Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

My take on the election results

Wikiposts

My take on the election results

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My take on the election results

Originally Posted by fish.01
Sure, but if preferential voting didn't exist, alliances and voting patterns would be different. Not sure that I could agree that when many people went "further" left in their voting, labor to greens, that they really meant to go far right. The reason preferential voting was introduced was so the conservative vote was not split. Can't spit the dummy now
Not a big fan of the two party preferred system but the result was better than I had expected so I am happy about it. Interesting week ahead.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Not a big fan of the two party preferred system but the result was better than I had expected so I am happy about it. Interesting week ahead.
Good to see your Julia didn't do as bad as you feared
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Good to see your Julia didn't do as bad as you feared

Now i'm looking forward to the next assassination.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Steady on....I think he's an immoral control freak but I don't want him rubbed out
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Looking at the numbers now there are probably quite a few in Melbourne who wish they'd given their first preference to Labor...as as fish implied, the last thing they probably intented was to put Abbott in the 73+3 position.
Is this a pro Victoria (ie. Gillard ) anti Never Spend Wisely /NSW (Abbot )thing or
do Victorians really believe Labors far right spiel (NSW Labor again ie . we can spend all this money but it wont cost you )
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

Putting aside the tree hugging cliches, I'd say a lot of people in Melbourne probably voted for the Greens on the basis of their stance on non-environmental issues...asylum seekers, same-sex relationship recognition etc.
Exactly! Neither of the majors are socially liberal enough for people in Melbourne.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:34 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
What confused me was that even after the catastrophic devastation of the Victorian bushfires Victorians sought to elect a Green MP when the green policies of other parties resulted in a failure to be able to clear & back burn & implement hazard reduction burning programs.
Maybe they are of the belief that the bush fires were caused by climate change and if said climate change were addressed that this would help

Fooked if I know

But FWIT here in Vic we seem to have a very good public health system (if some other states posters are anything to go by) our state schools (on the whole) are decent. Our public transport isn't the best, but its fairly easy to use. Maybe its a case of better the devil you know? But again, fooked if I know
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzExpat
Exactly! Neither of the majors are socially liberal enough for people in Melbourne.
I disagree with this. Melbourne went to the Greens via protest votes against Labor. I don't think Green social policies had anything to do with it.

Asylum seekers issue in Melb is by and large irrelevant as it may be a million miles away and as for the gay marriage issue, well Sydney has a much larger gay population and that didn't install the Greens in Sydney. I think gay marriage is largely a non-issue with a very small, very vocal minority wanting it.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:54 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with this. Melbourne went to the Greens via protest votes against Labor. I don't think Green social policies had anything to do with it.

Asylum seekers issue in Melb is by and large irrelevant as it may be a million miles away and as for the gay marriage issue, well Sydney has a much larger gay population and that didn't install the Greens in Sydney. I think gay marriage is largely a non-issue with a very small, very vocal minority wanting it.
Think you're spot on in your first paragraph. I have nothing against gay marriage, but it wasn't high up on my policy that matters to me part of my vote....
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

News.com.au reckon there'll be another election in a few weeks, because this one is a draw.

Now what is the point of that, it'll be a draw again obviously. My personal theory (and if labour had any sense), is that labor ditch Gillard and bring Rudd back.

I'm not a Rudd fan by the way, but I think it would be such a game changing tactic, he would sweep up queensland votes.

Having a re-run election with the same 2 leaders is pointless. Same result, don't like either.

JTL

Edit: Actually, the LNP should also bring Malcolm Turnball back for the next election, so it would be a Rudd v Turnball election. Now that would be interesting.

Last edited by JackTheLad; Aug 22nd 2010 at 2:37 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
News.com.au reckon there'll be another election in a few weeks, because this one is a draw.

Now what is the point of that, it'll be a draw again obviously. My personal theory (and if labour had any sense), is that labor ditch Gillard and bring Rudd back.

I'm not a Rudd fan by the way, but I think it would be such a game changing tactic, he would sweep up queensland votes.

Having a re-run election with the same 2 leaders is pointless. Same result, don't like either.

JTL

Edit: Actually, the LNP should also bring Malcolm Turnball back for the next election, so it would be a Rudd v Turnball election. Now that would be interesting.
If they got rid of Gillard so soon and brought back Rudd what would that say about Labor stability and their ability to run a govt. if they can;t even make up their minds.

As for Turnbull. No, he wouldn't do better than Abbott. Turnbull, while very capable, is just not a politician. He would be best placed as finance minister or similar.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:14 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Rudd had a 9% swing against him in his own Qld seat...hardly a show of solidarity from Qld'ers.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

Love the way its turned into lets have a replay, like sport so oz.

You would think any country, for its own good, would want this sorted quickly, yet it could drag on for weeks with the postal votes etc.

Bored already
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Rudd had a 9% swing against him in his own Qld seat...hardly a show of solidarity from Qld'ers.
Funny how australias 'most popular' PM ran out of steam the minute the cash handouts stopped.

I dont like Rudd, never did, hes just waiting now for some plum overseas post/position now, for all his try hard aussie crap, he will be outta this country like a shot if he can get a nice little number OS.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

As for Turnbull. No, he wouldn't do better than Abbott. Turnbull, while very capable, is just not a politician. He would be best placed as finance minister or similar.

But he seems like a decent bloke. And with his own personal millions in his back pocket, he has no reason to rort.

That is the contest I'd like to see, Rudd versus Turnbull. I don't care about Gillard as I have to turn the volume off when she starts speaking. Her accent drives me up the wall.

Rudd looks like the geek who got to become the bully for a while.

And turnbull just looks like a PM.

But no doubt we'll end up with some nutter of an independant holding the swing of power. It is Australia after all, got to have nutters in power

JTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.