Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Wikiposts

My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Hello

Our friend from Queensland has just been staying with us for a few days here in the UK. I thought I'd share some of her observations with you guys, the way she said them, with no bias from me!!!

- She is surprised that we have Pizza Hut restaurants. In Australia there is no such thing as a pizza restaurant - just take away and delivery. Oh, and the delivery charge for a pizza is $5, not free like in the UK.
- She is amazed at the way people park in the UK. Apparently in Oz you would get ticketted if you parked the way people do here.
- She is amazed by offers in the supermarkets like buy one get one free, or buy 3 for the price of 2. Nothing like that in Oz.
- We have to pay for a TV licence????
- Can't believe how early it gets dark in winter.
- Why doesn't the fish and chip shop sell burgers?
- You can't get a good burger in the UK. Burgers in Oz have beetroot in them.
- impressed by the fact that I get free cold drinks at my work. At her work the company provides tea and coffee but you have to bring your own mug.
- impressed that my wife, who is on maternity leave, it still treated as an employee and still gets holiday pay, health insurance etc. Apparently in Oz women on maternity leave get nothing.
- and finally, and the most important one, doesn't reckon the judges should have a say on who gets voted off on X factor.

OK guys, over to you!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:14 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hello

Our friend from Queensland has just been staying with us for a few days here in the UK. I thought I'd share some of her observations with you guys, the way she said them, with no bias from me!!!

- She is surprised that we have Pizza Hut restaurants. In Australia there is no such thing as a pizza restaurant - just take away and delivery. Oh, and the delivery charge for a pizza is $5, not free like in the UK.
- She is amazed at the way people park in the UK. Apparently in Oz you would get ticketted if you parked the way people do here.
- She is amazed by offers in the supermarkets like buy one get one free, or buy 3 for the price of 2. Nothing like that in Oz.
- impressed by the fact that I get free cold drinks at my work. At her work the company provides tea and coffee but you have to bring your own mug.
- impressed that my wife, who is on maternity leave, it still treated as an employee and still gets holiday pay, health insurance etc. Apparently in Oz women on maternity leave get nothing.
- and finally, and the most important one, doesn't reckon the judges should have a say on who gets voted off on X factor.

Cheers

Buzzy

I got a ticket for parking my car against the flow of the traffic on a dead end rd
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Hello

Cheers

Buzzy
All Pizza Huts here used to be restaurants once. There still are some - but most have converted to delivery/take-away only. Pizza Hut don't charge for delivery as such - they just charge less per pizza if you pick-up.

And don't get me started on pizza prices in the UK - I had to pay 30 POUNDS for one large, one medium and one small pizza delivered in southern Hampshire! (And it was a disgusting Dominos) A similar deal here would have been around $20.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Hello

Cheers

Buzzy
My nearest Pizzahut has tables & chairs but I wouldn't call it a restaurant. You order your food boxed and can sit down and eat it.

I understand TV in Oz is pretty dire.

A few people I have worked with have taken paid maternity, not sure what the legal requirement is for companies to pay.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

Hello

Cheers

Buzzy
it gets dark here in Brisbane around 7pm everynight!! no long summer nights.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:22 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Hello

Buzzy
I think this really sets the tone, honestly who cares what your friend thinks of the UK, she clearly is a Chav, or Westie or Bogan or whatever they call it in Queensland.
Oh and Australia had hundreds of Pizza Hut restuarants(with desert and salad buffets) for years(and believe me, the Pizza tastes much better than in the UK) altough Pizza Hut made a recent decision to close them.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

- She is surprised that we have Pizza Hut restaurants. In Australia there is no such thing as a pizza restaurant - just take away and delivery.
You usually do get free delivery - everyone gets junk mail from pizza places, just make sure you use the coupons and pizzas are dirt cheap.Don't think we have ever paid a delivery fee
very true - my mate parked facing the wrong way in a quiet street, wide enough for a bus to park sideways, and my brother-in-law was horrified! His face was an absolute picture, Knowing the way my mate parks in the UK - skew-wiff, wherever he can get the car in, we just laughed. Used to work with a guy who had one of those little Smart cars, and he used a roadside parking space, but instead of parking parallel to the kerb like those each side of him, he parked rear-end in. Wonder what the Aussies would make of that!

Any burger without beetroot is good Aussies love beetroot, its in everything,It stains the fridge, stains the worktop, stains the tupeprware and taste yeuch! Save me from the Beetroot Menace

Quite right, maternity rights are sparse and where they do exist, they are way behind the UK.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You usually do get free delivery - everyone gets junk mail from pizza places, just make sure you use the coupons and pizzas are dirt cheap.Don't think we have ever paid a delivery fee

very true - my mate parked facing the wrong way in a quiet street, wide enough for a bus to park sideways, and my brother-in-law was horrified! His face was an absolute picture, Knowing the way my mate parks in the UK - skew-wiff, wherever he can get the car in, we just laughed. Used to work with a guy who had one of those little Smart cars, and he used a roadside parking space, but instead of parking parallel to the kerb like those each side of him, he parked rear-end in. Wonder what the Aussies would make of that!

Any burger without beetroot is good Aussies love beetroot, its in everything,It stains the fridge, stains the worktop, stains the tupeprware and taste yeuch! Save me from the Beetroot Menace

Quite right, maternity rights are sparse and where they do exist, they are way behind the UK.
anyone interested in a pizza hut fanchise?!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:43 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

lol!

its dire enough having to sit in a pizza hut restaurant in the uk....god only knows how bad it would be in aus....the smell, the heat...yuck!

oh, mind you, they probably have aircon in the aus restaurants! wish theyd introduce that concept in uk pizzahut restaruarnts.

sue
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ossigeno
A few people I have worked with have taken paid maternity, not sure what the legal requirement is for companies to pay.
A quote on Maternity pay:
"39 per cent of female employees in Australia can take an average of seven weeks’ paid maternity leave, up from 28 per cent in 1997.
Although 77 per cent of women in the finance and insurance industries have access to paid maternity leave, only one per cent are covered in the retail sector, and 2 percent in hotels and restaurants
."

Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My last employer, who only employed 10, took weekly deliveries of soft drinks and beer. Maternity a strange one, where does the money come from? Will it go the same way as pensions?(!)
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for teachers and Victoria but when they go on maternity leave they are guaranteed a post (not necessarily the one they left of course) after 5 years - the idea is to allow the mother to look after the child until he/she starts at school. Seems more eminently sensible than the 'leave the infant with the baby sitter and get back to work, oh, BTW babysitter, what's the name of my child again' approach.

Roads in the UK were largely constructed before the advent of the motor car; roads in Australia were largely constructed after the advent of the motor car. Roads in Oz are generally wider so the law does not allow you to park on the 'opposite/wrong' side of the road. Different laws framed in different circumstances.

All of Australia is in lower latitudes than the UK so not surprisingly the daylight hours are much longer in summer and much shorter than winter. I noticed on the weather this morning that there were less than 8 hours of daylight and more than 16 hours of darkness in Southern Scotland today - lovely crisp, sunny day and I can see the snow on the hills in the background though - noice.

I'll leave the take away pizza and X factor comments to the more discerning gourmands and viewers of the forum.

OzTennis
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: My friend from Oz has just left and here's her impressions of the UK

Not true.

They're not as widespread as the UK, but we definitely have them.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Not true.

Agreed, BOGOF in both countries. They do it all the time on shoes in Oz.

OzTennis
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:47 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Not true.

I've yet to see one, I spend too much time in the supermarket as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.