Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Myra Hindley/Ian Brady

Wikiposts

Myra Hindley/Ian Brady

Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Myra Hindley/Ian Brady

Morning all,

Did any of you see the document on Foxtel (CI Channel) last night on Myra Hindley and Ian Brady.

Being 34, I grew up in the west country and as a child remember being quite scared of that now infamous photo if Myra Hindley, when reporters would tell us she was the face of evil and i associated her with it, and Brady looking like a mad man. The moors murderers actually took place about 10 years before I was born but was a constant media attraction and then in mid eighties came to the forfront again due to finding more childrens bodies.

Although I knew their crimes were evil and sickening I didnt ever see anything that really discussed the topic until last night.

I now understand why this one has stayed in the spotlight for so many years and how horrific the whole ordeal was for everyone involved. The mothers of the children were interviewed and were all clearly completely broken as a result of what happened.

Whilst there has been some crimes (and probably much going on undetected) such as fritzl etc in recent years, this was a dark time indeed.

Beggers belief there was ever even murmours of Myra getting parole..
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Myra Hindley/Ian Brady

Originally Posted by Sherro
Morning all,

Did any of you see the document on Foxtel (CI Channel) last night on Myra Hindley and Ian Brady.

Being 34, I grew up in the west country and as a child remember being quite scared of that now infamous photo if Myra Hindley, when reporters would tell us she was the face of evil and i associated her with it, and Brady looking like a mad man. The moors murderers actually took place about 10 years before I was born but was a constant media attraction and then in mid eighties came to the forfront again due to finding more childrens bodies.

Although I knew their crimes were evil and sickening I didnt ever see anything that really discussed the topic until last night.

I now understand why this one has stayed in the spotlight for so many years and how horrific the whole ordeal was for everyone involved. The mothers of the children were interviewed and were all clearly completely broken as a result of what happened.

Whilst there has been some crimes (and probably much going on undetected) such as fritzl etc in recent years, this was a dark time indeed.

Beggers belief there was ever even murmours of Myra getting parole..
She is dead mate, been dead for 7 years! He won't ever get out as he completely mentally deranged!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
She is dead mate, been dead for 7 years! He won't ever get out as he completely mentally deranged!
yeah I know that, I was referring to the speculation in the nineties she might get.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
yeah I know that, I was referring to the speculation in the nineties she might get.
It wouldn't have ever happened. The backlash would have been too much for the government to deal with.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:28 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Like you, I grew up knowing little of the Moors Murders beyond those photos. I only heard the detail a year or so ago and it was truly sickening. A bit like the Bulger case, it's one of those crimes which deeply affects most of those who are aware of it.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually grew up in the area where the kids were taken from and at the same time... while truly terrible their crimes were no worse than had happened before or since... the reason they stuck so firmly in the public conscious was one reason, and one that seems really odd now... it was because they taped it.

They used a new, fangled, tape recorder and that meant people could hear what happened... and that was a first.... and that's why they became so infamous.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I actually grew up in the area where the kids were taken from and at the same time... while truly terrible their crimes were no worse than had happened before or since... the reason they stuck so firmly in the public conscious was one reason, and one that seems really odd now... it was because they taped it.

They used a new, fangled, tape recorder and that meant people could hear what happened... and that was a first.... and that's why they became so infamous.
And that it involved a woman who was complicit.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
It wouldn't have ever happened. The backlash would have been too much for the government to deal with.
Absolutely correct. You've hit the nail on the head. A few years ago on a UK/Oz flight I sat next to the head of the probation service in the UK. We had a fascinating conversation about such people and parole etc. She was on the on in charge when the Bulger murderers were released. Anyway we talked about Myra and she said she was absolutely the safest person in any UK prison to be eligible for release. Served her time (more than most murderers) and under "normal" rules would have been paroled years ago. But no Home Secretary would ever sign off on it - political suicide, so she died in custody.

Talking to that women was fascinating and certainly gave a very different angle on such matters than the usual inflammatry emotional arguments. Would definitely recommend flying with her again!