Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:14 am
RMA; Aussie Career Coach

Susan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud of
Default New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

I thought this might be of interest - it's an extract from a Q&A on DIAC's website that I just came across. There doesn't seem to have been a public announcement yet. I've highlighted the parts that relate to General Skilled Migration, as it's a little wordy.

Best regards
Susan

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, has set new priority processing arrangements for certain Skilled Migration visas. These arrangements are designed to better address the needs of industry by targeting skills in critical need across a number of sectors. The current priority processing Direction commenced on 23 September 2009.

The Direction applies to applications in the pipeline that have not been finalised, and to applications lodged with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, on or after 23 September 2009........

.........The Minister has set priority processing arrangements which apply to the following visas from 23 September 2009:

• Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)
• Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS)
• General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas except for:
o Skilled – Recognised Graduate Subclass 476
o Skilled – Designated Area – Sponsored (Residence) Subclass 883
o Skilled – Regional Subclass 887.

Under the Ministerial Direction, the following processing priorities (with highest priority listed first) apply:

1. applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and the RSMS
2. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government and whose nominated occupation is listed on the Critical Skills List (CSL)
3. applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL
4. applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored but whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL
5. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL
6. (i) applications from people whose occupations are listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) and
(ii) applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.
7. all other applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

For the Subclass 485 (Skilled – Graduate) visa the following processing priorities (with highest priority listed first) apply:
1. applications from people who have completed an Australian Doctor of Philosophy (PHD) at an Australian educational institution in Australia
2. applications from people who have nominated an occupation on the CSL
3. applications from people who have completed an Australian Bachelor degree and Australian Masters degree at an Australian educational institution in Australia
4. applications from people who have completed an Australian Bachelor degree and Australian Honours degree (at least upper second class level) at an Australian educational institution in Australia
5. applications from people who have completed an Australian Bachelor degree or Australian Masters degree at an Australian educational institution in Australia
6. all other valid applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

For Business Skills (Provisional) visas the following processing priorities (with highest priority listed first) apply:
1. applications from people who are sponsored by the Commonwealth or a State/Territory government
2. all other valid applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

mrmsml is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Priority processing new list - from 23rd Spet 2009

New priority processing list is now available which is effective from 23rd Sept 2009. check below.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...processing.pdf
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Petroda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

Thanks for sharing this Susan.

I guess this would mean a lot of changes with respect to processing time lines especially for State sponsored non CSL applicants.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

VanAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September

Those clowns have done it again... 3rd, 4th, 5th change this in immigration policies?? Who cares... whose keeping count??!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VanAxel
Those clowns have done it again... 3rd, 4th, 5th change this in immigration policies?? Who cares... whose keeping count??!
They change policies as Australia's need for migrants fluctuates. It makes sense not to have huge amounts of migrants when there are not jobs for them, doesn't it?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

krishnaecetech is an unknown quantity at this point

point 3 yet another intelligent move by DIAC
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:56 am
RMA; Aussie Career Coach

Susan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by krishnaecetech
point 3 yet another intelligent move by DIAC
Hi Petroda

Yes, here's a further extract that relates to processing times:

Q10 How long will it take for my application to be finalised if my nominated occupation is on the CSL?
If you have applied for an onshore or offshore GSM visa and your nominated occupation is on the CSL, it is estimated that your application will be finalised within 12 months from your lodgement date.

Q11 My application does not fall into one of the priority categories. When can I expect to have my application finalised?
If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an offshore GSM visa or intend to apply for an offshore GSM before the end of 2009, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2012.

If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you applied for an onshore GSM visa or intend to apply for an onshore GSM before the end of 2009, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2011.
Your ‘nominated occupation’ is the occupation you nominated at the time you lodged your application and cannot be changed.

Q12 If my nominated occupation is not on the CSL can I still receive priority processing?
No. If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL your application will not be prioritised.

Please do not contact the Department to request your application be exempt from the priority processing Direction. Case officers must adhere to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship’s priority processing Direction.

Q17 I already have a State and Territory nomination, how am I affected?
All GSM applications, other than a Subclass 476, 883 and 887 are subject to the priority processing arrangements under the Minister’s Direction. Applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory and have nominated an occupation on the CSL receive the second highest priority. Applicants who are nominated by a State/Territory and have not nominated an occupation on the CSL will receive lower priority.

Best regards
Susan
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:05 am
Just Joined

anthony1233 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Susan Wareham McGrath
Hi Petroda

Q10 How long will it take for my application to be finalised if my nominated occupation is on the CSL?
If you have applied for an onshore or offshore GSM visa and your nominated occupation is on the CSL, it is estimated that your application will be finalised within 12 months from your lodgement date.

Q11 My application does not fall into one of the priority categories. When can I expect to have my application finalised?
If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an offshore GSM visa or intend to apply for an offshore GSM before the end of 2009, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2012.

If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you applied for an onshore GSM visa or intend to apply for an onshore GSM before the end of 2009, it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2011.
Your ‘nominated occupation’ is the occupation you nominated at the time you lodged your application and cannot be changed.

Q12 If my nominated occupation is not on the CSL can I still receive priority processing?
No. If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL your application will not be prioritised.

Please do not contact the Department to request your application be exempt from the priority processing Direction. Case officers must adhere to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship’s priority processing Direction.

All GSM applications, other than a Subclass 476, 883 and 887 are subject to the priority processing arrangements under the Minister’s Direction. Applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory and have nominated an occupation on the CSL receive the second highest priority. Applicants who are nominated by a State/Territory and have not nominated an occupation on the CSL will receive lower priority.

Best regards
Susan

What they mean by the priority categories? what are these categories ?

Cause they mentioned that applicants witout csl have to wait after 2011/2012? Is this apply for applicants with state sponsorship that are not on csl ?

Please make it clear for me . thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Petroda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Susan. I guess this a major change in the recent times.

Originally Posted by Susan Wareham McGrath
Hi Petroda

Best regards
Susan
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

VanAxel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
They change policies as Australia's need for migrants fluctuates. It makes sense not to have huge amounts of migrants when there are not jobs for them, doesn't it?
CSL is a joke from the start! Being on the CSL dosent guarantee one a job.

Hey I'm on CSL, I got my PR in 5 months, I'm now in AU, but I cant find a job so Im workin in a supermarket or taxi driver.

Its not fair to migrants who have applied to wait till 2012 (if they are even lucky to get the VISAs by then if the policies don't change from now (hahaha)) and being kept pushed back down the pile and with no chance of getting a refund or even a partial refund?

John Howard got immigration policies right.

Last edited by VanAxel; Sep 23rd 2009 at 4:21 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Am I right in thinking that the losers are those who are requesting state sponsorship but their occupation is not on the CSL?

Whereas in the old scheme they would have been processed in priority to CSL applicants without state sponsorship - but now they will be processed after?

wow that sucks.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:50 am
Just Joined

bbraj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DIAC New Priority List

Here it goes...

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...processing.pdf

Share your thoughts......
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

dasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond repute

In Q11 what will happen to people with MODL and SOL, not on CSL nor sponsored and applied before the end of 2009? (2008, 2007)

Daniel
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:58 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

For people who are confused by this thread, the link to the whole document is http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...processing.pdf .

Overall, apart from giving family sponsored CSL applicants a bit of a leg up, and state sponsored non-CSL applicants a bit of a leg down, there aren't major changes for offshore applicants. Still the case that without a state sponsor or CSL occupation you will be waiting for some time to come.

For onshore applicants the announcement of priorities for subclass 485 applications at least sheds some light on a situation which has been quite mysterious until now.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

HoriFTC will become famous soon enoughHoriFTC will become famous soon enough

I don't understand something:

Under Q2 they list the 7 priority processing groups, where state sponsored applicants without CSL come into group 5.

Under Q11 the say if you don't have a nominated occupation on the CSL in your offshore application, then your application won't be finalised before the end of 2012.

Does it apply also for state sponsored application without CSL occupation?

Under Q12 they say non CSL applications cannot receive priority processing, although under Q2 such applications come into the groups of 5, 6 and 7.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.