My Spider....

Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Spider....

Times like this you need a bloody big lizard to come along and let nature take its course
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:10 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
No... do you think I should?
'Hello? Hi... yes, I have 200 orphans in my house for Christmas. Yes, their mother just died and I can't move the body. It's too difficult. Yes, 200. Tiny babies really... only a couple of days old... I'm having a bit of trouble coping to be honest.....'
No keep them...........you might be able to claim that $1k per child Rudd handout
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:11 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walaj
No keep them...........you might be able to claim that $1k per child Rudd handout
That's some serious muller!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by penky
Can't you just transfer them to you and you can carry them round on ya
I'm thinking about it, but I hear they run everywhere if they panic.

Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:46 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penky
Can't you just transfer them to you and you can carry them round on ya
Right that it! I'm gonna puke. I have been brave and gone along with it, but you just crossed the line....
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:16 am

Spider update!

I was worried for them without their mother but they've got it sorted.

They ate her.

And now, they're leaving home. They're all round the coving in the lounge room on their way out.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:07 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Spider update!

They ate her.

And now, they're leaving home. They're all round the coving in the lounge room on their way out.
Waste not want not I guess.

Are you going to let them all live in your house or will you show them the door?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:31 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

They ate her.

i am sure there must be a witty reply to this but after a couple of glasses of wine i just cant think of it!

you are going to be finding spiders all over your house for weeks!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Waste not want not I guess.

Are you going to let them all live in your house or will you show them the door?
They're cute tiny huntsmans which are finding their own way out. I'll leave the door for them.

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
i am sure there must be a witty reply to this but after a couple of glasses of wine i just cant think of it!

you are going to be finding spiders all over your house for weeks!
Quite possibly. Tonight I found a female funnelweb on the carpet and put it outside. Three years ago I would have had a hissy fit and sprayed it to kingdom come... I'm much more benevolent these days.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

I hope we'll get to OZ in time for the first birthdays/ first anniversary of death
by birth. ( whichever came first). Maybe they will be ...hm....not good at maths....multiply by 200...and accounting for males with low sperm count...
possibly 35.000 new little spiders running around. You 'll have to get a bigger house!

Mrs Ozbaz,
lover of all animals except ladybirds and anything that crunches underfoot
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Tez and Daz will become famous soon enoughTez and Daz will become famous soon enough

Spider update!

They ate her.

Ha Ha, love it, thanks for keeping us all updated. I too save all the little (and big) spiders that find there way in, though saying that as far as I know none of them have been harmfull!!!!! I will probably learn the hard way one day!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

The dead mother is usually their first meal. They will not live together, if you tried they would soon be eating each other and you would end up with one big one.

Funnel web and red back spiders are prevalent where I live, I could send you some if you'd like something really interesting to study.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

This spider was also featured in Life in the Undergrowth, its one of the many St George’s Cross spiders. You might be able to see another similar but very much smaller spider nearby, this is not a baby, it’s the male. The male has to be very careful because the female has a habit of eating them after mating, in fact it is very rare for a male to survive, they keep coming back for more, the female decides when enough is enough and then wraps them up in a cocoon that is added to her larder for future use.

When you see a cobweb nest of this type, panic! The spider that makes it is found all over the world and is mainly dangerous. The antivenom did not become available until1956. This one is on my garage door and is about 18 months old. There is another one on the other side of the door, when they expand their territory one will probably eat the other. The one in the next picture is the largest at the moment.

We call this the Red Back (Latrodectus mactans hasselti), in North America it’s called the Black Widow (Latrodectus arthropoda chelicera) and is described as their most venomous spider being fifteen times as toxic as the venom of the prairie rattlesnake. South Africans call it a Koppie Spider, Kiwis a Night Stinger, Russians a Karakurt and in Europe a Malmignatte; it is also found in South America with many different names. We also have another relative, the smaller Brown Widow (Latrodectus geometricus). I haven’t been able to find any record of it in the United Kingdom.

The experts so far have not agreed on very much about these spiders, each version having several very different taxonomic names; if you ask half a dozen of them for advice you will more than likely get six different answers. I chose the taxonomic names used by both Brisbane and Melbourne Universities. Some experts cannot agree if they are all the same species, a few insist that they are not. In about 1960 some cross breeding was attempted in New Zealand, they were unable to produce any fertile young, this alone could mean that genetic isolation had inhibited fertile young rather than species difference. The definition of the same species is something that is able to breed and produce fertile young.

There is even some doubt as to whether this is a native species or was it introduced. By 1870 about 200 different species of spider had been recorded in Australia but no Red Backs, suddenly they were being recorded all over the place, the first ones near to the Queensland ports. They are now quite prolific all over the country and one theory is that if they were around in the same numbers prior to 1870 they surely would have been recorded. DNA analysis may one day answer this question; someone just needs a grant to do it.

This is a Stick Spider of the family tetragnathidae. I've been watching out for this one for a while because it is rather unusual. Its back is a silver colour and looks almost like cooking foil, it helps to reflect the heat. Most of the time these spiders stay in the shade but I disturbed it when pruning, I only had a short time to get a picture because it was getting distressed and I had to return it to the trees.

It is only recently that it was found that this spider belonged to a new family tetragnathidae rather than the more common araneidae. Its unusual features are that it bites first then wraps its prey later. Like most spiders this one has eight eyes but these are organised in two rows, most other spiders have one or two very big eyes and the others can be almost anywhere around their head, the positioning is often used to identify them. This spider builds a horizontal web which is quite open in the centre, most spiders have a dense centre to their near vertical webs.

Last edited by NigelWaring; Dec 21st 2008 at 8:44 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
The dead mother is usually their first meal. They will not live together, if you tried they would soon be eating each other and you would end up with one big one.
I'd read that the mother carries the babies around for a few weeks with huntsmen spiders. So I'm not sure she dies in all cases... ?

Fab post Nigel. I like the St George's Cross spiders. Got quite a few photos of them, as they're very pretty. I like the silver one! Never seen one of those before.

Don't have any redbacks here, though did at my last house.... they seemed happy to be left alone though.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:09 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd read that the mother carries the babies around for a few weeks with huntsmen spiders. So I'm not sure she dies in all cases... ?

Fab post Nigel. I like the St George's Cross spiders. Got quite a few photos of them, as they're very pretty. I like the silver one! Never seen one of those before.

Don't have any redbacks here, though did at my last house.... they seemed happy to be left alone though.
We have loads of redbacks, found one drowned in my dogs water bowl outside last week.

Hoping pest control can spray the house ASAP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.