New adventure ?

Old Nov 18th 2021, 9:36 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventure ?

Originally Posted by Brisbannite
Yes, that would quickly get old, my preference would be to drive to the station and then train it the rest of the way. May be possible to drive the whole distance if doing shift work and traveling outside of rush-hours but I wouldn't want to do it during crappy weather or at night.
Redcliffe might better then. Sandgate area is close to the bay/water but no real beach, great for the kayak or sailing or kite boarding.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Redcliffe might better then. Sandgate area is close to the bay/water but no real beach, great for the kayak or sailing or kite boarding.
True. There's also the Gold Coast. Coomera Waters, Reedy Creek, Robina used to be quite good but haven't been down that way for a while though, may've changed.

But, as with most popular train routes into Brisbane, it pays to be at the start of the line rather than mid-way as the trains (pre-covid used to) get crowded and standing all the way isn't fun.

There's a big thing now in SEQ called the 20 min neighbourhood, if I was the OP I'd be looking for work outside of Brisbane.

Last edited by Brisbannite; Nov 18th 2021 at 7:34 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

You're not going to get to the CBD in 45 mins, I just checked on google maps and it can be up to 2 hours in peak hour traffic. The gateway motorway is often a car park if you have to travel in peak times.
Yeah, and "peak times" are not limited to the M-F morning and afternoon peaks. The Bruce Highway/M1 is also a huge traffic bottleneck every weekend, for extended periods of time, as it represents the only effective highway route between Greater Brisbane and its northern playgrounds, i.e. the Sunshine Coast and beyond.

Bottom line, Bribie Island is nowhere near a "commutable" option for someone tied to employment in Brisbane, unless that means--always possible post-CoVid--that the need to show up physically is only occasional, and/or that the travel will take place in off-peak hours.
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 9:34 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Bottom line, Bribie Island is nowhere near a "commutable" option for someone tied to employment in Brisbane, unless that means--always possible post-CoVid--that the need to show up physically is only occasional, and/or that the travel will take place in off-peak hours.
I guess it comes down to picking 2 of the following three
Affordable,Close to Work/CBD ,Decent property
Old Nov 24th 2021, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it comes down to picking 2 of the following three
Affordable,Close to Work/CBD ,Decent property
True, but Bribie wouldn't be my first choice of location for any of those. Everyone's mileage varies though.

There were some weird goings on in that area a few years ago with the pollies; and more recently the locals wanted to pull up the drawbridge in March last year when coronavirus started (even though they already had cases on the island, one of them in an over 50s resort) with the median age of around 60 one can appreciate their concern.