Reload this Page >

New to Melbourne+little bit lonely

New to Melbourne+little bit lonely

Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:18 am
Just Joined

jenl35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Melbourne+little bit lonely

Hi there!

I'm Jen(30)+my partner is Russ (36)-we're both nurses from Liverpool UK + arrived in Melbourne with our little cat at end of August and I think we're both startin to feel abit homesick/lonely.

Spent up until now runnin on auto pilot-mostly to Ikea+back gettin basics for rented house, tryin to get used to new jobs, new surrounds etc but now we've kinda slowed up abit (thru sheer exhaustion!) and all of sudden realised its just the two of us out here+ its weird!!

Findin Melbourne itself nice place to be so far, house is in Highett so not far from beach+Southland but although we've done a few touristy things on days off we've not really had chance to do any "networkin" and findin it alot more difficult than we thought-partly because always seem to be on opposite shifts and also not really sure where to go.
Read about the Melbourne xmas meet-up but typically we we're on late shift so hope u all had great time.
Anyway if there's any fellow Brits out there who r new to Melbourne-or not- and can offer any pointers then wud luv to hear from you.

Jen
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:53 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Melbourne+little bit lonely

Originally Posted by jenl35
Hi there!

I'm Jen(30)+my partner is Russ (36)-we're both nurses from Liverpool UK + arrived in Melbourne with our little cat at end of August and I think we're both startin to feel abit homesick/lonely.

Spent up until now runnin on auto pilot-mostly to Ikea+back gettin basics for rented house, tryin to get used to new jobs, new surrounds etc but now we've kinda slowed up abit (thru sheer exhaustion!) and all of sudden realised its just the two of us out here+ its weird!!

Findin Melbourne itself nice place to be so far, house is in Highett so not far from beach+Southland but although we've done a few touristy things on days off we've not really had chance to do any "networkin" and findin it alot more difficult than we thought-partly because always seem to be on opposite shifts and also not really sure where to go.
Read about the Melbourne xmas meet-up but typically we we're on late shift so hope u all had great time.
Anyway if there's any fellow Brits out there who r new to Melbourne-or not- and can offer any pointers then wud luv to hear from you.

Jen
Hi Jen ... I live not far from you ...am a nurse, and been here 3 years - and love it. Seen loads, done loads - so if you fancy a natter over a coffee or whatever...give me a shout.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also a nurse in your area, although born and bred here, so I don't meet your criteria. Best of luck settling in!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help as not there but just wanted to say welcome to BE & wish you both well!
I'm sure there will be some more nice Melly peeps along soon!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:00 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

Jen
Jen have sent you a PM about xmas and do take up the coffee offer from Cas, she is lovely and will get you into the swing of things.

Does Russ play golf? like the gold coast and sunshine guys we hold monthly golf days - usually on a sunday and its loads of fun. And no we are not experts by any sense of the imagination.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Hi Jen ... I live not far from you ...am a nurse, and been here 3 years - and love it. Seen loads, done loads - so if you fancy a natter over a coffee or whatever...give me a shout.
Thanks- coffee or wotever sounds gud! i know you prob busy with xmas comin up but let me know when you're free over the next week or so+i'll check the dreaded rosta!...jen
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by augigi
I'm also a nurse in your area, although born and bred here, so I don't meet your criteria. Best of luck settling in!
Thanks for welcome...didn't mean to sound "specific"..born+bred's gud as is anyone from anywhere!!! maybe if you're not on shift when i manage to co-ordinate a coffee with others u cud come+i can b dually initiated!!!..jen
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Jen have sent you a PM about xmas and do take up the coffee offer from Cas, she is lovely and will get you into the swing of things.

Does Russ play golf? like the gold coast and sunshine guys we hold monthly golf days - usually on a sunday and its loads of fun. And no we are not experts by any sense of the imagination.
Can anyone come to the Golf? :-)
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:31 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
Can anyone come to the Golf? :-)
Any one except T Woods

Its not based on ability (otherwise I would be banned)
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

sally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nice

We moved to Melbourne in October and we can fully understand how you are feeling. Happy to meet for a coffee and chat
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:09 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there - another nurse here, but unfortunately on the wrong side of the planet just now.

Just saw your post & wanted to say "hi". I'm sorry you're feeling a bit left out of everything right now. I think you're right when you say you've been so busy up until now, when you stop to think about things, it all seems a bit much.

it's a shame you & OH haven't been able to spend much time together, especially since I'm guessing it was your joint "dream" to make a life together over there. You'll have to try & wangle some shift changes & definitely take up these offers of coffee & golf.

Keep the faith honey & very best of luck to you both
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:54 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks- coffee or wotever sounds gud! i know you prob busy with xmas comin up but let me know when you're free over the next week or so+i'll check the dreaded rosta!...jen
I'm going to be away for a few days... but will PM you when I get back.

Become an Agency nurse...much more flexible
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

steved is an unknown quantity at this point

Jen (and others),

Emma (26) and I (32) moved to Melbourne at the end of Oct and we feel the same way. We are both teachers and start work in a couple of weeks, and so maybe things will get easier when we meet some colleagues.

We are renting a flat near the city and, although our neighbours are very nice, they keep themselves to themselves. We tried inviting them round for a drink, but it never really happened.

Like you, Jen, we have done some touristy things and got to know our area. But with all family and friends back in the UK, sometimes you just crave some friendly, easy-going company beyond each other. And Christmas is particularly difficult for this reason.

Things will get easier with time, I'm absolutely sure. In the meantime, if you want a drink, drop me a line...

Steve (& Emma).