Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are my views 'out dated'?

Are my views 'out dated'?

Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:52 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are my views 'out dated'?

Originally Posted by renth
Fine, so long as the female isn't my daughter.
Exactly what my hubby said
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Infinitely better and far less destructive than serial monogamy. Which tends to hurt plenty of people around those involved at break up stage. Very strong views personally on this.

Hence I'll put my hand up and say, I'd much prefer my daughters to carry on like this until they were absolutely and definitely certain of a partner.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 25th 2013 at 12:16 am.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:13 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Just felt the need to ask this question.... I always thought I would be a progressive thinking parent but recently felt that this is not the case....

So - one night stands - ok? No cheating involved - free single young folk...Is it different and more acceptable for a bloke or a woman?

Your views please.
Should be the same, but society generally labels the man "jack the lad" or "ladies man" depending on his class, and the woman a slapper, irrespective of class.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I don't think a persons sex life would affect how a family member might be perceived by other people.

I would be more concerned for the welfare of the person having casual sex than the person who worries about how it might make them look.
Agree - but if my sons and daughters were demonstrably worse than their peers...across the board...

Originally Posted by Zen10
Should be the same, but society generally labels the man "jack the lad" or "ladies man" depending on his class, and the woman a slapper, irrespective of class.
The reality is that attractive people meet attractive people and occasionally sparks fly.

With age and experience (ha!) I would say that do your thing but be reasonably discreet. It's still a fact that women are more likely to be judged so be careful but it takes 2 etc. I personally would be more miffed that my daughters would be making themselves ill with over indulgence if it all involved excess across the board...etc.

With age and experience (ha!) when you meet that partner of your dreams all previous fade to nothing...and that the old fashioned advice sort of rings true...but that's easy for me to say!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:24 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agree - but if my sons and daughters were demonstrably worse than their peers...across the board...

The reality is that attractive people meet attractive people and occasionally sparks fly.

With age and experience (ha!) I would say that do your thing but be reasonably discreet. It's still a fact that women are more likely to be judged so be careful but it takes 2 etc. I personally would be more miffed that my daughters would be making themselves ill with over indulgence if it all involved excess across the board...etc.

With age and experience (ha!) when you meet that partner of your dreams all previous fade to nothing...and that the old fashioned advice sort of rings true...but that's easy for me to say!
I'm not a great believer in the true love partner of your dreams stuff, sorry...
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I'm not a great believer in the true love partner of your dreams stuff, sorry...
I am...cos it happened to me. What I mean is that, it was all worth it!
And that sometimes its worth telling your daughter or sons that pure excess (across the board) does not bring happiness....
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:36 am
Banned

And that sometimes its worth telling your daughter or sons that pure excess (across the board) does not bring happiness....
Ah, but you can never know if it happened to you because there are billions of other women out there, any one of whom could be another "one". Agree about the excess though. But refuse to fall into the category of people who say "in my day..."
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

I think coming from a very small (minded) community what a close friend/family member does seems to reflect on others.

When one person in our town slept with a few men (married men) then her sister was also classed as 'a bit easy with the loving' - just because one woman liked to behave that way - others presumed the sibling was the same.

I am not saying I agree with this but I acknowledge that it is what happens.

And yes concern for safety was one of my main concerns. Not just safety as in protection but in personal safety and also if the decison was made under the influence of alcohol.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.... Total agreement. Watch how you feel after the encounter etc.

Conversely it's also why some of the best and surprisingly successful marriages are those to people that others regarded as "the Town bike" etc etc. The otherside of the coin being the most destructive break up's being those involving "Childhood sweethearts"
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Do guggit people not have one night stands then?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
Do guggit people not have one night stands then?
Heh I wonder if they do as often ? I'd be amazed if they did eh ?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Heh I wonder if they do as often ? I'd be amazed if they did eh ?
Well there's the age old story where one half of the tryst miraculously becomes guggit overnight!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:11 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

No harm in it as long as all aspects of safety are ensured............ie someone knows of whereabouts, condoms etc

Also that the behaviour is not covering an unmet need or emotional problem.

Have fun whilst you are young.....

...and yes girls will always get a bad name doing this and guys a 'stud' status......unfair I reckon.

but having said all that and knowing what I was like ...ask me again when my kids are sexually active

Jan
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
No harm in it as long as all aspects of safety are ensured............ie someone knows of whereabouts, condoms etc
Yes, very important to know where the condoms are
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
Also that the behaviour is not covering an unmet need or emotional problem.
Nail on head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.