Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New traffic penalties to take effect from January 1, 2007

New traffic penalties to take effect from January 1, 2007

Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough
Exclamation New traffic penalties to take effect from January 1, 2007

Here's a headsup folks.
I've not seen anything about any of these changes on the TV/online/radio news...

Some serious changes to commonly flouted laws that *might* make people think twice.
It's all about revenue raising if you ask me!

Follow this link
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New traffic penalties to take effect from January 1, 2007

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
Here's a headsup folks.
I've not seen anything about any of these changes on the TV/online/radio news...

Some serious changes to commonly flouted laws that *might* make people think twice.

Follow this link
Yep, more nanny state bullshit from our thin blue line of revenue collectors.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if there is a way round getting these fines - need to think about that one. Seem to be a fair few where the fine and points are going down.

Only one I really disagree with is the relatively low fine for driving whilst on a mobile phone. That should be higher IMO
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:45 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

NSW will also be introducing the roadside instant saliva (lick!) drug tests soon. Just for Cannabis, Ecstacy and Ice.

Like the new points and fines, if you don't agree with them, obey the law, they won't affect you! Personally, I think they should all be tougher and higher. More hidden cameras the better. The worst case scenario is that everyone slows down and drives properly to avoid the fines. What's the harm in that?

Andrew
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I wonder if there is a way round getting these fines - need to think about that one. Seem to be a fair few where the fine and points are going down.

Only one I really disagree with is the relatively low fine for driving whilst on a mobile phone. That should be higher IMO
Radar detectors are still legal in WA. I think it's time to invest in one......
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:26 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Radar detectors are still legal in WA. I think it's time to invest in one......
Isn't it funny how you would consider a radar detector that is "legal" so that you can do something that is "illegal".

Why not just abide by the law - no matter how asinine it is?

Let's hope that if a pedestrian steps out in front of your speeding car they have an ar*ehole detector.

Andrew
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again - the age old speed kills etc.

It's not speed as such - as long as it's used correctly.

In Adelaide there are roads - 4 lanes wide - with a 60kmh limit on them. They're not in residential areas - so why such a low limit? Many of the problems are also due to constantly changing limits, oh - and definitely here in SA.....S**T drivers!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:00 pm
STRIKE HARD STRIKE SURE

Whitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
Here's a headsup folks.

Follow this link
And i thought we had it bad in the uk with money raising schemes
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Whitby whaler
And i thought we had it bad in the uk with money raising schemes
It must come as a shock to those coming from the UK that the authorities raise money through speeding fines - shudder to think that the UK would do anything like this

How the hell do you think the cops pay for their doughnuts
Old Dec 20th 2006, 3:48 am
I don't re Member

Originally Posted by marco121068
Here we go again - the age old speed kills etc.
It's not speed as such - as long as it's used correctly.
Guess what? It does!
Picture this, one car going at 60 kmh in a residential street with a 60 kmh limit, another going at 80 in an identical street.
A kids darts out suddenly into the road.

Which driver is more likley to kill that kid?

Originally Posted by marco121068
oh - and definitely here in SA.....S**T drivers!
Which is where you are!

QED

Andrew
Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by andrew63
Guess what? It does!
Picture this, one car going at 60 kmh in a residential street with a 60 kmh limit, another going at 80 in an identical street.

Which is where you are!

QED

Andrew
1) Driving fast on it's own is not dangerous.
2) Driving fast & badly is dangerous.
3) Driving fast in the wrong conditions is dangerous.

Your scenario would apply to 3).
Therefore it is dangerous.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:27 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on the radio that Double demerit points start tomorrow Thursday and finish on the 7th January 2007 for WA.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Guess what? It does!

Andrew
Aha - the old selective quotation trick!

As I asked in my example - "why such a low limit on a 4 lane road not in aresidential area" - so why are you giving me an example of the cars in residential areas? Oh, and by the way the limit in residential areas is 50kmh (at least it is here).

And I think that in your example - the car travelling at 60kmh would still probably kill the kid because...

a) It's fitted with huge bull bars
b) It's got bald tyres 'cos there's no MOT type inspection in SA which coupled with s**t brakes wouldn't stop in time anyway.
c) The driver is so busy doing something other than concentrating on the driving aspect.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:26 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's going to raise revenue, but something has to be done about the road toll here. Afer a while you become desensitised to it, then it gets to this time of year and you have a night like last night where 4 people lost their lives and it wakens you up to it again.

Personally i'd like to see some form of vehicle testing and a limit on the engine size for young drivers, but you have to wonder what will help to stop people dying on the roads in such high numbers.

Lynn
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
1) Driving fast on it's own is not dangerous.
2) Driving fast & badly is dangerous.
3) Driving fast in the wrong conditions is dangerous.

Your scenario would apply to 3).
Therefore it is dangerous.
We could perhaps reword the above to say that its ok to drive fast as long as you dont have an accident....

Lets be honest. Slower speeds = shorter stopping distances and more time to react in a lot of circumstances.

Nobody plans an accident its an unfortunate series of events. Even at low speeds they are going to happen but if anyone is really suggesting that as a generalisation speed doesn't kill thats just plain silly.

As to the decisions to place certain limits on areas, thats a matter for highways and of course they are going to get it wrong sometimes. Or perhaps there have been previous fatalities you were not aware of.

Personally I think the upping of the mobile phone penalty from 1 to 3 points is awesome. Its my pet hate seeing people on phones behind the wheel and watching them weave all over the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.