Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Just for the record - I use PrivateInternetAccess.com. Can connect up to 5 devices and they have servers pretty much everywhere. $39.95/year = $3.33/month. That'll be USD though I think not AUD. Still excellent pricing. Is the Unblock-us pricing USD or AUD? Just worth clarifying.
US$4.99.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Laxor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beoz
Unfortunately they hold the keys to sport. Sooner or later Neflix and co will wake up and outbid for sport.
Im a bit biased as I work in the industry however the leap from buying content to producing sport is a big one. It takes a lot of money and technology.

I know Stan and Netflix have produced things but believe sport is a fair way off.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 2:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Oh ye of little faith! The season (sorry "GREAT ESCAPE " ) begins tomorrow against Boro !
Or not.......................
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laxor
Im a bit biased as I work in the industry however the leap from buying content to producing sport is a big one. It takes a lot of money and technology.

I know Stan and Netflix have produced things but believe sport is a fair way off.
Netflix will become the largest content provider in the world. They are creating massive amounts of TV and movies. A move into sport is inevitable and they will probably come to dominate it too

I see that Amazon is going to screen live NFL in the US

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 27th 2017 at 3:14 am.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:02 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laxor

Personally I expect sport to be one of those area where the clubs and sport governing bodies themselves cut out the middle man and sell direct. They might sub out the technical aspects, but there's quite a lot to be said for them having control.

Mind, sport (and news) are one of the few areas where broadcast makes sense. There are few reasons to sent out individually to each viewer something that happens in real time.

And what will prompt that change is that the groups that have been paying silly money for sports (eg Sky, Foxtel) are going to progressive find it difficult to find subscribers prepared to pay their silly money subs. As the bids fall back, the desire to DIY will come to the fore.

I doubt the Netflix / Stan entities will bid in, except to provide technical know how. Who wants to make the same mistakes Murdoch made?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Personally I expect sport to be one of those area where the clubs and sport governing bodies themselves cut out the middle man and sell direct. They might sub out the technical aspects, but there's quite a lot to be said for them having control.

Mind, sport (and news) are one of the few areas where broadcast makes sense. There are few reasons to sent out individually to each viewer something that happens in real time.

And what will prompt that change is that the groups that have been paying silly money for sports (eg Sky, Foxtel) are going to progressive find it difficult to find subscribers prepared to pay their silly money subs. As the bids fall back, the desire to DIY will come to the fore.

I doubt the Netflix / Stan entities will bid in, except to provide technical know how. Who wants to make the same mistakes Murdoch made?
And which mistakes might that be? Getting beaten by Kerry Packer for the Aussie cricket rights might be one, but then again that's small fry.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
And which mistakes might that be? Getting beaten by Kerry Packer for the Aussie cricket rights might be one, but then again that's small fry.
He considered, rightly, that sports would be a draw for his satellite channels, to get people installing and paying subs - so he bid high to knock out PSB. However, other's took note and he ended up in a Red Queen race of bids that rose beyond any sensible level, so that others couldn't do to him what he did to others.

That in turn means his sub prices went way up, leaving space for the likes of Netflix to come in with a more reasonably priced offering, and with a focus on the global market (with most sports being local in one way or another).

The bidding war game is something that Netflix fairly consciously opted out of on movies - since it would have the same problem, and also leave them beholden to Hollywood for their content (and thus also at their mercy).
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
He considered, rightly, that sports would be a draw for his satellite channels, to get people installing and paying subs - so he bid high to knock out PSB. However, other's took note and he ended up in a Red Queen race of bids that rose beyond any sensible level, so that others couldn't do to him what he did to others.

That in turn means his sub prices went way up, leaving space for the likes of Netflix to come in with a more reasonably priced offering, and with a focus on the global market (with most sports being local in one way or another).

The bidding war game is something that Netflix fairly consciously opted out of on movies - since it would have the same problem, and also leave them beholden to Hollywood for their content (and thus also at their mercy).
I don't think its that complex. Murdoch does the sports, live, ad break, business model. He knows it sells and it sells well. Like Netflix, who know how to do TV shows and Movies ad free, Murdoch knows sport. Do what you do best.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Or not.......................
Does ya know what channel second grade football is on ? Aaaaaagggggghhhh !
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Have used IB VPN for the last 5 months with no problem.
I only use the standard vpn which is US$36.95 pa but only paid half as they often run offers.
It's very, very easy to use.
They also offer DNS and Proxy services.

https://www.ibvpn.com
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Have used IB VPN for the last 5 months with no problem.
I only use the standard vpn which is US$36.95 pa but only paid half as they often run offers.
It's very, very easy to use.
They also offer DNS and Proxy services.

https://www.ibvpn.com
Is there a limit on number of devices you can use it on mate ?Currently have 4 devices on the one i use but i am pretty sure that is the limit allowed so looking at 5 + really

Last edited by bobbyftm; Apr 27th 2017 at 9:36 am.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a limit on number of devices you can use it on mate ?Currently have 4 devices on the one i use but i am pretty sure that is the limit allowed so looking at 5 + really
My limit is one on the standard package but have the app installed on 3 devices.

But isn't the limit referring to simultaneous use?

So you could have the app on 15 devices but only stream up to 4 at once?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Does ya know what channel second grade football is on ? Aaaaaagggggghhhh !

EFL Kodi League Championship + Other Football Streams
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
My limit is one on the standard package but have the app installed on 3 devices.

But isn't the limit referring to simultaneous use?

So you could have the app on 15 devices but only stream up to 4 at once?
Shall have a closer looksy mate at t & c's thanx
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But that is not even remotely funny

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 27th 2017 at 12:47 pm. Reason: Fixed quote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.