Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

Originally Posted by jjoy
Hi Naufil

Can you please tell me why do you have to fill the health undertaking form. Is it because of a past ailment (Koch Infection) which is healed now. If so can you brief me as to what was your experience during the medicals as I am curious as we shall be facing the similar situation.

Further, can you tell me whether this form is filled before the visa is granted or to be filled on arrival at Australia.

Please reply. Thanking you in advance.

Regards

JJoy
A Health Undertaking, if needed, has to be signed before the visa is granted

Originally Posted by m3appy
hi, just curious, what is "pre-granted" ?
If an applicant has to go off-shore for visa grant, they will receive a letter advising that the visa is ready to be granted, and requesting that they inform DIAC as to their travel plans.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

Originally Posted by shafanm
Historically Canadian immigration policies has been very consistent and humane, and fair if and when their were changes they make sure applicants on the pipeline are exempted. Despite taking a much severe beating than Australia from the global financial crisis, Canada made no reduction or major changes to their immigration policies, On the contrary Australia claim they escaped the recession unscathed, but yet, there were three major migration policy changes which were not migration friendly.

Sorry for being off-topic - but this statement should be corrected.
I am quite sure that Canada actually did change their rules due to the crisis.
One, CIC (Canada's equivalent to DIAC) produced a list of professions that are (at all!) eligible to apply for a non-sponsored, independent PR and this list is pretty small:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

Point two is, specific applications in the pipeline were canceled (by CIC) and a refund was paid to the applicants.

However, I'm no expert for the Canadian immigration rules and the knowledge I have is a bit outdated ...

Regards
Dennis

Last edited by Dennis74; Oct 7th 2009 at 3:41 pm. Reason: Twixed word
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:56 pm
Just stretching my clacks

Gillyboots is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dennis74
Sorry for being off-topic - but this statement should be corrected.
I am quite sure that Canada actually did change their rules due to the crisis.
One, CIC (Canada's equivalent to DIAC) produced a list of professions that are (at all!) eligible to apply for a non-sponsored, independent PR and this list is pretty small:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

Point two is, specific applications in the pipeline were canceled (by CIC) and a refund was paid to the applicants.

However, I'm no expert for the Canadian immigration rules and the knowledge I have is a bit outdated ...

Regards
Dennis
You are right Dennis, and herein lies the crux of the matter. The Canadian Government only applied the changes to the applications received AFTER the changes were made, not to active applications, as DIAC have done. To quote from the link you kindly posted:

"These criteria affect you only if you applied on or after February 27, 2008. If you applied before February 27, 2008, your application will be processed according to the rules that were in effect at that time".

Since I applied for the GSM 175 some 13 months ago, there have been so many changes to the processing priorities that it makes my head spin. Firstly the introduction of the CSL, then changes made to the CSL in March, and now the latest set of guidelines introduced on the 23rd. Then we are going to have the phasing out of the CSL, and the introduction of some other list I can't even remember the name of at this point!

To put it in a nutshell, I understand why a Government would want to protect it's citizens and the economy, of course I do. But I cannot and never will understand why they are allowed to continually change the rules for EXISTING APPLICANTS. By all means apply any changes to new applications received on or after a given date, then people can decide whether or not its a road they want to go down before they have parted with their cash
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post Re: New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

Originally Posted by jjoy
Hi Naufil

Can you please tell me why do you have to fill the health undertaking form. Is it because of a past ailment (Koch Infection) which is healed now. If so can you brief me as to what was your experience during the medicals as I am curious as we shall be facing the similar situation.

Further, can you tell me whether this form is filled before the visa is granted or to be filled on arrival at Australia.

Please reply. Thanking you in advance.

Regards

JJoy

hi jjoy,
basically i and my wife had a medical, and on next day i got a call from them to come visit them, and it was just me they wanted , so when i went there they told me, that i was diagnosed hep B, and asked if i knew it before i said ofcourse not cuz i was shocked and worried at the same time to hear that, well they said, that had sent additional test called lft (liver function test) and if that test comes out clear , they will forward my medical results to Diac. so fortunately that all came clear. and they told me i m hep b, but inactive as in i m only a carrier and not infected.

yes the form is filled before they give you the grant letter and before arriving to australia stating that i will be obliged to visit their health undertaking service center in 4 weeks time after i arrive in australia.
its an undertaking form no 915. which they ask you to fill.

well thats about it.. just let me know if you want to know any thing more,

best regards,

naufil
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gillyboots
You are right Dennis, and herein lies the crux of the matter. The Canadian Government only applied the changes to the applications received AFTER the changes were made, not to active applications, as DIAC have done. To quote from the link you kindly posted:

"These criteria affect you only if you applied on or after February 27, 2008. If you applied before February 27, 2008, your application will be processed according to the rules that were in effect at that time".

Since I applied for the GSM 175 some 13 months ago, there have been so many changes to the processing priorities that it makes my head spin. Firstly the introduction of the CSL, then changes made to the CSL in March, and now the latest set of guidelines introduced on the 23rd. Then we are going to have the phasing out of the CSL, and the introduction of some other list I can't even remember the name of at this point!

To put it in a nutshell, I understand why a Government would want to protect it's citizens and the economy, of course I do. But I cannot and never will understand why they are allowed to continually change the rules for EXISTING APPLICANTS. By all means apply any changes to new applications received on or after a given date, then people can decide whether or not its a road they want to go down before they have parted with their cash
WELL SAID GILLYBOOT

If not for the Canadian weather, there will be deluge of application for Canadian PR since the change and future uncertainty in Australian migration policies,
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

vandm is an unknown quantity at this point

How dare you!? "cheer up"?? Listen, I don't think you appreciate how this constant changing of timescales has affected some people's lives, and to what severity in many cases. And i'm not just talking about money or time wasted, i'm talking missed opportunities or possible other options missed. Not only houses or jobs, although that would be bad enough, i'm talking about sick or elderly relatives here, nothing trivial. Its not as simple as "wait it out or go somewhere else" in every case.

I can't speak for everyone else who is going through this upheaval, but for me personally - it was never about running away from my home country, but rather running TO Australia, and the people I have there.

Yes DIAC quote that fees are non-refundable, but at the time of application, they also quoted that the processing time would be 12 months. I strongly believe that to move the goalposts to such a degree should result in at least a partial refund. I know I will not get back money for medicals or police checks as I stupidly front loaded them. I know I won't receive a refund for the IELTS I had to sit, or the ACS/VETASSESS skills assessments both myself and my husband had to complete, or the various other fees we've incurred to date, all that I can live with. But DIAC haven't done a thing with my application yet! So why can't the fee be refunded?

Maybe things have worked out for you, maybe not, I do not know, but a word to the wise - please choose your wording more carefully in future.
i agree with you on this gillyboots. already we are irritated and on top of this some agents on this forum are giving us free philosophy classes like you "sow many seeds....." and quoting aristotle and socrates. its like salting an already sore wound.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

vandm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by INDOAUS
There is no use attacking op as that won't change oz immigration policy. The best thing is to wait patiently and try to work alternative solutions. All in all, think positive.

I do agree the rule changes were unjust to those negatively affected, yet OZ Govt has no obligation to process our visa under certain time period. DIAC only mention estimated time period. The oz govt is trying to protect the jobs of their constituents, which I believe is understandable.

We would also expect our govt to do the same if these issues araised in our home countries.
the best thing is to wait patiently? hello boss we wont have a choice other than waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt. because there are no refunds!!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:15 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Because any Government's first priority is - I submit - to look after the interests of its own citizens.

And when circumstances change at relatively short notice - as they have done globally - a Government does what it considers necessary to look after its own first.

Ask a typical Australian or Brit whether they want their own Government to look after their interests as a citizen of Australia/the UK first over those who want to migrate - I reckon 99 times out of a 100 you would get the same answer.

Yes, in the overall context it is unfair, but such are the rules of the game (as Polly indicated above) - politics and economics rolled into one.

Clearly from a business perspective - and with an empathy for our clients - I'd rather changes weren't made with retrospective effect. Some of us are lobbying for a more equitable outcome. However, equity is not a trait that prevails too often these days, particularly when there is a Federal election in the offing.

Best regards.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:43 am
ajt
Forum Regular

ajt is just really niceajt is just really niceajt is just really niceajt is just really niceajt is just really niceajt is just really niceajt is just really niceajt is just really nice

Originally Posted by INDOAUS
There is no use attacking op as that won't change oz immigration policy. The best thing is to wait patiently and try to work alternative solutions. All in all, think positive.

I do agree the rule changes were unjust to those negatively affected, yet OZ Govt has no obligation to process our visa under certain time period. DIAC only mention estimated time period. The oz govt is trying to protect the jobs of their constituents, which I believe is understandable.

We would also expect our govt to do the same if these issues araised in our home countries.
Hi indoaus
Yes all the governments would do this...but what the applicants expect from DIAC is a humane face ..
Yes people cannot appeal...everything is under the discretion of the DIAC, but isnt it high time they changed these draconian rules...this is no Banana republic and people aint any dumbos ...
The rules have not affected me negatively till now..but like everyone who has applied for an Aus visa...I live in constant fear
I truly empathise with the people who are affected ...I know how it feels
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vandm
i agree with you on this gillyboots. already we are irritated and on top of this some agents on this forum are giving us free philosophy classes like you "sow many seeds....." and quoting aristotle and socrates. its like salting an already sore wound.
Which agent and where might that be? Could you link to the posts?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:43 am
Just Joined

m3appy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A Health Undertaking, if needed, has to be signed before the visa is granted

If an applicant has to go off-shore for visa grant, they will receive a letter advising that the visa is ready to be granted, and requesting that they inform DIAC as to their travel plans.

hi, if all my documents were finalised, including status shown as "met", and medicals finalised too, does that equate to a "pre-grant" too?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:52 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Before you complain about posts by agents, remember how much free time they devote to BE. WIthout them the forum would be much the poorer, and there would be far less information freely available.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:56 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by m3appy
hi, if all my documents were finalised, including status shown as "met", and medicals finalised too, does that equate to a "pre-grant" too?
No idea. Have to ask your case officer.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Because any Government's first priority is - I submit - to look after the interests of its own citizens.

And when circumstances change at relatively short notice - as they have done globally - a Government does what it considers necessary to look after its own first.

Ask a typical Australian or Brit whether they want their own Government to look after their interests as a citizen of Australia/the UK first over those who want to migrate - I reckon 99 times out of a 100 you would get the same answer.

Yes, in the overall context it is unfair, but such are the rules of the game (as Polly indicated above) - politics and economics rolled into one.

Clearly from a business perspective - and with an empathy for our clients - I'd rather changes weren't made with retrospective effect. Some of us are lobbying for a more equitable outcome. However, equity is not a trait that prevails too often these days, particularly when there is a Federal election in the offing.

Best regards.
Hi Allen,
Glade to know some agents are lobbying for more equitable outcome. and you seem to be caught in between your clients and DIAC, I think this issue has been kept away from the Australian Public domain, if fact could be highlighted to the press I think it will put more pressure on the government to be fair.

I have written to my CO. and he have said they are assessing the new processing and will make some decision during this month, what is you opinion on that ?

Thanks regds
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:34 am
Account Closed

aman_sharma2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point

the best thing is to wait patiently? hello boss we wont have a choice other than waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt. because there are no refunds!!
Vandm,

Please be respectful to agents here. They give a lot of valuable advice to applicants like us. If you are really not happy how this forum works, feel free to leave this forum. You are not welcome to this forum with this sort of attitude. You are not here to crib how DIAC works or what agent says...We are here to take help and give help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.