Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

newby heading to the peel (Mandurah help please)

newby heading to the peel (Mandurah help please)

Old May 16th 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

AndyChris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: newby heading to the peel (Mandurah help please)

Originally Posted by Kate-Lin
Hi all,
we are hoping to get our visa soon ish and are planning on working in Mandurah . We did visit once on holiday which was great,but we know holiday and living in a place is very different. We have 2 kids age 10 & 11 so where wondering whether if anyone has any advice about the best suburbs to live and schools etc and generally what there is going on for kids in the area.We would consider living outside maybe Rockingham and travelling in? any thoughts?
Very confused person would really appreciate the help in making some sort of a decision .
Cheers
Kate
Hi my partner and i will be arriving in Mandurah Nov 30th most of our family live in Meadow Springs which is lush just the right distance from the beach etc.
Old May 16th 2009, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Kate-Lin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I'll check it out and have a look at the schools too, good advice about looking at those first, after all that's why we moved to the hopuse we live in now. The choice seems huge and everywhere seems to have an advantage in one way or the other. There is such a lot to consider, as if deciding to move to the other side of the world was a walk in the park!
How strange about the petrol prices, mind you they go up oh & up again in a week!
Anybody know anything about Falcon or Madora Bay?

Last edited by Kate-Lin; May 16th 2009 at 5:15 pm.
Old May 17th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I like falcon, once again good primary schools but the state high school would be Halls Head which I wouldn't recommend but then I wouldn't recommend any state high school here ! It's very much a family area with lots of older housing, some fibro, nice beach. Madora Bay is a mix of old and new housing and some years there is a whiff from the beach. No idea on the catchment area for primary schools there though.

These areas are opposite sides of Mandurah and that is what you will also need to consider. Some days it can take me 15-20 mins to travel from Halls Head to Meadow Springs because of the numerous traffic lights. However you do need to look at all the areas to get a feel for them, most people, when they get here, prefer one suburb above all others.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

danbradb1987 will become famous soon enoughdanbradb1987 will become famous soon enough

hi after reading the posts i have been looking at manduria,due to head over hopefully by the end of the year. there will be 6 in total looking at schools for 10,8, and not sure what is available for 16 year old who has just finished gcses any advice would be great
Old May 20th 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Kate-Lin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
sounds as though you 2 youngest are similar ages to mine. after reading all of this I think it is a matter of just getting out there to see where we like the feel of to live, but the schools were our biggest worry. Sounds as though the primary schools are okay it is the secondary ones that have mixed views and most have recommended private. We have had a look at the websites for mandurah baptist, Mandurah catholic and Frederick Irwin ( I think thats the name), they all look good.
Don't know a thing about coleeges or Uni sorry.
have you been to mandurah before?
Old May 21st 2009, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

danbradb1987 will become famous soon enoughdanbradb1987 will become famous soon enough

hi yes i agree the schools look the same my son want to do some form of apprenticship in surveying or electrical enginering, he is saying he doesnt want to go to college god i give up! now you just dont know if you have done enough research.