Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

nbn - who did you go with and why?

nbn - who did you go with and why?

Old Aug 1st 2018, 11:08 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nbn - who did you go with and why?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
I've considered not bothering with nbn, especially given that you hand over your phone line to the nbn box. Power cut = no phone line. Now the 6yo knows how to call for an emergency, the idea of not having a home phone bothers me.
Seriously, in an emergency, when the power is also out, wouldn't you just use a mobile anyway?

And if the power cut is significant enough that it takes out the cell tower and it's battery backup, it will take out the node as well.

I have a VoIP 'landline', but only because it's cheap. And I'm looking to route it through to my mobile eventually.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
And if the power cut is significant enough that it takes out the cell tower and it's battery backup, it will take out the node as well.
If one of the boys needs to make an emergency call, they can either hunt around for me or the wife's phone, unlock it (nope, that's why they're secure!), pick the phone app, dial..... etc. Or, pick up the handset which will always be in one spot, dial 000... much quicker and easier. That said, the mother-in-law tried pulling the power to her Telstra smart modem today to see what would happen. What happened was ... the box powered off, because it had no power .... doh!
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If one of the boys needs to make an emergency call, they can either hunt around for me or the wife's phone, unlock it (nope, that's why they're secure!), pick the phone app, dial..... etc. Or, pick up the handset which will always be in one spot, dial 000... much quicker and easier. That said, the mother-in-law tried pulling the power to her Telstra smart modem today to see what would happen. What happened was ... the box powered off, because it had no power .... doh!
Hmm that sounds like the catylyst for a new phone app or something. There wont be any home phones in 10 years.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 6:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

If one of the boys needs to make an emergency call, they can either hunt around for me or the wife's phone, unlock it (nope, that's why they're secure!), pick the phone app, dial..... etc.
You pick up the mobile phone, and even if it's locked, there is the option to unlock it to make a emergency call only (at least there is on mine).

And what kind of draconian dad doesn't let their kiddies have a smartphone today anyway? ;-)
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You pick up the mobile phone, and even if it's locked, there is the option to unlock it to make a emergency call only (at least there is on mine).

And what kind of draconian dad doesn't let their kiddies have a smartphone today anyway? ;-)
Yep. Mine has a phone. He also gets the phone removed when he screws up. He also plays with his cars, kicks the football, and likes to draw. It's all good.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie Broadband are currently $10pm off for 6 months, hence $69.

Find you house on

NBN MTM Alpha

and see what speed you are likely to get. No point looking at faster speeds than Trumbull's fraudband are likely to be able to deliver.
very useful! Very disappointing though, when I clicked on our house (and all others in the vicinity) it was basically the no bloody idea” yellow dot. Just as well I don’t have to think of it at the moment.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Right. I think I've decided (though I have thought I have decided several times so far)...

Aussie Broadband 50mbps plan (thanks to the dogs dinner nbn over old copper idea, it looks like we'll never get 100mbps). No lock-in contract is a plus, shame I have to buy a router, but that's ok. At least I know it won't be a Telstra box where they can force down an update and bugger up a load of settings like they did once before. I can live without Telstra Air.

Plus one of these Android media boxes: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tanix-TX...asonic+tz.TRS0

I had a play with a Telstra TV box, and it was ok, but not great. Apart from being able to connect an aerial and use it for live TV, it did nothing that I can't do better with a 3rd-party box. And I'll have full control over a 3rd party box, and with with Android I've got a shedload of other apps available. The Tesltra selection of apps was very limited. I can cheat the Telstra AFL app onto it (possibly... I got it onto my tablet) so that precludes having to get Foxtel (yes I get foxtel now with Telstra plus one channel pack, but most likely won't use it anyway); but even if we decide we really want Foxtel, we'll load the Foxtel Now app and do it that way.

Cheers y'all.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 8:45 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Aussie Broadband 50mbps plan (thanks to the dogs dinner nbn over old copper idea, it looks like we'll never get 100mbps). No lock-in contract is a plus, shame I have to buy a router, but that's ok. At least I know it won't be a Telstra box where they can force down an update and bugger up a load of settings like they did once before. I can live without Telstra Air.
OK, well next step, are you going for unlimited, or a particular bandwidth? If Unlimited then remember there is a code for $10 for six months. Might be worth waiting to sign up till they have a specific flash deal on instead (like a free modem/router) , eg https://www.ozbargain.com.au/deals/a...oadband.com.au

Also worth putting in someone as a referral code. Might not work anymore, but still worth a go.

Plus one of these Android media boxes: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tanix-TX...asonic+tz.TRS0
Worth also looking to get your Rasp Pi setup as a Kodi box. Not sure if I can extract my Aussie Freeview addons to give you (since Seven got theirs pulled down), but since you already have the board ... Can also add a TV tuner for Live TV, PVR, etc.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, well next step, are you going for unlimited, or a particular bandwidth? If Unlimited then remember there is a code for $10 for six months. Might be worth waiting to sign up till they have a specific flash deal on instead (like a free modem/router) , eg https://www.ozbargain.com.au/deals/a...oadband.com.au
Ah so that's where the $10 came from. That's an awesome site to keep an eye on. I had no idea. I kept going back to aussiebroadband.com.au and couldn't find the discount anywhere... doh.

Also worth putting in someone as a referral code. Might not work anymore, but still worth a go.
I do know someone currently with them. Will drop them a line and see if we can get anything out of a referral.

Worth also looking to get your Rasp Pi setup as a Kodi box. Not sure if I can extract my Aussie Freeview addons to give you (since Seven got theirs pulled down), but since you already have the board ... Can also add a TV tuner for Live TV, PVR, etc.
Already use my Pi as a Kodi box (via OpenElec). I don't have a lot of addons as I'm finding it a little slow these days. Our Pi generally sits on the weather forecast, then we use it to play back media from our Serviio server, sometimes Uk radio streams I have the URLs for (that's a bit hit and miss). I like the idea of making the Pi a PVR. Reckon it has to be better than our el-cheapo Big W PVR. It would mean at least one less box & cables cluttering the TV. I knew it is capable of it, just never got around to researching it properly (or had spare cash when I've remembered the idea).
Old Aug 5th 2018, 6:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Right. I think I've decided (though I have thought I have decided several times so far)...

I had a play with a Telstra TV box, and it was ok, but not great. Apart from being able to connect an aerial and use it for live TV, it did nothing that I can't do better with a 3rd-party box. And I'll have full control over a 3rd party box, and with with Android I've got a shedload of other apps available. The Tesltra selection of apps was very limited. I can cheat the Telstra AFL app onto it (possibly... I got it onto my tablet) so that precludes having to get Foxtel (yes I get foxtel now with Telstra plus one channel pack, but most likely won't use it anyway); but even if we decide we really want Foxtel, we'll load the Foxtel Now app and do it that way.

Cheers y'all.

I'm on FTTN and get 100MB (or very, very close)

I've been messing around with media boxes, streamers, HTPCs etc for years now and I've tried them all - Roku, WD TV, Amazon Fire TV and Sticks, Raspberry PI, Chromecast etc. I reckon for low cost, the Xiaomi mi box is hard to beat but if you want the real deal then spend more and get the NVidia. A HTPC running Windows is a good idea as all the streaming services will be available to you (BBC iplayer on Kodi is horrible in comparison) as webpages. I have an Intel NUC. My 2 cents
Old Aug 7th 2018, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

In a few years Garry is going to have to find something else to use as a political weapon.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/gigabit-speeds-round-the-corner-for-inner-city-nbn-customers-20180807-p4zvz3.html
Old Aug 7th 2018, 11:47 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
In a few years Garry is going to have to find something else to use as a political weapon.
Oh don't worry. The ramifications of the screwup of the NBN by Trunbull and Abbott is going to go on for decades. Even when Mr Fast-Affordable-Sooner's crippled NBN-lite gets here, slower, more expensive, and late they are basically going to have to turn around and start ripping out the FTTN as unfit for purpose. That'll take a good few years to fix, and the rural side will also need a rip and replace at the same time (probably more 5G and LEO satellite). Then we have business expecting affordable gigabit fibre in the CBD (which the NBN just can't manage) and we'll still be decrying the cockup in the 2030s.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh don't worry. The ramifications of the screwup of the NBN by Trunbull and Abbott is going to go on for decades. Even when Mr Fast-Affordable-Sooner's crippled NBN-lite gets here, slower, more expensive, and late they are basically going to have to turn around and start ripping out the FTTN as unfit for purpose. That'll take a good few years to fix, and the rural side will also need a rip and replace at the same time (probably more 5G and LEO satellite). Then we have business expecting affordable gigabit fibre in the CBD (which the NBN just can't manage) and we'll still be decrying the cockup in the 2030s.
Nothing needs ripping out when further upgrades occur.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 5:00 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

ABB free modem deal is on again till the end of the week, if it's of use.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/396571
Old Aug 13th 2018, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ABB free modem deal is on again till the end of the week, if it's of use.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/396571
OH YES that is very much of use, cheers That's worth way more than $10 off/month for 6 months. I was probably going to order in the next couple of days. Been shopping around for the modem too. Best price I've found is $100 for a used one on eBay. Would much rather have one direct from ABB with full support. Oh there are not enough geeky smily faces for me to use

I asked Aussie BB only last week if they'd be repeating the free modem offer. "No" they said.... glad I didn't rush into it

Good man Garry. You've just saved us a packet. Very welcome with $420 car service imminent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.