Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

nbn - who did you go with and why?

nbn - who did you go with and why?

Old Aug 14th 2018, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nbn - who did you go with and why?

Thanks everyone for your input. I've placed my order with Aussie Broadband using their FREEMODEM code. $150 saving, too good to pass up, and their pre-sales support and patience has been great. Hope that level of service carries through to their after sales support.

To anyone considering Aussie BB nbn - please now wait until my connection is active, then I can give you a referral code, for which I get a month free

Cheers all
Old Aug 15th 2018, 7:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Another ABB offer - a good one too:
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/396985

I got my first month free so about the same as this
Old Aug 29th 2018, 5:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Just to note, looks like Telecube have gone bust too.

Aussie are doing $10 off for first 6 months on any unlimited plan to snare a few from the diaspora.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 8:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

A quick word for those who are on Aussie Broadband. They have recently got rid of the $5 price on the casual VoIP plan, so in theory from the next bill that should be free (a useful little cut, or an excuse to keep a 'landline' number).

They are also getting rid of plans under $55 ahead of NBNCo putting the wholesale price up - which basically only affects 12/1 and 25/2 customers.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The guys were out the front again fiddling with the pits again. I ask them why they were back. Bit of trouble threading the fibre first time round. Rats I said. All I got was a giggle. No further info on the trouble threading the fibre. However, its FTTC and my office is about 3 meters from the pit.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 3:30 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Vodafone, main reason was the 4G backup when the NBN goes down.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 4:42 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by themerlin
Vodafone, main reason was the 4G backup when the NBN goes down.
They don't have a top tier reputation unfortunately, and effectively you are stuck with them for 3 years because of their modem. Optus transit, with all that implies.

BTW Kogan NBN is effectively rebranded Vodafone
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:10 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
They don't have a top tier reputation unfortunately, and effectively you are stuck with them for 3 years because of their modem. Optus transit, with all that implies.

BTW Kogan NBN is effectively rebranded Vodafone
I signed up on the old plan a couple of months before they changed the plans, they let all the old member off contract so I can leave when I want.
I find them OK, not as good as ABB, but they 4G backup has come in handy, before we had that we lost NBN for just under a week and the family nearly killed each other.

But I agree would not signup for 3 years (although I think the early exit fees are not too bad)
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

before we had that we lost NBN for just under a week and the family nearly killed each other.
NBN really ought to be forced to pay compensation to the users for that type of failure, say $1 per hour. Mind still think that a generalised 4G hotspot is a better backup for the (should be) infrequent times that the service goes down.

But I agree would not signup for 3 years (although I think the early exit fees are not too bad)
Basically the $180 modem has to be taken, and you have to pay it off. So either you pay $5 pm over 36months, or if you want out you have to pay whatever is left over on that cost. Which stinks as a tactic.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 6:13 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Aussie Broadband have a decent deal on again for the month of November. $20pm off for six months on the unlimited packages. So 50Mbps for $59 and 100Mpbs for $79 for the first six months - Code SWITCH20

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/413126

Let me know if you're going to sign up and in theory I can get $50 for referring you.

BTW my guess is they are doing this because NBNCo are taking away the deal they started earlier in the year, so expect some other providers to slow down as bandwidth costs them more again. Back to the bad old days.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Took me ages and 2 modems to sort out my connection issues with Optus. I was having lots of IP conflicts continuously. Now you would think they would have a solution. I should have fixed it myself sooner, the cure was static IP addresses the other end of the scale for all my fixed devices at home. My excuse for not doing it sooner was lack of knowledge of the Kids Mac devices and actually getting my hands on said devices to give it a go.

Still you would have thought that Optus themselves would have told me the cure. They are still apparently oblivous to the mess which is their bleeding Sagem modem.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 12:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We still don't have it (thank god). We were given August originally, last I heard it would be another six months. All I hear from people around here is complaints about how slow it is and I like my current speed.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We still don't have it (thank god). We were given August originally, last I heard it would be another six months. All I hear from people around here is complaints about how slow it is and I like my current speed.
It's about to open here. FTTC. Technicians have been laying cables and digging stuff for months. Old area, massive complications underground and apparently and an old tram line which is heritage listed made the job a nightmare. Not sure how you can heritage list tram tracks which have been living under ground for 50 years. But there you go.

A few of the streets around have it and the local FB site has recently had a thread on it and everyone seems to consider it realiable and quick.

Some guy posted a 94MPS speed check the other day from his TPG connection so looks like they are getting close to their maximum.

Last edited by Beoz; Nov 9th 2018 at 6:09 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 8:53 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
In theory, by now, they should only be putting in FTTC, which will get to 100Mbps, unless you are in an area that will get HFC (hit and miss) or wireless/satellite (disaster).

Upshot is it's liable to be much fast netwise, the issue is your landline service (if you have one) changes significantly.

Eventually someone is going to have to go back and rip out all of Malcolm's FTTN as not fit for purpose - but they won't admit to having to bit that bullet yet.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
In theory, by now, they should only be putting in FTTC, which will get to 100Mbps, unless you are in an area that will get HFC (hit and miss) or wireless/satellite (disaster).

Upshot is it's liable to be much fast netwise, the issue is your landline service (if you have one) changes significantly.

Eventually someone is going to have to go back and rip out all of Malcolm's FTTN as not fit for purpose - but they won't admit to having to bit that bullet yet.
Thank heavens there was no wasted money on FTTN. Nearly all people are fine on ADSL and 5G will be with us soon and in the coming years will gradually replace fibre.

Very smart move Mal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.