New mattress

Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default New mattress

Thinking of a new mattress and wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Was looking at the 'Ergo Flex' which has had rave reviews, but my only concern is that it might be a bit warm for Perth summers.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New mattress

Was just thinking the same thing myself and will be really interested in the answers!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

i never thought that in life I would be on a forum enthusing about a mattress, but I'm about to find myself in that situation. I'll come to terms with it in my own time but in the meantime:

I would 100% recommend the A.H.Beard Flexgel mattress. I bought a queen size one about 3 years ago and to this day its the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in - and I once stayed at The Ritz, I'll have you know.

I believe its this one:
http://www.ahbeard.com.au/product/flexgel.aspx

If not that one, then just check out AH Beard's range. There were some uber-mattresses there. I think it cost around 3500 at the time, but has been absolutely worth it.

Indeed if I think about moving home, one of the first things that crops up is the logistics of getting my mattress back...and what happens if it gets sea water on it, or fish, then panic sets in!

We got it from somewhere in Crows Nest in North Sydney.

The only one weird downside to it was for about a week after getting it and unwrapping the factory wrapping, it smelled a bit like almonds.

Last edited by In Exile; Aug 10th 2011 at 11:44 pm. Reason: pre-coffee spelling
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

We were both sleeping badly and waking up feeling terrible on our fairly new, too firm, mattress. We decided to try out a latex mattress topper and it felt great, so we bought one for us and for the kids, too. It has made a huge difference to comfort - only bought it in about May, though, so it will be interesting to see what happens in hot weather.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Thinking of a new mattress and wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Was looking at the 'Ergo Flex' which has had rave reviews, but my only concern is that it might be a bit warm for Perth summers.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
We have a latex, memory foam mattress that we brought from the UK and it's great (made in Italy, cost a lot, weighs a ton).

Have noticed no difference in comfort in summer.

Last edited by Amazulu; Aug 11th 2011 at 2:56 am.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
i never thought that in life I would be on a forum enthusing about a mattress, but I'm about to find myself in that situation. I'll come to terms with it in my own time but in the meantime:

I would 100% recommend the A.H.Beard Flexgel mattress. I bought a queen size one about 3 years ago and to this day its the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in - and I once stayed at The Ritz, I'll have you know.

I believe its this one:
http://www.ahbeard.com.au/product/flexgel.aspx

If not that one, then just check out AH Beard's range. There were some uber-mattresses there. I think it cost around 3500 at the time, but has been absolutely worth it.

Indeed if I think about moving home, one of the first things that crops up is the logistics of getting my mattress back...and what happens if it gets sea water on it, or fish, then panic sets in!

We got it from somewhere in Crows Nest in North Sydney.

The only one weird downside to it was for about a week after getting it and unwrapping the factory wrapping, it smelled a bit like almonds.
That'll be as a result of cyanide off-gassing . . . it's a by-product of the gel / foam making process. Not entirely harmless but, hey, you're still here to tell the tale, so it's 'all good'.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:12 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The cursor was hiding 2 letters and I thought it said mistress, sorry.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
We were both sleeping badly and waking up feeling terrible on our fairly new, too firm, mattress. We decided to try out a latex mattress topper and it felt great, so we bought one for us and for the kids, too. It has made a huge difference to comfort - only bought it in about May, though, so it will be interesting to see what happens in hot weather.
Can I ask where you got it and roughly the cost.Thanks Helen.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie

Thoughts?

Cheers!
A while ago we bought a "King Koil Perfect Contour Ultra Plush Queen Ensemble", cost $1,849... reduced from $3,700 I think. It is a fantastic bed.

We also loved the Flexgel enchanted. In fact we felt it was more comfortable than the kingkoil that we bought... but only marginally so. We didn't think the extra bit of comfort was worth the extra $$$. I can't remember the retail price, I think it was $4,200. Whilst we were in store, another couple got one for $3,400 after haggling.

ps - obviously $3k+ is a fair sum of money. But these beds are as good as they come.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
cyanide off-gassing
what the ****ing shit!!??

cyanide?

shouldn't they either have some kind of 'you must air this out for 1 week' wanring, or do it themselves?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

what the ****ing shit!!??

cyanide?

shouldn't they either have some kind of 'you must air this out for 1 week' wanring, or do it themselves?
Calm down, I was only kidding.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Calm down, I was only kidding.
why you!

i was googling it and everything
Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

why you!

i was googling it and everything
I expect you weren't the only one . . . . . . although cyanide does smell of almonds.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

I expect you weren't the only one . . . . . . although cyanide does smell of almonds.
which was why it seemed so believable. lol!

In my head i'd alreay established the process: Mr and Mrs AH Beard make the mattress and then, in order to kill whatever managed to crawl into it during the creation process (probably mites, lice, huge bed bugs on crack etc) they simply gas the whole thing and then quickly seal it up, leaving everything to be gassed and die within this tightly sealed package.

I was almost convinced that AH Beard was basically delivering an insect and bug charnel-house with some residual cyanide.

If I knew that I would have definitely haggled them down a bit more
Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

which was why it seemed so believable. lol!

In my head i'd alreay established the process: Mr and Mrs AH Beard make the mattress and then, in order to kill whatever managed to crawl into it during the creation process (probably mites, lice, huge bed bugs on crack etc) they simply gas the whole thing and then quickly seal it up, leaving everything to be gassed and die within this tightly sealed package.

I was almost convinced that AH Beard was basically delivering an insect and bug charnel-house with some residual cyanide.

If I knew that I would have definitely haggled them down a bit more
. . . you've an overactive imagination and I like it!

The AH Beard 'Flexgel' . . . the 'Ford Pinto' of the matress world (look it up on google).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.