British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   New traffic penalties to take effect from January 1, 2007 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/new-traffic-penalties-take-effect-january-1-2007-a-414386/)

jensteve Dec 20th 2006 11:25 pm

Re: New traffic penalties to take effect from January 1, 2007

Originally Posted by themerlin
I always think if you are alert enough to see the radar van and slow down in time then it dosn't matter so much that you where speeding.
It's the people who don't see the large 4WD with police on it when they are speeding that really need the fines :)

Your not in Perth are you? They have a lovely selection of radar vans now a lovely shade of forest green!
Its double demit points again from 21 dec to 7 jan!!! and not just for speeding.

The speed debate over here is daft, its far to slow on some roads and the main deaths you see on roads which they all scream about are P platers racing each other in the middle of the night. The majority of the deaths here are speed related, and mainly on the open country roads. The police can do all they want to stop it happening but I don't see patrol cars much after 10pm, certainly few speed traps and never on country roads so what to they expect?
Speed traps put out on school crossing which already have crossing people on is a bit silly as the school kids here do seem to have sense and use the crossing guy. Speed cameras put in overtaking lanes are a bit soft, but find a camera ever down Neaves road - NO Ever seen a camera very late at night while the hoons are screaming round -NO so I think something may be wrong with the police system here. Hoons arn't out going to work at 7am in the morning they are still in bed after the fun they had the night before.
I could practically go on and on, but won't.
Jenny

Amazulu Dec 20th 2006 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve
Your not in Perth are you? They have a lovely selection of radar vans now a lovely shade of forest green!
Its double demit points again from 21 dec to 7 jan!!! and not just for speeding.

The speed debate over here is daft, its far to slow on some roads and the main deaths you see on roads which they all scream about are P platers racing each other in the middle of the night. The majority of the deaths here are speed related, and mainly on the open country roads. The police can do all they want to stop it happening but I don't see patrol cars much after 10pm, certainly few speed traps and never on country roads so what to they expect?
Speed traps put out on school crossing which already have crossing people on is a bit silly as the school kids here do seem to have sense and use the crossing guy. Speed cameras put in overtaking lanes are a bit soft, but find a camera ever down Neaves road - NO Ever seen a camera very late at night while the hoons are screaming round -NO so I think something may be wrong with the police system here. Hoons arn't out going to work at 7am in the morning they are still in bed after the fun they had the night before.
I could practically go on and on, but won't.
Jenny

Yes, the system in WA is ridiculous. Single lane country roads can have a 110kph limit, yet the Graham Farmer Freeway, 4 lanes in part, has a limit of 80kph (no cameras in the tunnel though;) ). The Mitchell/Kwinana Freeways have a limit of 100kph, why not 110kph?

ohippy Dec 21st 2006 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, the system in WA is ridiculous. Single lane country roads can have a 110kph limit, yet the Graham Farmer Freeway, 4 lanes in part, has a limit of 80kph (no cameras in the tunnel though;) ). The Mitchell/Kwinana Freeways have a limit of 100kph, why not 110kph?

The worst is that I come down the Kwinana at 100 and, at the end, it changes to 80 at which point I'm nearly thrown off the road by all the massive lorries travelling well over 100 still. Sometimes I have struggled to keep the car on the road with the wind created by those hurtling monsters !

andrew63 Dec 21st 2006 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There was a UK traffic cop on this site recently who stated that he had never seen an accident where speed was the only factor. He knows more about this subject than you & I, so I'll listen to him rather than you.
If you were driving fast where a pedestrian could step out then that would be driving badly. If you had a blow out, then your vehicle would be unsafe, so should not be on the road.
I will continue to speed where it is safe to do so (& where I won't get caught) at every available opportunity. Some of the new, legal radar detectors are fantastic. I think I will be purchasing soon.

?? Again
Of course speed is never the ONLY factor. You have to hit something.
The faster you go, the less chance you have of avoiding it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Another way of looking at it simply, is what about drink/drug driving? I think even the speeders on here (I hope) disagree with drink/drug driving.
Why is drink/drug driving illegal?
Let me explain simply - it slows down your ability to respond. That means that if there was a hazard ahead it would take you longer to react than a sober person. Similary, if you were doing 80 kmh instead of 60 kmh, the time it takes for you to avoid would not be any better than the driver under the influence.
In essence, it is the exact same.
Drunk driver doing 60 kmh in a 60 zone or a hoon doing 80 in a 60 zone will BOTH take the same amount of time to react to a hazard.

What goes around comes around - people who continue to break the law so that they can get to their destination 5 minutes earlier deserve whatever comes to them.

Andrew

Amazulu Dec 21st 2006 1:24 am

Originally Posted by andrew63
?? Again
Of course speed is never the ONLY factor. You have to hit something.
The faster you go, the less chance you have of avoiding it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Another way of looking at it simply, is what about drink/drug driving? I think even the speeders on here (I hope) disagree with drink/drug driving.
Why is drink/drug driving illegal?
Let me explain simply - it slows down your ability to respond. That means that if there was a hazard ahead it would take you longer to react than a sober person. Similary, if you were doing 80 kmh instead of 60 kmh, the time it takes for you to avoid would not be any better than the driver under the influence.
In essence, it is the exact same.
Drunk driver doing 60 kmh in a 60 zone or a hoon doing 80 in a 60 zone will BOTH take the same amount of time to react to a hazard.

What goes around comes around - people who continue to break the law so that they can get to their destination 5 minutes earlier deserve whatever comes to them.

Andrew

Drink/drug driving is stupid.
You do what you want & I'll do what I want. End of.

MalvernMan Dec 21st 2006 3:35 am

[QUOTE=andrew63

Andrew[/QUOTE]

Speed
Tired - falling asleep at the wheel
Drinking - including drugs

All offenders are dick heads

The more they try and make excuses the bigger the dick head. The fact that my previous car could do 200mph+ doesn't mean I do it. What a crock of shit too make an excuse that a blow out is the result of poor car maintenance.

Leeds_to_Perth Dec 21st 2006 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Andrew63

A slight over simplification there? References please?

I react the same regardless of what speed I am travelling at. The point I think you are trying to make is that the consequences of my reaction may take longer to effect if I am travelling faster.
This is still not the same as if I were drunk/drugged.

I didn't post this thread with the intention of causing a debate over speeding, rather as information for WA residents of the new/changed penalties.

Buzzy--Bee Dec 21st 2006 7:54 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
True! Is it france where thay have 2 speed limits, one for fine weather and one for wet weather?

Yes.

130kph in the dry, 110 in the wet, both ignored by drivers normally doing 150kph. :rolleyes:

:beer:

Buzzy

jon and alex Dec 21st 2006 9:08 am

Mo9st blow outs are caused by either excessively warn tyres or by weakened tyre walls. The tyre walls are normally weakened either by a severe kerbing or by driving on underinflated tyres.
A blow out can occur as a result of hitting debris in the road or suffering a puncture while driving at speed but these are more rare and will normally be coupled with one of the above points.
There are plenty of crashes where speed is not a factor so I do hold that aspect in dispute but the facts, and no I don't know where to point you for this info, are that in crahes where speed is a factor there are more fatalities.
I still think that simplifying the road death debate to the assumption that speeding drivers are the cause is a large part of the problem.
The fact is that someone driving on the M1 at 90mph in clear daylight, light traffic, is alert and a skilled/trained driver is often safer than the person driving at 70mph on the M1 in heavy fog, while tired and there's heavy traffic and maybe even a bit of ice!
So the point is that speeding is not inherently dangerous but it does increase your risk and the risk at which you place others.
Driving fast does reduce reaction times, it reduces brake efficacy, it reduces control, most people do not go and add air to their tyres prior to driving fast, most people do not maintain their cars as well as they should, most people are not trained to a high level, most people do not have their cars adapted for safer high speed driving.
All in all I think most people admit that driving faster is more dangerous but few people seriously believe that is the only factor in road death rates being as high as they are.

Vinny van Gogh Dec 22nd 2006 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
Here's a headsup folks.
I've not seen anything about any of these changes on the TV/online/radio news...

Some serious changes to commonly flouted laws that *might* make people think twice.
It's all about revenue raising if you ask me! ;)

Follow this link

Nit picking a bit but..... is this Oz spelling right?
Spotlight on vehicle used to dazel another Road user or should it be dazzle?
and this...Cyclist not stopping for a yellow biclcle light
and this
Driving backwards for an unreasonable distance and withour due safety
and this
Driving or travelling with body or limbs protuding from a vehicle
and this
Using headlights on highbeam inappropiately
Wonder i f they need a new webmaster :rolleyes:

jensteve Dec 22nd 2006 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
Nit picking a bit but..... is this Oz spelling right?
Spotlight on vehicle used to dazel another Road user or should it be dazzle?
and this...Cyclist not stopping for a yellow biclcle light
and this
Driving backwards for an unreasonable distance and withour due safety
and this
Driving or travelling with body or limbs protuding from a vehicle
and this
Using headlights on highbeam inappropiately
Wonder i f they need a new webmaster :rolleyes:

headlights that dazzle are a pain in the ass, I think it has something to do with no mot and they never get checked to see what direction they are pointing in. Believe me its usually straight through the windscreen and always on a badly lit road.
Jen

wheatsheaf42 Dec 22nd 2006 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by marco121068
Here we go again - the age old speed kills etc.

It's not speed as such - as long as it's used correctly.

In Adelaide there are roads - 4 lanes wide - with a 60kmh limit on them. They're not in residential areas - so why such a low limit? Many of the problems are also due to constantly changing limits, oh - and definitely here in SA.....S**T drivers! :D

Tiredness kills too. My aunt and her grandson (8yo) were killed in a road traffic accident on the way to Adelaide last year at the end of a long trip. No other vehicle was involved.

esperanza Dec 22nd 2006 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
We could perhaps reword the above to say that its ok to drive fast as long as you dont have an accident....

Lets be honest. Slower speeds = shorter stopping distances and more time to react in a lot of circumstances.

Agree 100%, well said.