British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   National Anthems (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/national-anthems-734956/)

rasen78 Oct 7th 2011 6:59 pm

National Anthems

Just been watching the NAs for the England V Montenegro match and once again, Rooney's mouth was shut tight for the NA (along with a couple of others)

This REALLY annoys me. Playing for your country is an honour and I do believe that if you aren't prepared to sing your NA, then you shouldn't play. In fact, if the players don't sing, then they shouldn't be allowed to play :frown::sneaky:

Or is it just me:blink:

odyssey Oct 7th 2011 7:51 pm

Re: National Anthems

They have to be nervous though. I agree that they should sing and make it part of their ritual but theres a huge amount of mental preparation and nerves associated and every person deals with that differently.

I know the national anthem very well but when I need to focus I am not sure a song would come easily to mind - especially not in welsh lol

soapy© Oct 7th 2011 9:43 pm

a lot of players dont believe they are playing for the queen

if it was anything other than god save the queen im sure they would all be singing. just my opinion though

renth Oct 7th 2011 9:57 pm

He probably doesn't know the words, dumb chav. I heard he was sent off too, what a knucklehead.

Anyway England needs its own national anthem just like Scotland has, and I presume Wales.

eddie007 Oct 8th 2011 12:54 am

He was humming the tune.....

Catchy, but remembering the words? Rooney? Nah... Dream on

eddie007 Oct 8th 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by soapy© (Post 9663640)
a lot of players dont believe they are playing for the queen

if it was anything other than god save the queen im sure they would all be singing. just my opinion though

They worship the mighty dollar... So perhaps a new version incorporating that...

God save our overblown, obscene salaries
God save our branded licence deals
Long may they remain (on our shirts)

SillyOldBag Oct 8th 2011 1:55 am

I think it's quite common though for players not to sing the national anthem, I've noticed it a fair bit in the rugby world cup which I'm being forced to watch :rofl: Listening to some of the anthems, I'm not surprised though!

commonwealth Oct 8th 2011 2:32 am

But God Save The Queen is also the Royal Anthem of Australia, New Zealand, Canada and many other countries... So it's like singing for the Commonwealth of Nations.

renth Oct 8th 2011 4:32 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 9663884)
But God Save The Queen is also the Royal Anthem of Australia, New Zealand, Canada and many other countries... So it's like singing for the Commonwealth of Nations.

What's that got to do with England?

chris955 Oct 8th 2011 8:26 am

Some sing it and some don't, it's nothing new really.

Bix Oct 8th 2011 9:42 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9664109)
Some sing it and some don't, it's nothing new really.

Agreed.
I prefer to see them singing it but don't think they mean anything bad by not participating.

BTW, nice to see you back.
We are definitely from different camps (as you know) but that is what makes the world tick. I don't like to see enforced holidays.

chris955 Oct 8th 2011 9:49 am

Yeah I think different players just focus in different ways, it's not disrespectful or anything else really.

Thanks, not everyone feels the way you do and I appreciate it. I agree, I consider them unnecessary if too one sided.

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 9664177)
Agreed.
I prefer to see them singing it but don't think they mean anything bad by not participating.

BTW, nice to see you back.
We are definitely from different camps (as you know) but that is what makes the world tick. I don't like to see enforced holidays.

moneypenny20 Oct 8th 2011 10:35 am

I think it's disrespectful. You have the honour of playing for your country. The National Anthem gets played, you sing along regardless of whether it's a crap song or not. End of. It should be Land of Hope and Glory imo.

chris955 Oct 8th 2011 11:28 am

Watch any game with any countries and some will be singing, some will be moving their mouths at more or less the right time and others wont be doing anything. It's not disrespectful, like I said players have different ways of building up to a game that's all.

moneypenny20 Oct 8th 2011 11:48 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9664284)
Watch any game with any countries and some will be singing, some will be moving their mouths at more or less the right time and others wont be doing anything. It's not disrespectful, like I said players have different ways of building up to a game that's all.

You don't think it is and I do. You're not wrong and neither am I. It's called an opinion. :rolleyes: