Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

new neighbours, who has to introduce?

Wikiposts

new neighbours, who has to introduce?

Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default new neighbours, who has to introduce?

What is the "rule" in Australia, when you move to a new palce or new neighbours have moved, who has to introduce to the other party? The new to the old or the old to the new?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new neighbours, who has to introduce?

Originally Posted by Evelin
What is the "rule" in Australia, when you move to a new palce or new neighbours have moved, who has to introduce to the other party? The new to the old or the old to the new?
There isn't a rule. If you want to introduce yourself then do it. If you don't, don't.

From my experience most don't bother and you just run into them in passing.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:05 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need to borrow any sugar?

I'm lucky and live in a very friendly town. Everyone says hello to everyone else. Some posters find that maybe things aren't so friendly. So is there a rule? I don't think so. If you are asking if you should pop next door and say hello, I'd make the first move. Neighbours can be hellish or wonderful, just like in the UK. At least if you make the first move, you'll find out even sooner.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a 'rule' in any other country?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved in both sides to us said hello and introduced themselves and we have not seen them since
Only joking if you dont see them first just knock on there door and say hello
We are just on hello terms as there is no need to talk to them as they know all and sundry about us by just opening windows or being in there garden
the joys of living in a unit and in a very close cul-de-sac you can hear everything everyone else is doing you dont need to ask how they are doing
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved in here I met the guy on one side when he just came out to say Hi while we were moving the stuff in. I met the two guys on the other side in the middle of the night when one literally threw the other out of their back door across the garden calling him something unrepeatable. Not sure it really counts as an introduction but after a year I've got used to them doing it every so often
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:47 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Here you are supposed to make a courtesy call and give a small lift like towel, rice crackers etc. The nutter next door gave us a huge bottle of sake as his brother works in a brewery. We haven't reciprocated yet because when I am watching the Premier League on my telly with the volume turned down low (usually after midnight here) he sometimes goes ballistic and hammers on the wall non-stop much to the annoyance of my OH. Cue jokes about the team of your choice.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yes. In Canada you are legally obliged to welcome new neighbours with moose stew, a snow shovel and hand knitted mittens. Failure to comply will result in your igloo being burnt down by the friendliness police.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:07 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Here you are supposed to make a courtesy call and give a small lift like towel, rice crackers etc. The nutter next door gave us a huge bottle of sake as his brother works in a brewery. We haven't reciprocated yet because when I am watching the Premier League on my telly with the volume turned down low (usually after midnight here) he sometimes goes ballistic and hammers on the wall non-stop much to the annoyance of my OH. Cue jokes about the team of your choice.
Obviously has taste and knows that if you knew anything about football you'd be watching Championship instead for a better standard (dives for cover )
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Obviously has taste and knows that if you knew anything about football you'd be watching Championship instead for a better standard (dives for cover )
Glad you didn't say the J League...

He is a copycat though, joined the same Sports & Fitness Club - blanks us everytime there though - in fact when I vanish suddenly from BE you'll know it's because I've been knifed from behind or pushed off the 13th floor here, fodder for the gomi men
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:29 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by expatasia
Glad you didn't say the J League...

He is a copycat though, joined the same Sports & Fitness Club - blanks us everytime there though - in fact when I vanish suddenly from BE you'll know it's because I've been knifed from behind or pushed off the 13th floor here, fodder for the gomi men
Well at least it sounds more glamorous than "picked up by the dustmen"
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:44 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you're refering to that mickey mouse (no offence to mice ) team Forest?
Still can't believe we didn't sign a new keeper, another season with the Spanish Waiter in goal
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:46 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
I presume you're refering to that mickey mouse (no offence to mice ) team Forest?
Still can't believe we didn't sign a new keeper, another season with the Spanish Waiter in goal
We'll come good, just creating a false sense of security for that LEEEEEEEEEEEDS mob

As for your lot, Spanish waiter sounds fairly appropriate
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
At least you kept the waiter sized Barca reject.......
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:53 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

We'll come good, just creating a false sense of security for that LEEEEEEEEEEEDS mob

As for your lot, Spanish waiter sounds fairly appropriate
Couldn't catch a bloody cold i have a minor heart attack every time a cross comes in.

On a positive note my lad is fully trained in the art of the chant

In fact both kids proudly shout "if you hate Tottenham", when I say "stand up"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.