Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

nbn - who did you go with and why?

nbn - who did you go with and why?

Old Jul 31st 2018, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nbn - who did you go with and why?

Originally Posted by GarryP
Not sure where you are getting $15pm extra. As far as I can see it's $99 for 50mbps, the box, and one channel (worth $10), and a $99 connection change, and a $100 Foxtel from Telstra standard installation fee (which means effectively neither the telstra TV nor modem are free). Aussie is $69 for the same speed, no connection/installation fees, $99 for a VoIP capable modem, and no 24 month contract. For the $30 difference in cost you could get Netflix AND 1 channel of Foxtel Now, and still have $10 pm left over.

Do you know what technology you are looking at? Looks like FTTN ?
Yeah sorry I wasn't clear was I... Aussie BB $84/month. Telstra $99/month - there's the $15/m extra.

Good point about the $100 foxtel charge. I hadn't spotted that. The $99 telstra connection charge doesn't apply because I'm a new nbn customer. That's what they've said over two webchats anyway... maybe I need to get that clarified again, again. Aussie is $79 for the same speed, plus $5 to connect a phone. But still, with other Telstra fees considered, a self-sourced Android TV box plus extra as you suggest is an enticing option. More so since we don't have Netflix and aren't currently interested in it anyway.

I've decided Telstra Air isn't a dealbreaker. My mobile plan gives me 5GB/month (I use less than 1GB) and I can rollover unused data into a databank up to 50GB; that would mitigate not having Telstra Air.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

and a $100 Foxtel from Telstra standard installation fee
[snip]
Do you know what technology you are looking at? Looks like FTTN ?
Right, I *think* Foxtel from Telstra refers specifically to having an iq3 box and dish on the roof. Foxtel Now doesn't carry the same installation/connection fee.

Yes, FTTN here. We'll be happy with 50mbps I'm sure. Telstra have said that 100mbps is not yet available anyway. Interesting that Telstra note that in the packages they offer me online - no 100mbps options at all - whereas the others all claim to be able to give me 100mbps..
Old Jul 31st 2018, 10:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Yeah sorry I wasn't clear was I... Aussie BB $84/month. Telstra $99/month - there's the $15/m extra.

Good point about the $100 foxtel charge. I hadn't spotted that. The $99 telstra connection charge doesn't apply because I'm a new nbn customer. That's what they've said over two webchats anyway... maybe I need to get that clarified again, again. Aussie is $79 for the same speed, plus $5 to connect a phone. But still, with other Telstra fees considered, a self-sourced Android TV box plus extra as you suggest is an enticing option. More so since we don't have Netflix and aren't currently interested in it anyway.

I've decided Telstra Air isn't a dealbreaker. My mobile plan gives me 5GB/month (I use less than 1GB) and I can rollover unused data into a databank up to 50GB; that would mitigate not having Telstra Air.
Aussie Broadband are currently $10pm off for 6 months, hence $69.

Right, I *think* Foxtel from Telstra refers specifically to having an iq3 box and dish on the roof. Foxtel Now doesn't carry the same installation/connection fee.

Yes, FTTN here. We'll be happy with 50mbps I'm sure. Telstra have said that 100mbps is not yet available anyway. Interesting that Telstra note that in the packages they offer me online - no 100mbps options at all - whereas the others all claim to be able to give me 100mbps..
Find you house on

NBN MTM Alpha

and see what speed you are likely to get. No point looking at faster speeds than Trumbull's fraudband are likely to be able to deliver.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Find you house on

NBN MTM Alpha

and see what speed you are likely to get. No point looking at faster speeds than Trumbull's fraudband are likely to be able to deliver.
That's a really handy website. I can't decide what colour dot I have. Doesn't look like FTTN 90-100 (even though the house behind me has a red dot, despite being many years older. We're a new build, only 3 years old). I could be 50-90, or 25-50. I'm inclined to be slightly optimistic - currently on ADSL2+ currently and get good speed from that (just over 14mbps). The dot does look more slightly darker orange than slightly lighter orange (and cue the old dress colour debate...!)
Old Aug 1st 2018, 12:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Click on your house, it will give you the details. Looks like circa 50Mpbs to me.

And if it's a new build with FTTN, you got screwed over. They should have been installing FTTP from the get go.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=GarryP;12541522]Click on your house, it will give you the details. Looks like circa 50Mpbs to me.[\QUOTE]

Ah, didn't realise. "Distance premise-pillar: 938m. Estimated download rate 22-35mbps". Well that's my optimism out of the window. Pants, pants, pants.

And if it's a new build with FTTN, you got screwed over. They should have been installing FTTP from the get go.
You would have thought... but our house is a new road behind a pretty old road. Instead of the cable taking the most direct route (down the path from the house behind) is goes the wrong way down the road behind, turns right, turns right again into our cul-de-sac, and ends up at us - the last house.

Certainly settles whether or not I stick with a 50mbps package or try for 100mbps.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 4:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

[QUOTE=Lucas_Dad;12541555]
Click on your house, it will give you the details. Looks like circa 50Mpbs to me.[\QUOTE]

Ah, didn't realise. "Distance premise-pillar: 938m. Estimated download rate 22-35mbps". Well that's my optimism out of the window. Pants, pants, pants.
OK, there is still a chance - that site is still 'best guess' and unofficial. Doesn't look like they have any info on 'nodes' near you (particularly micronode). If they are using them then the effective distance can be cut. However they tend only to bother if people aren't going to get 25Mbit, and it sounds like you will

Would suggest going for something where you can tune what you pay for to what you can get. And making sure the copper inside your control (and inside your house) doesn't hold you back. Clean copper, no joins, etc.

You would have thought... but our house is a new road behind a pretty old road. Instead of the cable taking the most direct route (down the path from the house behind) is goes the wrong way down the road behind, turns right, turns right again into our cul-de-sac, and ends up at us - the last house.

Certainly settles whether or not I stick with a 50mbps package or try for 100mbps.
Remember when Trunbull wants your vote next year - he is the muppet responsible for all this cockup. Fibre doesn't care and even FTTC will do 100Mbit (if only just). But "25 Mbits is enough for anyone" ...
Old Aug 1st 2018, 4:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lucas_Dad;12541555]
Click on your house, it will give you the details. Looks like circa 50Mpbs to me.[\QUOTE]

The NBN rocks

I have FTTN and on a 100/400 link consistently get 95/35

Real world is usually different to hater world
Old Aug 1st 2018, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=GarryP;12541562]

Remember when Trunbull wants your vote next year - he is the muppet responsible for all this cockup. Fibre doesn't care and even FTTC will do 100Mbit (if only just). But "25 Mbits is enough for anyone" ...
Turnbull or Shorten. The man who delivered us the NBN. Or the man who has delivered zero and the only thing likely to deliver is more power to the unions.

hmmm. Not really a contest now is it.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Whoo hoo. It looks like I now have FTTC according to NBNCo.

Is it worth it? My ADSL is quick. No problem with streaming and download gigs of software. Yeah I will probably grab a bit.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

I've considered not bothering with nbn, especially given that you hand over your phone line to the nbn box. Power cut = no phone line. Now the 6yo knows how to call for an emergency, the idea of not having a home phone bothers me.

That is until I discovered that the Telstra smart modem has a battery backup, and 4G capability, so in the event of a power loss we still have a phone at least. Do any of the other ISPs and their modems offer this functionality? This alone may have made my decision for me. Chances of a power cut - really really small. But do I want to be in a power cut and have that really really small chance that one of us will need to pick up the phone for some emergency or other...
Old Aug 1st 2018, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Whoo hoo. It looks like I now have FTTC according to NBNCo.

Is it worth it? My ADSL is quick. No problem with streaming and download gigs of software. Yeah I will probably grab a bit.
I've got FTTC and it works a treat. I'm consistently getting above 45/18Mbs on the NBN 50 Optus plan. The biggest difference you notice over a good ADSL plan is the upload speed is a hell of a lot quicker. I used to get 17Mbs with the IInet connection on ADSL.

Taken just now....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 1st 2018 at 1:00 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've got FTTC and it works a treat. I'm consistently getting above 45/18Mbs on the NBN 50 Optus plan. The biggest difference you notice over a good ADSL plan is the upload speed is a hell of a lot quicker. I used to get 17Mbs with the IInet connection on ADSL.

Taken just now....

Good point. My upload speeds are rubbish so that will make a difference.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've considered not bothering with nbn, especially given that you hand over your phone line to the nbn box. Power cut = no phone line. Now the 6yo knows how to call for an emergency, the idea of not having a home phone bothers me.

That is until I discovered that the Telstra smart modem has a battery backup, and 4G capability, so in the event of a power loss we still have a phone at least. Do any of the other ISPs and their modems offer this functionality? This alone may have made my decision for me. Chances of a power cut - really really small. But do I want to be in a power cut and have that really really small chance that one of us will need to pick up the phone for some emergency or other...
My 4 year old has a mobile phone. Games and YouTube. If I really had an issue with that, I would put a SIM card in it. Problem solved.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Vodafone do the same thing.

Optus doesnt, which is one downer with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.