically the same. Any disease anywhere will affect the crop worldwide.

Bananas aren't native to Australia so we do not have a reservoir of anti-disease pathogens or bug eaters that will counter anything introduced (Just keep reminding yourself of the Cane Toad that Qld farmers brought in the 1930s to solve a minor problem, unfortunately the Toads were ground dwellers and the Sugar Cane bugs were located up the stem. Obviously that subtlety was lost on the Queenslanders ). Thus the bananas grown here are extremely vulnerable to anything from anywhere. Hence the no import rule. Furthermore the Philippines is a native home to bananas and has several diseases that are native to there.

Another thing to consider, although it seems beyond most people, is that if we do import bananas and some bug or disease will get in because from what I read those wanting to import bananas stated that they would leave it up to the Filipino's to do the treatment prior to departure. It will take years and years to breed up another variety of banana after our present variety is trashed. I feel that it is better to go without or have a lot less bananas for 12 months or so than go without or have a great deal less for some years.

And Yep, they grow Bananas from Coffs Harbour up. So why that particular area supplied 90% of the East Coast market is beyond me.
Old May 14th 2006, 12:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Red face Re: This news just in - bananas too expensive ...

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Don't often (infact never) get involved with these threads, but you've just touched a nerve, people who don't vote should keep their mouths shut, sorry vash, but I can't believe you don't vote, in my family that is just about the worse crime you can commit,

Am away to hide now
Sorry to hear that mate, but the sad fact is that big corporations are the ones who write the rules these days; our votes hardly count for anything except to decide which bunch of bastards will be screwing us for the next four years.

Count up the number of disastrous decisions that the Blair government has made since coming into power (ie. war on Iraq, war on Afghanistan, etc.) and see how many you were given a chance to vote for.

I'd be surprised if you can find more than one.

Now, what does that say about the value of the democratic process these days?
Old May 14th 2006, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that mate, but the sad fact is that big corporations are the ones who write the rules these days; our votes hardly count for anything except to decide which bunch of bastards will be screwing us for the next four years.

Count up the number of disastrous decisions that the Blair government has made since coming into power (ie. war on Iraq, war on Afghanistan, etc.) and see how many you were given a chance to vote for.

I'd be surprised if you can find more than one.

Now, what does that say about the value of the democratic process these days?

I have to say, I have only ever voted once in my life.

this is part of the reason why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.