Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Need to have a vent about my DH

Need to have a vent about my DH

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to have a vent about my DH

No, I'm sorry but I really, really disagree. If my husband started firing off my CV he wouldn't be my husband for much longer, and I'm sure the reverse is true.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:54 am
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Seasider
No, I'm sorry but I really, really disagree. If my husband started firing off my CV he wouldn't be my husband for much longer, and I'm sure the reverse is true.
I wasnt suggesting doing it in secret without his knowledge.

By the sound of it he is not saying outright No just dragging his heels and procrastinating, so I view it as getting the ball rolling - if he starts to get some positive response he may pick up the ball himself and run with it.

I think it also depends on the kind of man your husband is - Babycatchers OH sounds very much to me like my husband who needs a little nudge now and then (and I think my OH secretly likes it.)
Some guys like being treated a little like children sometimes - eases the pressure on making decisions.
I am only offering my opinion, BC knows her husband well enough to know if doing such a thing would upset her husband or not, just as you know yours would be upset, its up to her if she follows the advice or not.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kris_Rocks
I reckon you should start fireing off some CVs on his behalf, I dont see the harm in it - its not like he has to take a job, but it may prove that there are jobs out there, however, it may also prove that its not that easy and his fears are well founded, in which case you will also have a new perspective on things.

Either way, a job isnt going to come and find you and the only way to find out is to look and see, then a decision can be made.

Hope that helps
It could also make him feel even more redundant and worthless depending on his mood. It could almost be saying 'well you are unable to do it so I guess I have to do it for you'. Not saying that's what you'd be doing, just how it could be read.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
He is having his procrastinating, stubborn phase again and wont discuss Oz. He insists it's not that he has decided against the move but he seems to be firmly in the world of that he wont get a job yaddah yaddah yaddah.
Cause there appear not be jobs in Extreme Networking (something in IT) he says he wont get a job. He can do other support and networking roles but is convinced that this wont happen as he doesn't have formal quals. (Only 25 yrs working for Government)
I have suggested that he apply for some jobs now just to see if he gets any interest. I have pm'd a number of you guys for info and been told that there are lots of IT jobs but none of this seems to help.
I said to him today that if he just wants to give up on it thats ok I just need to know as this has been going on for years now I CANT StAND IT!
I read everything about emigrating and life in Oz and me and the kids want to go and I just need him to get his arse in gear! :curse: .....I always seem to be back here waiting for him....
Anyway I just thought I would let you know HOW FRUSTRATED I AM...AGAIN!
It has to be a joint decision i guess, you can't make or force him to go.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:17 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you should start fireing off some CVs on his behalf, I dont see the harm in it
Bad move! Do that at your peril.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:04 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

I think a few of you are taking this a little out of context.

I am in NO WAY saying just go ahead and arrange his life for him!

All I am saying is that, obviously unlike all of your husbands, there are some guys around, like my husband, who on some occassions would rather the decision making process be taken out of their hands for any number of reasons - in the case of my husband it is because he is such an absolute worry wart that it physically prevents him from making a decision because he cannot choose which way to jump and goes around in circles because he worries about every single possible thing that could happen - when this situation arises I find it best to get all the info possible and spell it out to him and then make a descision together, when he sees some positive feedback it seems to calm him down a bit and clear his vision, e.g. me applying for some jobs (with his knowledge)and then him actually being offered some gave him the confidence to know that we werent going to move around the world and be destitute and that there were jobs available. Once that worry has been eliminated and occupying his every thought he his then able to move on.

This going round in circles can be very frustrating because one day your guy will be totally up for it then a week later he has found something else to worry about and its all off again and more often than not it is soooo frustrating because the worries are unfounded and the only way to get past that is to physically prove that it is not an issue - such as obtaining a job offer proved that lack of work is not an issue.

I am only offering a run down of my experience with my OH - I am not saying do this or else, and I am pretty sure that Babycatcher is of sound enough mind to know if she would be able to do such a thing with regards to her husband - only she will know if it is the right thing to do or not.

From what BC has put in the first post it sounds very familiar to me and I am only telling her how I got past this stage with my OH - thats all.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:06 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Originally Posted by moneypen20
It could also make him feel even more redundant and worthless depending on his mood. It could almost be saying 'well you are unable to do it so I guess I have to do it for you'. Not saying that's what you'd be doing, just how it could be read.
Originally Posted by arkon
Bad move! Do that at your peril.
I didn't read it like that at all - more like being proactive in this situation & doing something to find out the truth about the employment prospects, instead of sitting around wondering & feeling down about it.

Obviously Kris wasn't suggesting doing this behind the OH's back, no-one in their right mind would do that!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:26 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Originally Posted by JenniGee
I didn't read it like that at all - more like being proactive in this situation & doing something to find out the truth about the employment prospects, instead of sitting around wondering & feeling down about it.

Obviously Kris wasn't suggesting doing this behind the OH's back, no-one in their right mind would do that!
Thank you - you managed to put it a lot more succinctly than I.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:25 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

I think a few of you are taking this a little out of context.

I am in NO WAY saying just go ahead and arrange his life for him!

All I am saying is that, obviously unlike all of your husbands, there are some guys around, like my husband, who on some occassions would rather the decision making process be taken out of their hands for any number of reasons - in the case of my husband it is because he is such an absolute worry wart that it physically prevents him from making a decision because he cannot choose which way to jump and goes around in circles because he worries about every single possible thing that could happen - when this situation arises I find it best to get all the info possible and spell it out to him and then make a descision together, when he sees some positive feedback it seems to calm him down a bit and clear his vision, e.g. me applying for some jobs (with his knowledge)and then him actually being offered some gave him the confidence to know that we werent going to move around the world and be destitute and that there were jobs available. Once that worry has been eliminated and occupying his every thought he his then able to move on.

This going round in circles can be very frustrating because one day your guy will be totally up for it then a week later he has found something else to worry about and its all off again and more often than not it is soooo frustrating because the worries are unfounded and the only way to get past that is to physically prove that it is not an issue - such as obtaining a job offer proved that lack of work is not an issue.

I am only offering a run down of my experience with my OH - I am not saying do this or else, and I am pretty sure that Babycatcher is of sound enough mind to know if she would be able to do such a thing with regards to her husband - only she will know if it is the right thing to do or not.

From what BC has put in the first post it sounds very familiar to me and I am only telling her how I got past this stage with my OH - thats all.
Hiya - firstly thank you for taking the time to give your advice, secondly I am of sound enough mind to work out what I can/can't do and I totally get what your saying as well as think it's a good idea. I have talked to DH and he has agreed to do his CV. Dont hold your breath I think it will take a while - my patience test! - but I totally intend to send it off (with his knowledge). Your OH could be related to mine !!! Thanks so much P)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:15 am
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Hiya - firstly thank you for taking the time to give your advice, secondly I am of sound enough mind to work out what I can/can't do and I totally get what your saying as well as think it's a good idea. I have talked to DH and he has agreed to do his CV. Dont hold your breath I think it will take a while - my patience test! - but I totally intend to send it off (with his knowledge). Your OH could be related to mine !!! Thanks so much P)
No worries, they do sound very similar to me.
Glad I was able to help a little and hope it gets things moving for you - it only took me 7 years and having a baby to get my OH to consider moving away from the UK - ha ha ha!
And he still keeps getting bouts of doubt here and there but they are getting less and less.
Keep me updated.