Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Wikiposts

My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:22 am
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Default Re: My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
How much do you have to pay?
£126.50 for the year but my work pays for mine..along with giving me a cottage rent free..and pays for the water, and the phone, free logs for the fire...oh I love my job....
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:33 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Default Re: My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
How much do you have to pay?
too ******* much.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:39 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carkedit
most Aussies are stunned when you mention tv licences..my mates find it hard to believe we have to pay for a licence to watch tv.
Americans tend to think you're winding them up when you mention this to them. However, I find that most people who whinge about having to pay for a TV license think nothing of paying several times more than £126 a year for their cable/satellite TV subscription. If you view the TV license as a subscription fee for terrestrial TV then it starts to look like pretty good value.

I would be happily pay £126 a year if I could get BBC1&2, ITV and Channel 4 (could do without channel 5) in the USA, and I suspect a great number of other expats would as well.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hello
In Australia there is no such thing as a pizza restaurant - just take away and delivery.
Your pal should get out more....Melbourne has streets full of Pizza restaurants and nice ones too!!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:29 pm
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

Just a few observations:

We have Pizza restaurants in Australia, we have free delivery as well, although they reduce the price for picking up yourself.
Parking in the UK gets ticketed just as much as Oz.
We payed for a TV licence in the UK...yes, but TV here is so poor you really need sat or cable here, especially for proper sport like 'proper' footy.
The fish and chip shops in Ipswich sold burgers. But burgers are better here in Oz.
Our company pays for 3 months maternity at full pay with the option of a further 9 months unpaid. No free cold drinks though, just coffee, tea and water.

TBEB

Hello

Our friend from Queensland has just been staying with us for a few days here in the UK. I thought I'd share some of her observations with you guys, the way she said them, with no bias from me!!!

- She is surprised that we have Pizza Hut restaurants. In Australia there is no such thing as a pizza restaurant - just take away and delivery. Oh, and the delivery charge for a pizza is $5, not free like in the UK.
- She is amazed at the way people park in the UK. Apparently in Oz you would get ticketted if you parked the way people do here.
- She is amazed by offers in the supermarkets like buy one get one free, or buy 3 for the price of 2. Nothing like that in Oz.
- We have to pay for a TV licence????
- Can't believe how early it gets dark in winter.
- Why doesn't the fish and chip shop sell burgers?
- You can't get a good burger in the UK. Burgers in Oz have beetroot in them.
- impressed by the fact that I get free cold drinks at my work. At her work the company provides tea and coffee but you have to bring your own mug.
- impressed that my wife, who is on maternity leave, it still treated as an employee and still gets holiday pay, health insurance etc. Apparently in Oz women on maternity leave get nothing.
- and finally, and the most important one, doesn't reckon the judges should have a say on who gets voted off on X factor.

OK guys, over to you!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:04 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

in a way we do pay a tv 'license' fee in oz, it's just that it's rolled up in income tax. who do you think pays for the abc?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:58 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hello

Cheers

Buzzy
I couldn't believe how dark it was by 8pm in the Summer (Perth)..I love it here in the summer, still light'ish' around 10pm
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Just FWIW re drug use - on lunchtime news in UK today. The UK has the highest rate of drug usage in Europe (eg 12% of 18 to 34 year olds use cocaine) and UK consumption levels of drugs in general are just behind USA. (It didn't mention Australian levels)

OzTennis
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

annajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura about

Foreign country in different to home shocker!!!

Is this the first time she's ever been out of Australia? Sounds like it!!

The mug provision within the workplace is the best one of all - does she really think every single employee has to take their own mug to work?

Must have been some interesting conversations on the go by the sounds of it....

Hello

Our friend from Queensland has just been staying with us for a few days here in the UK. I thought I'd share some of her observations with you guys, the way she said them, with no bias from me!!!

- She is surprised that we have Pizza Hut restaurants. In Australia there is no such thing as a pizza restaurant - just take away and delivery. Oh, and the delivery charge for a pizza is $5, not free like in the UK.
- She is amazed at the way people park in the UK. Apparently in Oz you would get ticketted if you parked the way people do here.
- She is amazed by offers in the supermarkets like buy one get one free, or buy 3 for the price of 2. Nothing like that in Oz.
- We have to pay for a TV licence????
- Why doesn't the fish and chip shop sell burgers?
- You can't get a good burger in the UK. Burgers in Oz have beetroot in them.
- impressed by the fact that I get free cold drinks at my work. At her work the company provides tea and coffee but you have to bring your own mug.
- impressed that my wife, who is on maternity leave, it still treated as an employee and still gets holiday pay, health insurance etc. Apparently in Oz women on maternity leave get nothing.
- and finally, and the most important one, doesn't reckon the judges should have a say on who gets voted off on X factor.

OK guys, over to you!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbeb
Just a few observations:

We have Pizza restaurants in Australia, we have free delivery as well, although they reduce the price for picking up yourself.
We payed for a TV licence in the UK...yes, but TV here is so poor you really need sat or cable here, especially for proper sport like 'proper' footy.
The fish and chip shops in Ipswich sold burgers. But burgers are better here in Oz.
Our company pays for 3 months maternity at full pay with the option of a further 9 months unpaid. No free cold drinks though, just coffee, tea and water.

TBEB
we never found any 'pizza hut' type restaurants but there were plenty of pizza places. I think it all depends on where you live. Why do they put beetroot in burgers?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:11 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annajw
Foreign country in different to home shocker!!!

Is this the first time she's ever been out of Australia? Sounds like it!!

The mug provision within the workplace is the best one of all - does she really think every single employee has to take their own mug to work?

What dialect is this post writtten in-it makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbeb
Just a few observations:

TBEB
oh and we have free water at work, have to pay for tea coffee etc. No difference really.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:13 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annajw

What an odd sentence.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Stuff the Pizza's what are the kebab shops like?!?!!?!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

annajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura about

Your friend has flown over 10,000 miles to discuss:

Mug usage in the workplace
Supermarkets 2 for 1 deals
Seating provision (or lack of) at Pizza Hut
The lack of hamburgers at chip shops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.