British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Netflix, Stan or Kodi? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/netflix-stan-kodi-895094/)

cresta57 Apr 7th 2017 7:21 am

Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Can someone explain the ins & outs of these newfangled T.V gizmos. Without getting to technical. Now we've finally got decent broadband I'm looking at options. Some of the young lads down the local reckon the first two are O.K but watch all their shows ad free via Kodi.
I did a bit of a google search and am even more confused as it looks like it might be illegal to purchase these "loaded" Kodi boxes as they can be used to view ppv t.v for free. Can I legally buy one and use it to download T.V shows.

GarryP Apr 7th 2017 7:43 am

Re: Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 12223549)
Can someone explain the ins & outs of these newfangled T.V gizmos. Without getting to technical. Now we've finally got decent broadband I'm looking at options. Some of the young lads down the local reckon the first two are O.K but watch all their shows ad free via Kodi.
I did a bit of a google search and am even more confused as it looks like it might be illegal to purchase these "loaded" Kodi boxes as they can be used to view ppv t.v for free. Can I legally buy one and use it to download T.V shows.

• Netflix. American based streaming service that gets delivered via a variety of smart TV apps, dongles, boxes etc. and focuses on it's own original content, TV series bought in, and a few movies.
  • Stan. Australian attempt at similar. Less original content.
  • Kodi. Not a streaming content service, but rather a media device for showing content. Software is free, you run in on the hardware you want. Not illegal in it's own right, but allows you to install apps that allow you to access illegal sources and get the Murdoch rags all worked up (I wonder why...). The 'loaded' is where someone else has installed those apps for you.
There are other streaming services around, and other devices too.

In general I'd suggest there are other questions to answer
  1. how much do you want to pay?
  2. what do you usually watch?
  3. 4K important?
Best bet is to have a piece of hardware that can deliver multiple different content streams, so you can pick and choose which ones you want to use. In general Kodi will run on lots of different hardware, but the closer it is to a big player, the less likely they will allow it. One of the reasons the Amazon Fire TV stick is so liked is that you can access Amazon streaming content AND run Kodi. Many people end up with more than one box, but generally they are not expensive (<$50).

Take a look at https://www.justwatch.com/au and search around for the kind of thing you might want to watch, see who does it.

Oh, and we haven't even touched on VPNs...

Amazulu Apr 7th 2017 8:10 am

If you want an off the shelf all in one kodi solution, get this:
( Official International Version ) Original Xiaomi Mi TV Box-83.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

The best solution is an Nvidia Shield TV but it costs more and has to be imported from the US

Install the Schism build on it. Get it here:
SchisM TV Official Website

Inside that there is an app called Exodus which, seriously, has everything you would ever want to watch

You can stream sports but it's a bit hit and miss - one area where the mainstream media outlets still have the edge

You can install Netflix on the above box

Personally, I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime as they are affordable and they need to be supported as they are breaking the traditional stranglehold that legacy media companies have had. I still download torrents sometimes though

You may be able to install BBC iplayer and the other UK services on the Xiaomi box but will need to mess around with DNS settings

Do some research on DNS redirecting (tons of stuff online) and for a small monthly fee you can have US Netflix and Amazon and UK channels

There's another thread in the Barbie dedicated to streaming. I'm into this shit so ask if you need any help

Have fun

Beoz Apr 7th 2017 10:32 am

I use Stan. It gets stuff that's available on Netflix US but not available on Netflix Oz. Joys of the free market.

I cannot compare to Oz Netflix as I don't have it but it does me for 10 bucks or so a month.

Currently watching Ray Donovan. Its good stuff.

Read up on this and see which option is the most appealing.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/netflix-vs-presto-vs-stan-vs-quickflix-1283055

cresta57 Apr 7th 2017 11:49 am

Thanks fellas:thumbsup:
We have a Sony Ultra HD T.V with internet capabilities and netflix button on the remote. I hooked it up to the net last week but haven't progressed further as I had been asking around about options.
We don't tend to watch a lot of T.V but I do enjoy some of the U.K/U.S dramas and comedies. The ads are bloody infuriating on the mainstream channels up to 30 mins of ads while watching a movie.
I'll be ordering the Xiaomi I reckon, cheers Zulu;)

GarryP Apr 7th 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 12223672)
Thanks fellas:thumbsup:
We have a Sony Ultra HD T.V with internet capabilities and netflix button on the remote. I hooked it up to the net last week but haven't progressed further as I had been asking around about options.
We don't tend to watch a lot of T.V but I do enjoy some of the U.K/U.S dramas and comedies. The ads are bloody infuriating on the mainstream channels up to 30 mins of ads while watching a movie.
I'll be ordering the Xiaomi I reckon, cheers Zulu;)

Suggest trialing Netflix then (1 month free, easy to do) and you probably also have Stan as an option too so that you can trial that too. The reason I mentioned 4K before is that only some devices can run 4K streams, and provided it's new enough your TV should handle that (if your network connection can). BTW, you can just buy cards for Netflix in the supermarket, you don't have to hand over your credit card details.

IIRC many of the Sony TVs actually run Android TV (you''ll have to check with yours). If so, you can run Kodi on it, and the Xiaomi box is going to be pointless, since you already have everything it will do (it runs Android TV).

I think I'd probably be looking at a VPN and another box to talk directly to the UK, so you can access iPlayer, etc. - something cheap.

cresta57 Apr 7th 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12223684)
Suggest trialing Netflix then (1 month free, easy to do) and you probably also have Stan as an option too so that you can trial that too. The reason I mentioned 4K before is that only some devices can run 4K streams, and provided it's new enough your TV should handle that (if your network connection can). BTW, you can just buy cards for Netflix in the supermarket, you don't have to hand over your credit card details.

IIRC many of the Sony TVs actually run Android TV (you''ll have to check with yours). If so, you can run Kodi on it, and the Xiaomi box is going to be pointless, since you already have everything it will do (it runs Android TV).

I think I'd probably be looking at a VPN and another box to talk directly to the UK, so you can access iPlayer, etc. - something cheap.

Yeah the specs mentioned both 4K and Android T.V The sales guy reckoned the newer model was better than the previous 3D version. KD-49X8300C : X83 Series - 4K TV : BRAVIA TV (LED / LCD / FULL HD) : Sony Australia
No ideas on what the NBN connection is capable of as it's a fixed wireless setup.

GarryP Apr 7th 2017 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 12223697)
Yeah the specs mentioned both 4K and Android T.V The sales guy reckoned the newer model was better than the previous 3D version. KD-49X8300C : X83 Series - 4K TV : BRAVIA TV (LED / LCD / FULL HD) : Sony Australia
No ideas on what the NBN connection is capable of as it's a fixed wireless setup.

OK, well in that case I'd hold off any hardware for the moment, you should be able to just use the TV.

The Netflix app is built in, and signing up for a trial takes virtually no effort. You'll find enough to keep you busy there for a while. Personally I'd say "Black Mirror" and "The Crown" are a good starting point, together with the comedy specials.

Android TV also includes Google Chromecast, so you can use your phone to send content to the TV, etc. - like a normal chromecast.

Installing Kodi can be seen at
but you probably need to understand why you'd want it first.

Didn't mention it before, but you might also at some point want to explore DLNA/Plex and having content stored on a home server box (kinda like a video jukebox).

However, Netflix trial first I'd suggest.

cresta57 Apr 8th 2017 12:56 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12223706)
OK, well in that case I'd hold off any hardware for the moment, you should be able to just use the TV.

The Netflix app is built in, and signing up for a trial takes virtually no effort. You'll find enough to keep you busy there for a while. Personally I'd say "Black Mirror" and "The Crown" are a good starting point, together with the comedy specials.

Android TV also includes Google Chromecast, so you can use your phone to send content to the TV, etc. - like a normal chromecast.

Installing Kodi can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiWDAKqYW8 but you probably need to understand why you'd want it first.

Didn't mention it before, but you might also at some point want to explore DLNA/Plex and having content stored on a home server box (kinda like a video jukebox).

However, Netflix trial first I'd suggest.

Signed up for Netflix and installed Kodi Krypton from google play I need a tech savvy small child to sort the rest lol.

Amazulu Apr 8th 2017 2:39 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 12224186)
Signed up for Netflix and installed Kodi Krypton from google play I need a tech savvy small child to sort the rest lol.

I personally find the streaming capabilities of smart TVs - especially mainstream brands like Sony - to be not that good. A dedicated media box or PC is always a better option IMO

Anyway, get stuck into Exodus. When it works properly (which is not always the case) you will have more than you could ever possibly watch

Enjoy!

Beoz Apr 8th 2017 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12224225)
I personally find the streaming capabilities of smart TVs - especially mainstream brands like Sony - to be not that good. A dedicated media box or PC is always a better option IMO

Anyway, get stuck into Exodus. When it works properly (which is not always the case) you will have more than you could ever possibly watch

Enjoy!

Why is that? I find the streaming capabilities on my Samsung for both Stan, Youtube and Foxtel to be top notch.

cresta57 Apr 8th 2017 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12224225)

Enjoy!

So far all good watched Hacksaw Ridge this afternoon and the kids watched Beauty & The Beast before that. No noticeable glitches as yet.

Amazulu Apr 8th 2017 9:31 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 12224294)
So far all good watched Hacksaw Ridge this afternoon and the kids watched Beauty & The Beast before that. No noticeable glitches as yet.

Cool. You've joined the cord-cutting club - and now that you've experienced it there is no going back to the status quo of 7, 9, 10 and Foxtel!

Beoz Apr 8th 2017 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12224353)
Cool. You've joined the cord-cutting club - and now that you've experienced it there is no going back to the status quo of 7, 9, 10 and Foxtel!

Unfortunately they hold the keys to sport. Sooner or later Neflix and co will wake up and outbid for sport.

Lucas_Dad Apr 8th 2017 10:15 pm

Just my 2p/2c worth:

I LOVE Kodi. I have a Raspberry Pi box (super cheap) connected to my TV, using an operating system called LibreElec (which is free).

I have a subscription to a VPN service called PrivateInternetAccess (pretty cheap, very reliable, secure, no logging). This makes the Kodi look like it is in the UK. I can watch live UK TV simple dimple. PIA have servers all over the world, and allow me to connect up to 5 devices. This is great in Aus too - use the VPN to connect to Sydney on my phone, that makes public wifi instantly more secure. Want to watch USA TV? Connect your VPN to USA. Easy. I have it on my Pi box, my mac, my PC, my tablet, my phone.

I have a £10/month subscription to a website FilmOn.TV which gives me most UK free-to-air channels and 11 hours of recording space. (Sadly not channel Dave, annoyingly, as I am a Dave Gorman fan and enjoy 'Modern Life is Goodish'). If all you want to do is watch TV, then don't pay a subscription - that's only necessary for recording. All this means for example that I got to watch (and record) Stargazing Live both in the UK and Australia last week :) #geek

If you add the right ad-on into Firefox browser (Videodownload Helper) you can even download your recorded TV to watch whenever you want. It is a bit of a faff, but on the rare occasion I need to download, it works fine. FilmOn used to have a download button - they took it away unsurprisingly due to copyright concerns.

I have a free media server called Serviio on the mac (PC version too) which allows me to 'serve' my downloaded media, music, etc and stream it to any device in the house. (Pay a cheap $25 (I think) and you can use Serviigo app - which allows you to watch your serviio media anywhere in the world, if you know how to set up your router accordingly) #doublegeek

Personally do not use netlix, stan or similar.