Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Name thi Lizard.....

Wikiposts

Name thi Lizard.....

Old Oct 18th 2007, 1:15 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Name thi Lizard.....

We found this tonight by the trampoline - hiding under one of the lounger cushions.

I think it's a Bobtail.

We live in suburban 'legoland' so we were quite surprised to see him

I had to phone a friend to find out whether he was dangerous or not

Jules x
Attached Thumbnails Name thi Lizard.....-lizard.jpg  
Old Oct 18th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Name thi Lizard.....

Originally Posted by julesandco
We found this tonight by the trampoline - hiding under one of the lounger cushions.

I think it's a Bobtail.

Jules x
Looks like one of those Blue Tongue lizards...saw one at Manly Aquarium
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

I think it's a Bobtail.

Jules x

Its a Blue Tongue Bobtail we have one in our garden also. Normally quite harmless but may hiss if frightened. They can bite and don't let go when they do, but usually only when provoked. Their diet is usually snails slugs and other bugs. If you don't have dogs let him stay. We are going to try to catch ours and relocate him to bush land as we don't want our dogs to kill it
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:17 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

I think it's a Bobtail.

Jules x
Sharon opened the front door the other day & nearly stepped on one she screamed & nearly s**t herself, scuse the expression! she thought it was a snake at first, they are funny looking things aren't they

Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Didn't know they could bite...I was quite happily stroking one.... Think they said that they can be different colours depending on the terrain....they can lose their tails and regrow a new one too I think.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:55 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dennis The Menace
Its a Blue Tongue Bobtail we have one in our garden also. Normally quite harmless but may hiss if frightened. They can bite and don't let go when they do, but usually only when provoked. Their diet is usually snails slugs and other bugs. If you don't have dogs let him stay. We are going to try to catch ours and relocate him to bush land as we don't want our dogs to kill it
We do have a dog, but he's kept round the other part of the garden, so he should be OK. We've loads of snails though, so I really hope he enjoys munching through them!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 11:40 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone ID this one?

It's made a new home around the pool. We've had to fish it out a couple of times with the pool skimmer.
Attached Thumbnails Name thi Lizard.....-030.jpg  
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

I think it's a Bobtail.

Jules x
It's a bobtail. I have had 2 drowned in my pool in the past few weeks.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dennis The Menace
Yup, they are good to have, supposedly keep the snakes away, we have them in our garden but they don't swim to well, one fell in the pool yesterday and while the skin is pretty tough and heavy it doesn't help them float..As the above post said, stay at the tail end and don't poke them in the mouth.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:32 pm
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's a Bobtail.

Jules x
Here's our friend the blue-tongue who has a lovely looking 'mate' just like the one in your photo. They are out sunbathing on the path most days now - did scare me when I first saw its head poking out from a beneath a tree though, it looked just like a snake!
Attached Thumbnails Name thi Lizard.....-australia-170.jpg  
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:36 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Can anyone ID this one?

It's made a new home around the pool. We've had to fish it out a couple of times with the pool skimmer.
That one looks like a skink ... they are harmless
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:53 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I figured it may have been something like that. We were pretty sure they were harmless but it doesn't hurt to double check!

Good thing too because we have at least a couple of them living in our yard.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by comet555
I figured it may have been something like that. We were pretty sure they were harmless but it doesn't hurt to double check!

Good thing too because we have at least a couple of them living in our yard.
Our Bobtails have taken to kamikazi attempts to learn how to swim, had three dead in the pool in the last three days and rescued another one this morning.. any idea how to discourage them from doing this?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:25 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by chrispy
Our Bobtails have taken to kamikazi attempts to learn how to swim, had three dead in the pool in the last three days and rescued another one this morning.. any idea how to discourage them from doing this?
No idea. I know there's a product to keep ducks off, but I doubt there's anything lizard type creatures.

We just have the one that hangs around the pool area. We know it's the same one because part of the tail is missing.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrispy
I have put a large saucer from a pot plant and keep this filled with water near the pool in the hope I get no more drowned in my pool, not sure whether it's worked or coincidence I haven't had any more drowned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.