Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

While I'm a fan of Serviio (just because that's all I've tried), my brother back home uses Plex and loves it.

Having a VPN is just a good idea in general. I use mine for UK TV predominantly, but if you want to save mobile data for example by connecting to a public network (Library, Bunnings, whatever) switch on the VPN. Never know who is sitting on those networks scanning for goodies..

If a website requires an email address just for you to access some kind of something - the kind of website you know you'll never go back to - I use a @mailinator.com address, and a completely fake name, fake personal details. Just make one up. I dunno. [email protected] (not one I use!) - then go to mailinator.com and ask it to show you emails for plonkerpoo. Just be aware that all emails here are available for everyone to see - hence be sure to give the website enough fake info to let you in, but nothing to personally identify you. Handy website that has its place.

I sometimes use @mailinator.com for aussie TV catchup sites that demand a login. I don't want them spamming me, so they can spam 'fake me' at an address I never check and don't care about instead. Maybe you check it once for that 'verify your email' email. That's it.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:19 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone here still able to acces U.S Netflix?
I used to be able to by using a VPN but about a year ago it recognised I was using a VPN and I haven't been able to access it since then.

Also, can someone explain the Kodi box a bit more? What does it have on it? I am useless with stuff like this unless it's explained in simpleton terms
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

I tried typing a reply. But there is so much potential to Kodi I was getting more and more and more into waffle waffle waffle mode. I'm sure others here will do a better job than me at explaining better.

In the meantime, here's the wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Also, can someone explain the Kodi box a bit more? What does it have on it? I am useless with stuff like this unless it's explained in simpleton terms
Kodi itself is just media player software. It used to be called xbmc - Xbox Media Centre - which shows where it started out, as a media player app on the original xbox.

The point however is it's designed to take plugins to extend the scope and flexibility of software, and in common with software from before apple popularised the idea of everything having to go via their app store - those plugins can come from anywhere, you just have to point the software at where its stored.

Which then means lots of people who are less than impressed by how big media locks down content and makes you pay through the nose used the plugins to access various sources of, lets say less than legal content.

Thus 'fully loaded' boxes are where someone else has done the hard work of installing these plugins and setting things up so that you can just click on a source of some shady content and stream it to your TV. Since kodi runs on just about anything, they can easily get the hardware platform sorted.

Cue howls of rage by big media, and dodgy stories in the Daily Mail clutching pearls (and wodges of cash) for selling a line on how it should be banned.

Kodi itself doesn't cost money, and doesn't do anything illegal. The hardware is usually very cheap too. The plugins are also generally free, if not necessarily always legal - but like anything chancers come along to make a quick buck by selling these 'fully loaded' kodi boxes. It's not something that the noob should really get into, since you can find yourself downloading something illegally - and thus turning up on Mr Brandis's spying network.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 4:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be able to by using a VPN but about a year ago it recognised I was using a VPN and I haven't been able to access it since then.
I have no problem accessing any Netflix using our VPN
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yeah shocking the amount of stuff available on there Another couple of question if you'll indulge me:
Regarding VPN's Are they legal? Will masking my I.P address stop all the websites that currently spam me with emails whenever I look at something? i.e I google a Kodi box and ebay email me asking if I want to buy one then ads appear on FB advertising them.
I've been using one called hotspot shield for a year or 2 now mate (not sure how good these gurus on here would rate it mind you ),costs about $30 /yr for elite which i'm sure you can run on 4 different sources . Anyhows logged into Aus Fox Go with it whilst over in England to watch Broncos play via Fox sports no problems whatsoever.
Good of to you to start this thread as i ordered a kodi box a couple of weeks ago so you will be well into it on your next visit and my installation should be a breeze for you ....or Deb Also got a very sexy sports website for Android phones from a mate over there which accesses more Sports channels eg sky 1,2,3,4,5 etc ,etc than you could shake a stick at running off tinternet. Tried it here and works a treat using same vpn That's my English sporting fetish sorted just need to find free access to Fox sports now
Old Apr 25th 2017, 2:17 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
I've been using one called hotspot shield for a year or 2 now mate (not sure how good these gurus on here would rate it mind you ),costs about $30 /yr for elite which i'm sure you can run on 4 different sources . Anyhows logged into Aus Fox Go with it whilst over in England to watch Broncos play via Fox sports no problems whatsoever.
Good of to you to start this thread as i ordered a kodi box a couple of weeks ago so you will be well into it on your next visit and my installation should be a breeze for you ....or Deb Also got a very sexy sports website for Android phones from a mate over there which accesses more Sports channels eg sky 1,2,3,4,5 etc ,etc than you could shake a stick at running off tinternet. Tried it here and works a treat using same vpn That's my English sporting fetish sorted just need to find free access to Fox sports now
Nice one, does the sports website show second level league games?.......................So you can watch Sunderland next season
Old Apr 25th 2017, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Nice one, does the sports website show second level league games?.......................So you can watch Sunderland next season
Oh ye of little faith! The season (sorry "GREAT ESCAPE " ) begins tomorrow against Boro !
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kapri,

I recently bought something similar to this, oddly my model has disappeared of Amazon today, was there this morning.

https://www.amazon.ca/Leelbox-Androi...ywords=leelbox

Had not really used Kodi before, so spent a bit of time looking at you tube videos. One that I found that was using, surprisingly simple but ran into some issues with some of the steps he showed as it would not find the servers, so a little trial and error and a few reboots of the media box and up and running.

I was blown away by how much content from all over the world is available., even found Netflix on it.

Some channels still buffer, some of them not working but all in all WOW, the picture quality is amazing. The latest films also.

Also with Kodi, you could setup a VPN service for yourself to hide all the traffic from your ISP.

Last edited by evets; Apr 25th 2017 at 10:49 pm. Reason: More content.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Getting US Netflix is becoming a PITA. I don't like using a VPN due to the loss of speed and the hassle and prefer to use a DNS redirect. I'm currently using the DNS redirect provided by ExpressVPN and it works well. The only problem is it only works for US-based streaming services, so no BBC iplayer. For UK streaming I'm using a free trial of Unotelly DNS and it's working okay-ish. I can get the BBC, C4 and C5 but not ITV Hub (no great loss really as they generally broadcast shite and the ads are terrible). I used to change DNS settings on my router but now have to do this on individual devices - some for the US, others for the UK

If anyone else has any recommendations for DNS or VPN services, post then here
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I have no problem accessing any Netflix using our VPN
Who are you using?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 12:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Who are you using?
Unblock-us. Every now and then Netflix says 'oops it appears your in the wrong country' but I go to Unblock and it automatically tells me to click on the 'your internet addy has changed' button and it all works again. $5 a month seems reasonable as long as they keep finding their way around Netflix's updates.

The only downside is that for some reason having Unblock enabled stops me from accessing Amazon US and a couple of other sites but it's just a click to disable it so not a major problem. It just took a while to isolate the problem but the guys in The Lab sorted me out.

Tried it here and works a treat using same vpn That's my English sporting fetish sorted just need to find free access to Fox sports now
My daughter's heading to the UK for a few months, if she takes the log in codes for our VPN will she be able to access everything she can here? It never occurred to me that this would work. That would be great for her.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 26th 2017 at 12:52 am.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Unblock-us. Every now and then Netflix says 'oops it appears your in the wrong country' but I go to Unblock and it automatically tells me to click on the 'your internet addy has changed' button and it all works again. $5 a month seems reasonable as long as they keep finding their way around Netflix's updates.

The only downside is that for some reason having Unblock enabled stops me from accessing Amazon US and a couple of other sites but it's just a click to disable it so not a major problem. It just took a while to isolate the problem but the guys in The Lab sorted me out.

My daughter's heading to the UK for a few months, if she takes the log in codes for our VPN will she be able to access everything she can here? It never occurred to me that this would work. That would be great for her.
Can't see why not Mp,i accessed Foxtel Go on both I pad and Android phone whilst over there using a vpn so i could watch some Aussie sports no problems
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Just for the record - I use PrivateInternetAccess.com. Can connect up to 5 devices and they have servers pretty much everywhere. $39.95/year = $3.33/month. That'll be USD though I think not AUD. Still excellent pricing. Is the Unblock-us pricing USD or AUD? Just worth clarifying.

Last edited by Lucas_Dad; Apr 26th 2017 at 9:01 am.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ye of little faith! The season (sorry "GREAT ESCAPE " ) begins tomorrow against Boro !
for ya lol At least you'll be able to play Newcastle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.