Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Need some inspiration!

Wikiposts

Need some inspiration!

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice
Unhappy Need some inspiration!

Hi all,

We leave for Melbourne on the 21st Sep.

This was only booked a few weeks ago due to the inpromptu sale of our house. We are now staying with various friends and family until we go.

Today, I gave up my son's place at a fab primary school that we awere all very happy with. He should have been starting tomorrow and I know its daft but I feel very sad and anxious about letting his place go - especially as there are 12 children on the wait list desperate to get in!

We are planning to move to the Mordialloc/Aspendale area and will be staying at Aspendale for 4 wks on our arrival. Looking on realestate the rental properties seem to be more traditional. We love modern properties but can't find any. Are there any new build in these areas?

I just feel so sad about everything tonight and wondering wether we are doing the right thing. All the reasons why we want to move are still there and I need to keep reminding myself of them!

However, with just over 2 weeks to go i'm starting to think the whole thing is a bad idea and I'll never find a school for my son like the one we gave up today. Please someone tell me this is normal!!!

Ange x
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some inspiration!

Originally Posted by MillsyandtheTroop
Hi all,

This was only booked a few weeks ago due to the inpromptu sale of our house. We are now staying with various friends and family until we go.

Today, I gave up my son's place at a fab primary school that we awere all very happy with. He should have been starting tomorrow and I know its daft but I feel very sad and anxious about letting his place go - especially as there are 12 children on the wait list desperate to get in!

We are planning to move to the Mordialloc/Aspendale area and will be staying at Aspendale for 4 wks on our arrival. Looking on realestate the rental properties seem to be more traditional. We love modern properties but can't find any. Are there any new build in these areas?

I just feel so sad about everything tonight and wondering wether we are doing the right thing. All the reasons why we want to move are still there and I need to keep reminding myself of them!

However, with just over 2 weeks to go i'm starting to think the whole thing is a bad idea and I'll never find a school for my son like the one we gave up today. Please someone tell me this is normal!!!

Ange x
It's quite normal.

Feel any better?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all

Hi all,

Ange x
Hi Ange
Well my experience of schools here in australia is not to good, they seem to be behind on most things and the freedom children get give me goose bumps. this is what i have experienced in state schools, if you are lucky enough to be able to afford private schooling it may be different, but i doubt it, the nerves are all perfectly normal, once you arrive here you will have so much to sort out that you wont have time to think. GOOD LUCK WITH THE MOVE
sharon
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Ange x
Hi Ange

We rented a modern property in Aspendale Gardens - so try that when you search realestate.com.au. There are also a number of new townhouse style properties in Mordialloc. BuzzyBee is renting one and I'm sure he is relocating soonish (send him a PM). I would prefer Mordialloc over Aspendale - more facilities and a nice town centre/high street and little fishing harbour.

I don't know what the schools are like in that area - my oldest was only at kinder whilst we were there. You can find good state schools - don't worry.

Good luck

Rachel
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Last minute nerves are perfectly normal but you will be fine once you are there & can see things for yourself.
Try to enjoy your last few weeks here & think about all those lovely blue skies awaiting you
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt be normal if a few stresses didnt get in the way.

Work them out one by one and try not to over think everything.....write down how you are feeling...never been a believer in all that sort of stuff but it really does work.

Hopefully in a few weeks time you will wonder what you were stressing out about when you are here and sorted.

Good luck

LibbyX
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

Originally Posted by spartacus
It's quite normal.

Feel any better?
Hi Spartacus!

Yes, feeling a little better today. Have kept myself busy so i'm not thinking that he should be at his school! Thanks for asking!

Ange x

Last edited by MillsyandtheTroop; Sep 3rd 2008 at 9:15 am. Reason: spelt school wrong - dont want you to all think i cant spell!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your replies and information. I guess its last minute nerves! Will ask Buzzy Bee bout his rental - many thanks The Crow for the tip!

Ange x
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I do understand how you feel hon! I was fully expecting that we would be doing a reccie at Oct half-term to validate as never expected to sell so quick. Has needed quite a readjustment in mindset & keep swinging between nerves & excitement but having read many posts on here over the past year, many people go through similar feelings. Try to keep it all in perspective & enjoy the ride!
Good luck
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I do understand how you feel hon! I was fully expecting that we would be doing a reccie at Oct half-term to validate as never expected to sell so quick. Has needed quite a readjustment in mindset & keep swinging between nerves & excitement but having read many posts on here over the past year, many people go through similar feelings. Try to keep it all in perspective & enjoy the ride!
Good luck
Thanks!

Whereabouts are you? When did you move over?

x
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks!

Whereabouts are you? When did you move over?

x
Still in UK, still having anxiety attacks!

We are hopefully heading to Cairns early November!

I have heard loads of good things about Melbourne. Have you been before?
Also try not to worry about your 4yr old. Kids at that age are very adaptable & if you make a mistake with school, he will cope & recover very quickly.
We lived in the caribbean for a couple of years, difficult schooling for our eldest but has not held him back long-term. He's 14 now so I feel we have to get it right for him first time this time. No pressure there then!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Still in UK, still having anxiety attacks!

We are hopefully heading to Cairns early November!

I have heard loads of good things about Melbourne. Have you been before?
Also try not to worry about your 4yr old. Kids at that age are very adaptable & if you make a mistake with school, he will cope & recover very quickly.
We lived in the caribbean for a couple of years, difficult schooling for our eldest but has not held him back long-term. He's 14 now so I feel we have to get it right for him first time this time. No pressure there then!
All the best for your move in November! Are you waiting on house sale?

We went on a reccie to Melbourne in March and loved it! Although its hard to distinguish holiday from reality, there was just something we loved about the place and couldnt put a finger on it!! We felt safe and welcomed. Loved what the city has to offer - the river, cafe's, parks - just beautiful! Thats what I keep needing to remind myself of at times like this!

x
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All the best for your move in November! Are you waiting on house sale?

We went on a reccie to Melbourne in March and loved it! Although its hard to distinguish holiday from reality, there was just something we loved about the place and couldnt put a finger on it!! We felt safe and welcomed. Loved what the city has to offer - the river, cafe's, parks - just beautiful! Thats what I keep needing to remind myself of at times like this!

x
Just hold those thoughts! Most people are also so positive about the benefits of a move to Oz for children

House sale progressing well, contracts exchanged & due to complete Oct 13th! I finish work Oct 17th, then we will do a bit of UK travel, goodbyes etc & be off

I am off to bed now but if you want to chat sometime, I am usually here somewhere! (saddo that I am) or pm me!

btw, whereabouts in UK are you?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Just hold those thoughts! Most people are also so positive about the benefits of a move to Oz for children

House sale progressing well, contracts exchanged & due to complete Oct 13th! I finish work Oct 17th, then we will do a bit of UK travel, goodbyes etc & be off

I am off to bed now but if you want to chat sometime, I am usually here somewhere! (saddo that I am) or pm me!

btw, whereabouts in UK are you?
Think you'll be in bed now but will reply anyway!

Great news about contracts exchanged! We only exchanged 2 wks before we completed. Its great that buyers cant back out at this stage. You've done very well to sell in this market.

You are doing exactly what we did - travelling round country before leaving. We are currently at my in laws in Redditch until next week when we are back staying at a friends in Chorley, where we are from.

Which part of the UK are you from?
x
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

I don't live too far away from Mordialloc/Aspendale and think they are pretty good areas for starting out in Melbourne. It is pretty normal to get the jitters just before you leave, so try not to worry too much.

Schooling in the Bayside/Kingston suburbs is pretty good. State schools have to compete with privates so it is not all doom and gloom. I assume your son hasn't started school in the UK yet, in which case it is the ideal time for him to start here. It doesn't matter that the system is slightly different, he is none the wiser.

Yes, I think there are some improvements that could be made to the education system in Victoria (there are in the UK too) BUT at the end of the day I consider the whole package of living in Melbourne and that it has far more to offer kids and families than anywhere I have lived in the UK. School education and academic achievement only forms a small part of a child's learning and well being so try not to stress too much. As OPs have said kids are adaptable, this is a small step in a big adventure and you can always make changes to your route if you make a wrong turning.

Good Luck and remember there are plenty of people living nearby that will offer friendship and support when you arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.