Wikiposts

nanny state or what

Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nanny state or what

I did think my nieces (who live in a similar area) were perhaps the victims of very underutilised maternity department, but apparently another set of new parents (baby born Nov 2010) said they had the same.

These are new recommendations after Baby P fiasco. Sledgehammer>nut?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:23 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why do most cyclists ignore red traffic lights?
Not any I know.

But I could hazard a guess.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I like the cycling on pavements thing. I wish Vic was a laissez-faire as Qld on this. Obviously I wouldn't ride on a pavement full pedestrians but it good to keep away from nutjobs who get upset because you've shortened their wait at the next set of red lights.
I loathe the fact that most cyclists in Brisbane use pavements. I've been sworn at by cyclists before now who've told me to get off the pavement and use the road....I always thought pedestrians had right of way on pavements but apparently not round here. Even raised the subject at work and people here seem to think that pedestrians should give way to cyclists when on pavements. Makes no sense to me, but thats nothing new with the Aussie way of life.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:40 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I loathe the fact that most cyclists in Brisbane use pavements. I've been sworn at by cyclists before now who've told me to get off the pavement and use the road....I always thought pedestrians had right of way on pavements but apparently not round here. Even raised the subject at work and people here seem to think that pedestrians should give way to cyclists when on pavements. Makes no sense to me, but thats nothing new with the Aussie way of life.
I understand what you say. There are dickheads on bikes just as there are dickheads in cars. Personally I hate blinged up peletons. They're just the cycling equivalent of street racers. Same dickheads different vehicles.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I had a look and it looks like you don't need a licence to be a second hand car sales man in the UK but you do need trade insurance.

I'll give you that one. And raise you licences to move animals.
Several reasons for animal movement licence Inc foot and mouth disease
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:06 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Well everyone complains about the nanny state in Oz, but I have to assume some of that is because when living in UK, you tend to forget/accept nannyish decisions.

1) government are holding 'an urgent investigation" into gruffa rufa fish'....the ones which nibble dead skin off your feet. So the world is falling apart, unemployment is at an all time high, but this is one of the most pressing issues.

2) My 30 year old niece is pregnant. Married, works, lives in normal house. Apparently midwives give a list of stuff you need for a new baby and come and check you have it and set up properly. They also check after the baby is born to ensure you did not just borrow it. You also have to have a baby basket set up in your bedroom as the baby has to sleep in parents room for the first 8 weeks of life.
We had our only child in Aus and the only thing which was checked was that we had a car seat. I guess they assume you know what you are doing in Aus.

This was just to highlight that both countries do stupid ' you are too thick to manage without the government looking over your shoulder' policies.
When my daughter was born in the UK, nearly 3 years ago, nobody gave me a list of stuff to have nor came to check our house. My son was born in Sydney, 7 weeks ago, and we have had a visit from the early childhood centre woman (as is normal here), which included a check on our sleeping arrangements. Both the UK and Aus advise (it is not a requirement) that the baby sleeps in the parents' room for the first six months.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
. Both the UK and Aus advise (it is not a requirement) that the baby sleeps in the parents' room for the first six months.
My niece said that the midwife actually checked the room and that they had a cot/moses basket which would fit in the space. I thought she was joking- but no.
They also want to meet your partner (what if you are a single mum?) and talk to him separately.
Definitely did not do that in Aus- don't think Mr P ever met my maternal child health nurse.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:01 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Hebe
Several reasons for animal movement licence Inc foot and mouth disease
I know why they're there. My parents are farmers. Although I understand why they were introduced the poor and overbearing bureaucracy is staggering.

I suspect that there are several reasons why Aus car dealers are licensed.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

My niece said that the midwife actually checked the room and that they had a cot/moses basket which would fit in the space. I thought she was joking- but no.
They also want to meet your partner (what if you are a single mum?) and talk to him separately.
Definitely did not do that in Aus- don't think Mr P ever met my maternal child health nurse.
They wanted to meet Mr Plant here too....apparently domestic violence is RIFE in the affluent burbs...
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:04 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

See, I don't get the point of anywhere checking you have space for a moses basket; we've never owned one. Bloody waste of time and space to my mind.

My antenatal appointments over here included sending Mr GG out of the room while the midwife asked me if he knocked me about. Which is about the most stupid thing they could do. What if he did (he doesn't)? It wouldn't take a genius for the bloke to figure out what the partner and midwife were chatting about. What the ramifications could be I dread to think ... I'm not saying they shouldn't ask the question, but is that the best approach?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:08 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

See, I don't get the point of anywhere checking you have space for a moses basket; we've never owned one. Bloody waste of time and space to my mind.

My antenatal appointments over here included sending Mr GG out of the room while the midwife asked me if he knocked me about. Which is about the most stupid thing they could do. What if he did (he doesn't)? It wouldn't take a genius for the bloke to figure out what the partner and midwife were chatting about. What the ramifications could be I dread to think ... I'm not saying they shouldn't ask the question, but is that the best approach?
Did she ask wether YOU knocked HIM about
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:09 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Did she ask wether YOU knocked HIM about
Aye. But I'd already given him a slap and told him to keep quiet or he'd cop it when we got home.

Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:11 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Aye. But I'd already given him a slap and told him to keep quiet or he'd cop it when we got home.

Fair shout
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest. Has anyone been stopped for jaywalking in Melbourne?
It's quite common.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest. Has anyone been stopped for jaywalking in Melbourne?
What about getting fined for not wearing a bicycle helmet in Vic?

Or getting fined for drinking beer (any alcoholic drink) outside a pub in Melbourne while standing up. (council by-law states must be seated)?

How about a fine for having a dangly thing (fluffy dice/ air fresherner etc) hanging from your rear view mirror in your car?

How about a fine for having elbow resting on window sill of car while driving?

I could go on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.