Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

need to put a 6 metre pipe below driveway... any ideas

need to put a 6 metre pipe below driveway... any ideas

Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:18 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Question need to put a 6 metre pipe below driveway... any ideas

Hi guys.

I need to lay a 6 metre length of pipe below my drive, for stormwater etc. I have no idea how I am going to do this, I have seen the gas people do it with a pressure hose, using pressurized air. Does anyone know of any companies that do this, details would be great. I realise I can dig it, but dont particularly want to undermine the driveway, by doing it with long thin spades etc. I want to simply put a nice 6 metre length of pipe under, that has a gentle fall on it, digging I will probably not get the level correct.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: need to put a 6 metre pipe below driveway... any ideas

Quite easy to get level right, just base the trench with p shingle or sand and this will self level the pipe as long as you have a rough fall. Only problem you might come across is ground sinking afterwoods, make sure this is compacted by using one of these http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Once pipe is layed cover the pipe completely with p shingle or similar, and refill hole with what you removed, make sure you compact the earth a few times to be safe from the ground sinking later.

Last edited by rocket01; Jul 19th 2010 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:50 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: need to put a 6 metre pipe below driveway... any ideas

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Hi guys.

I need to lay a 6 metre length of pipe below my drive, for stormwater etc. I have no idea how I am going to do this, I have seen the gas people do it with a pressure hose, using pressurized air. Does anyone know of any companies that do this, details would be great. I realise I can dig it, but dont particularly want to undermine the driveway, by doing it with long thin spades etc. I want to simply put a nice 6 metre length of pipe under, that has a gentle fall on it, digging I will probably not get the level correct.
What is the driveway made of? Is it concrete? If it is you will need a Borer. When we built our house we had to bore right under the road to the other side of the street as that was where the water main was. Four guys did it with a massive water drill in a morning - cost $1400 from memory.

BB
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

If the driveway is concrete, you can hire one of these to make a nice & tidy trench.

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Then you will something to break the concrete
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:28 am
ABCDiamond

Hi guys.

I was wanting to do the same as you recently, but ended up just doing an extra channel straight to the kerb, avoiding going under the drive.

You may not be able to do that, but if it is an option, it will be cheaper.

Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was wanting to do the same as you recently, but ended up just doing an extra channel straight to the kerb, avoiding going under the drive.

You may not be able to do that, but if it is an option, it will be cheaper.
Good advice
Divert away from driveway if possible
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:07 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the answers so far, some of you seem to have misunderstood though.

Drive is solid concrete, it is staying, as is relatively new. I simply need some way of boring a hole from one side of it to the other, distance is just over 6 metres, no other way of doing it, as it stretches from the garage to the road, so I am unable to go around it Therefore I have to go under it, so have to make a tunnel from one side to the other, and also maintain a small fall so the subsequent water will run downhill.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Whatever method you choose.......... dial before you dig, these guys will tell you if there are any services under there before you start

Trust me....... hitting a 450kVa cable is not pretty nor cheap
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rossi
Whatever method you choose.......... dial before you dig, these guys will tell you if there are any services under there before you start

Trust me....... hitting a 450kVa cable is not pretty nor cheap
No need too worry about a gas main
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Drive is solid concrete, it is staying, as is relatively new. I simply need some way of boring a hole from one side of it to the other, distance is just over 6 metres, no other way of doing it, as it stretches from the garage to the road, so I am unable to go around it Therefore I have to go under it, so have to make a tunnel from one side to the other, and also maintain a small fall so the subsequent water will run downhill.
The cost of getting a pipe under the drive using either water or air boring/drilling may be somewhat cost prohibitive. Could you not install some driveway drainage [see pic] it may be a lot cheaper to cut the concrete & install the drain than bore under.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

If your on real sandy soils (like most of Perth ) just put in a soak well (check Bunnings ) or if you have to run water under the driveway - start with a 6m x 25mm pvc pipe connected to your hose (remove flow restriction at tap ) and blast it under the driveway , then gradually increase the size of PVC to the required size.
If you have a bore even better for pressure / its very easy to add a tap on your bore line.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:03 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys.

Get a lenth of conduit/retic pipe and stick your garden hose inside it with the tap turned on and push it through under your drive way. 6 m is bugger all and do it all the time so as to run retic or power under driveways
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:52 pm
Karma earned, not whored

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Get a lenth of conduit/retic pipe and stick your garden hose inside it with the tap turned on and push it through under your drive way. 6 m is bugger all and do it all the time so as to run retic or power under driveways
I knew somebody would grasp what I was trying to do sooner or later Thanks for that.

I have downpipes at the rear of my house, that need to run into a 1500 x 1500 soakwell at the front. The only way to get all that water from the back to the front is under the garage, as the garage is on the boundary.

My pipe needs to be 90 mm though, I can see that method working for 20 mm or 30 mm but will it work for 90 mm.

Cheers guys
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

I knew somebody would grasp what I was trying to do sooner or later Thanks for that.

I have downpipes at the rear of my house, that need to run into a 1500 x 1500 soakwell at the front. The only way to get all that water from the back to the front is under the garage, as the garage is on the boundary.

My pipe needs to be 90 mm though, I can see that method working for 20 mm or 30 mm but will it work for 90 mm.

Cheers guys
Every downpipe should have its own soakwell , is this from a patio ?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:30 am
Karma earned, not whored

Originally Posted by mulben
Every downpipe should have its own soakwell , is this from a patio ?
That is nonesense. All houses built in WA, have to meet Shire requirements for stormwater. These are very specific, the 600 x 600 soakwells do not meet Shire requirements, as they are too small. Most new houses have to install two x 1500 x 1200 concrete soakwells to meet these requirements. The days of installing one per downpipe are long gone. All building contracts in WA now state that failure to install soakwells to meet shire requirements can void the builders structural warranty. (a friend built several months ago in Swanbourne, and had to meet all the requirements)

All the details are on here, including the Shire regs for many of the Shires: http://www.soakwells.net.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.