Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Neighbour Rant - Christmas Day accident

Neighbour Rant - Christmas Day accident

Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neighbour Rant - Christmas Day accident

Originally Posted by eddie007
Do you need "odd" and aggressive people in yournlife? or do you need to move on? (figuratively not literally)
I think they should try and find peace with their neighbour as they live next door and they might have a use for friendly neighbours. But, I wouldnt recommend crawling to their doorstep with flowers.

Australians, in my opinion, are friendly and helpful along with being a bit hot tempered sometimes. Your way back in might be through your OH and the neighbours husband. Women hold grudges better than dams hold water. No offence
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think they should try and find peace with their neighbour as they live next door and they might have a use for friendly neighbours. But, I wouldnt recommend crawling to their doorstep with flowers.

Australians, in my opinion, are friendly and helpful along with being a bit hot tempered sometimes. Your way back in might be through your OH and the neighbours husband. Women hold grudges better than dams hold water. No offence

Ha ha, true. I'm not one to hold a grudge myself as I prefer to forget. Oh, I don't know what to do now. My neighbour isn't Australian, she is Eastern European.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molko1974
Ha ha, true. I'm not one to hold a grudge myself as I prefer to forget. Oh, I don't know what to do now. My neighbour isn't Australian, she is Eastern European.
Even worse!

Totally unoffended bybthe women bearing a grudge comment....

Notice that with kids...

Boys... Argue, fisticuffs, best friends

Girls... Argue, silence, bitching to anyone who will listen ....and then all of a sudden one will rock up at the others funeral aged 90 and spit on the grave...
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Girls... Argue, silence, bitching to anyone who will listen ....and then all of a sudden one will rock up at the others funeral aged 90 and spit on the grave...
Happens every week
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

If I do buy flowers then I would take them in person but I do feel like they would hold a grudge against us as they are very odd people anyway.

I know we did wrong but I don't want a rift between us and want to try and make it right. They are angry with us for not knocking the day after.
I sometimes find that people are like a soap operas. Never happy unless they're having an argument or a grudge to bitch to other people about. It's like it is a hobby as they've nothing better in their lives to focus on!

As others have said, you could sent a token gesture flowers, chocs, but sometimes people like that are too stubborn to accept the gesture sincerely - kind of like they were admitting they were wrong to be behaving so pathetically, then use that as a reason to carry on the feud (twisted, huh).

If they don't want to speak, maybe try a to-the-point note without being rude perhaps "look I've said you were right, I've apologised, I can do no more. Shake & make up?". If they want to ignore you or avoid you, oh well. I agree with the 'carry on' advice - just be normal with them, give them no reason to bitch about you. NYE might be a shake & make up opportunity - just pop over & wish them happy new year?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

I’m having a rant about our neighbour and was just wondering what you would have done or your thoughts.

Basically what happened on Christmas Day was that my cousin was trying to Parallel Park between two cars and instead of putting her car into drive she reversed and hit the neighbour’s car. The neighbour was sitting in her car in the middle of the road and my cousin said that before she was trying to reverse the neighbour was shouting something at her out of her driver’s window. I also believe our neighbour was being quite aggressive and was close to her not letting her park which could be true as my cousin was trying to park in front of the neighbours Ute. Also when you think about it when you park between two cars you normally line up beside the first car to reverse in so how close was my neighbour to my cousin’s car?

Anyway, we didn’t go outside after it happened as my neighbour had driven off and thought it had nothing to do with us as we weren’t the ones who hit her car. No damage was done but my neighbours did threaten to call the police at the time. We didn’t want a big fight in the street as my neighbour can be quite aggressive and my cousin also.

We noticed that since the accident our neighbours have been ignoring us so my husband asked what was wrong. They said that we had missed our chance as we didn’t knock the following day with regards to the accident as my cousin was our guest. Maybe we should have knocked but my husband told them we felt embarrassed and that we weren’t the ones that hit their car so thought best to stay out of it especially as no damage was done anyway. They started carrying on about how they have witnesses but yet when we asked our neighbour for her version of what happened she wouldn’t tell us. I think this is because she was also in the wrong and being aggressive but we don’t want to bring it up.

So anyway, do you think they are just being a bit childish by refusing to talk to us about something that we didn’t even do? I’m so annoyed with my cousin but it was an accident, no damage was done. To be told we had missed our chance and my husband wouldn’t have even mentioned anything if it wasn’t for the fact they were blatantly ignoring us. If it was me, after the chat they had with my husband I would have said ok, let’s forget about it and move on but they aren’t. They don’t want to talk to us.
Personally I think you should have gone to apologize. Let the dust settle a bit and drop round a nice note with a present. If they still ignore you, there's not much else you can do, but they didn't sound like nice neighbours anyway, from what you say.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sammax
Personally I think you should have gone to apologize. Let the dust settle a bit and drop round a nice note with a present. If they still ignore you, there's not much else you can do, but they didn't sound like nice neighbours anyway, from what you say.

I have just been knocking at their door with flowers. They are in as the garage door is open and their car is there. I knocked a few times and tried ringing but they are not answering. She probably saw me coming up the drive.

I left them on their internal garage steps with a note in the end. I'm not spending all day knocking. I apologised for not knocking sooner and asked if we can move on. The way they are behaving I doubt it. I can't do any more.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

I have just been knocking at their door with flowers. They are in as the garage door is open and their car is there. I knocked a few times and tried ringing but they are not answering. She probably saw me coming up the drive.

I left them on their internal garage steps with a note in the end. I'm not spending all day knocking. I apologised for not knocking sooner and asked if we can move on. The way they are behaving I doubt it. I can't do any more.
I'll probably get told off for trespassing into their garage
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Default Update

I said in my note about moving on and just received a text from the neighbour thanking me for the lovely flowers and yes, to move on.

Thank you every one, a lesson learned from us.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll probably get told off for trespassing into their garage
Or have the rangers round, after being accused of dumping your garden waste on theirbproperty

Sorry... The text... She's telling you she wants you to move on!!!

Thats A thinly veiled request for you to sell up and leave
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Or have the rangers round, after being accused of dumping your garden waste on theirbproperty

Sorry... The text... She's telling you she wants you to move on!!!

Thats A thinly veiled request for you to sell up and leave

No sorry, she actually put, yes lets move on.

BUT I have since found out from my cousins mum as we told her about what happened, literally 5 minutes ago she sent a message to say there is $1000 worth of damage to their car and they have been fighting over the phone.

My cousin told us there was no damage, why lie! Now this is the first we are aware of this so do we say to the neighbours if there is anything we can do let us know as we didn't know this was going on? It gets worse.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do any more. The accident is between your cousin and neighbour now and I personally would try and stay out of it as you did not witness the bump or any damage that there may or may not have been. You still have to live there x
Old Dec 31st 2012, 2:23 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be inviting the cousin round again for a long time, that way you can avoid the situation becoming worse and in the meantime keep trying to repair the relationship. You live there and your cousin doesn't and if your cousin is prone to losing their temper then do you really want them in your property thus risking further inflammatory situations.