Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Neighbour Rant - Christmas Day accident

Neighbour Rant - Christmas Day accident

Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough
Default Neighbour Rant - Christmas Day accident

I’m having a rant about our neighbour and was just wondering what you would have done or your thoughts.

Basically what happened on Christmas Day was that my cousin was trying to Parallel Park between two cars and instead of putting her car into drive she reversed and hit the neighbour’s car. The neighbour was sitting in her car in the middle of the road and my cousin said that before she was trying to reverse the neighbour was shouting something at her out of her driver’s window. I also believe our neighbour was being quite aggressive and was close to her not letting her park which could be true as my cousin was trying to park in front of the neighbours Ute. Also when you think about it when you park between two cars you normally line up beside the first car to reverse in so how close was my neighbour to my cousin’s car?

Anyway, we didn’t go outside after it happened as my neighbour had driven off and thought it had nothing to do with us as we weren’t the ones who hit her car. No damage was done but my neighbours did threaten to call the police at the time. We didn’t want a big fight in the street as my neighbour can be quite aggressive and my cousin also.

We noticed that since the accident our neighbours have been ignoring us so my husband asked what was wrong. They said that we had missed our chance as we didn’t knock the following day with regards to the accident as my cousin was our guest. Maybe we should have knocked but my husband told them we felt embarrassed and that we weren’t the ones that hit their car so thought best to stay out of it especially as no damage was done anyway. They started carrying on about how they have witnesses but yet when we asked our neighbour for her version of what happened she wouldn’t tell us. I think this is because she was also in the wrong and being aggressive but we don’t want to bring it up.

So anyway, do you think they are just being a bit childish by refusing to talk to us about something that we didn’t even do? I’m so annoyed with my cousin but it was an accident, no damage was done. To be told we had missed our chance and my husband wouldn’t have even mentioned anything if it wasn’t for the fact they were blatantly ignoring us. If it was me, after the chat they had with my husband I would have said ok, let’s forget about it and move on but they aren’t. They don’t want to talk to us.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neighbour Rant - Christmas Day accident

Did you witness the accident? If not, you only have your cousin's word about what happened, and with the best will in the world, your cousin would have put her own actions in the best light.

I would have gone round the following day with a box of choccies/bottle of wine and apologised. As host, you have a responsibility, whether it was your action or someone elses who was a guest in your house, and, let's face it, you also have to live next door to these people so it is better to mend fences than put up barriers.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Did you witness the accident? If not, you only have your cousin's word about what happened, and with the best will in the world, your cousin would have put her own actions in the best light.

I would have gone round the following day with a box of choccies/bottle of wine and apologised. As host, you have a responsibility, whether it was your action or someone elses who was a guest in your house, and, let's face it, you also have to live next door to these people so it is better to mend fences than put up barriers.

We didn't witness it. We didn't knock which probably was a mistake but its probably too late now and what else can we do. Still send some flowers?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

There was no damage to it? Not a single scratch?

You say you didn't witness the accident and that the neighbor drove off...

How do you KNOW their car wasn't damaged in ANY way? Did they tell you.. ?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie007
There was no damage to it? Not a single scratch?

You say you didn't witness the accident and that the neighbor drove off...

How do you KNOW their car wasn't damaged in ANY way? Did they tell you.. ?

My cousin took photos of their bumper. I saw the neighbour driving off just as I got to the front door, it all happened while I was inside and didn't hear a thing. My cousin knocked after the incident.

I think the neighbour also said there wasn't any damage when my husband spoke to them but I would have to double check.

Of course my cousin would be giving me her side of the story but the neighbour is refusing to tell me hers.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

I guess the thing to do now is move forward and buy some flowers to say sorry. I hate all this and never know what to do for the best at the time and then regret what I should have done.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:26 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best to have gone over to apologise on behalf of your cousin. Your guests are your responsibility so feeling embarrassed is not really a good enough reason to not have done so. It was your cousin who bumped your neighbours car after all, they are bound to be annoyed as would anyone. A knock on the door and a bottle of wine probably would have avoided any future problems.

There is also no use in speculating over who said what and positioning of cars as you didn't witness it. I don't think they are being childish, they are probably just angry. Leave it a few days for the dust to settle and then go over and talk to them. To be honest to say it's nothing to do with you is not technically correct as it was someone from your household who hit their car.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molko1974
My cousin took photos of their bumper. I saw the neighbour driving off just as I got to the front door, it all happened while I was inside and didn't hear a thing. My cousin knocked after the incident.

I think the neighbour also said there wasn't any damage when my husband spoke to them but I would have to double check.

Of course my cousin would be giving me her side of the story but the neighbour is refusing to tell me hers.
Sorry... She took photos of their bumper?

If you were on judge Judy I'd be asking your cousin to step up to the board and show me exactly where she was... Where the other car was... And which direction the neighbor was traveling in....

I can't remember anywhere reading that a moving vehicle on the highway had to give way to a vehicle trying to reverse into a parking spot.... And really you should be apportioning blame where it is due.

your cousin was aware of the vehicle, she should have stopped and waited for it to pass....

And any way... You make way too many assumptions, when you have NO idea what really happened... Because you didn't see or hear anything

This story gets stranger and stranger....

As for the flowers... If you are going to do the flowers thing... Dont "send" them... Take them round in person.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Probably best to have gone over to apologise on behalf of your cousin. Your guests are your responsibility so feeling embarrassed is not really a good enough reason to not have done so. It was your cousin who bumped your neighbours car after all, they are bound to be annoyed as would anyone. A knock on the door and a bottle of wine probably would have avoided any future problems.

There is also no use in speculating over who said what and positioning of cars as you didn't witness it. I don't think they are being childish, they are probably just angry. Leave it a few days for the dust to settle and then go over and talk to them. To be honest to say it's nothing to do with you is not technically correct as it was someone from your household who hit their car.

Probably was best but we didn't so now I don't know what to do. I'm not going to speculate and tell her what my cousin said and what she said etc etc

Just wondering if I should now buy some flowers or something today.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:32 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Probably was best but we didn't so now I don't know what to do. I'm not going to speculate and tell her what my cousin said and what she said etc etc

Just wondering if I should now buy some flowers or something today.
Yep I reckon flowers would be good If I was your neighbour I would be pleased with the effort and then let it be water under the bridge. Maybe in the future you could invite them over for dinner or a barbie.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry... She took photos of their bumper?

If you were on judge Judy I'd be asking your cousin to step up to the board and show me exactly where she was... Where the other car was... And which direction the neighbor was traveling in....

I can't remember anywhere reading that a moving vehicle on the highway had to give way to a vehicle trying to reverse into a parking spot.... And really you should be apportioning blame where it is due.

your cousin was aware of the vehicle, she should have stopped and waited for it to pass....

And any way... You make way too many assumptions, when you have NO idea what really happened... Because you didn't see or hear anything

This story gets stranger and stranger....

As for the flowers... If you are going to do the flowers thing... Dont "send" them... Take them round in person.

She did take photos. I know the neighbour wouldn't have been able to pass my cousin as there were parked cars on either side of the road. And I don't want to go by what my cousin says either.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:33 pm
She'll be right

Agree - take them over in person.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

You could take flowers over but people can be difficult and hold a grudge anyway. I'd not bring flowers over and just continue to be polite with them. If you see them washing their car or something, try and strike up a conversation. You'll eventually wear them down.

I think it's funny that they say 'you missed your chance'. If there was no damage to their car, then they really shouldn't be so angry about it. Some people think the world revolves around them.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
You could take flowers over but people can be difficult and hold a grudge anyway. I'd not bring flowers over and just continue to be polite with them. If you see them washing their car or something, try and strike up a conversation. You'll eventually wear them down.

I think it's funny that they say 'you missed your chance'. If there was no damage to their car, then they really shouldn't be so angry about it. Some people think the world revolves around them.

If I do buy flowers then I would take them in person but I do feel like they would hold a grudge against us as they are very odd people anyway.

I know we did wrong but I don't want a rift between us and want to try and make it right. They are angry with us for not knocking the day after.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I do buy flowers then I would take them in person but I do feel like they would hold a grudge against us as they are very odd people anyway.

I know we did wrong but I don't want a rift between us and want to try and make it right. They are angry with us for not knocking the day after.
Do you need "odd" and aggressive people in yournlife? or do you need to move on? (figuratively not literally)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.